Feedback on Arashiyama 1K Stone

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
SteveG

Feedback on Arashiyama 1K Stone

Post by SteveG »

I have one of these in-house for a video and played with it a little this afternoon.

Can anyone contribute their feedback/opinions on this stone? Speed, hardness, feedback, how it worked on different steels, etc.

I was surprised how splash and go this stone was right out of the gate. I first gave it a light dressing with an Atoma 140 while checking for initial flatness - it was pretty darn flat OOTB.
Nmiller21k

Re: Feedback on Arashiyama 1K Stone

Post by Nmiller21k »

Steve do you have the dimensions on the stone?
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

This is one that I have not used. I have the 6k, like many others, but the 1k was not available when I first got into this. That is to say that neither Mark nor any other vendor I deal with carried it until now. I too am curious but don't really have a need for one. Not that, that has stopped me in the past, lol.
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Nick, I'll need to measure, but it looks to be the same dimensions as the Arashiyama 6K stone.

Big brain fart as I didn't take into account the stone is new to CKTG.

Any thoughts on the 6K? I'll do my own forum searches on the 6K as well.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

SteveG wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:38 pm Nick, I'll need to measure, but it looks to be the same dimensions as the Arashiyama 6K stone.

Big brain fart as I didn't take into account the stone is new to CKTG.

Any thoughts on the 6K? I'll do my own forum searches on the 6K as well.
Fairly hard, Splash and go and leaves okay contrast. It really does go beyond what I would call a 6k stone, which is why I suppose some call it an 8k. Just a wee bit of bite left in the edge. I would say that it is a shade less refined than they Kitayama 8k but that is not a bad thing at all. It is much harder than it too. Speaking of which, for a hard stone it has genuinely good feedback. Pretty quick with metal removal as well. Maybe not so fast as my SG6k but not far behind it. I like the edge from the Arashiyama loads better than the Shapton, though.

Speaking of the Kitayama, that one could use a good video too. These older suggested stones ARE still relevant. Rika 5k, Arashiyama 6k and Kitayama 8k are all classic and all work well in their own role.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

We sold it for a couple years but it just never got traction.

It's hard and lasts a long time. Fairly slow to dish and not super aggressive if I remember my test of it correctly. Feedback is so so and the finish it leaves is nice for a 1k stone. You could use this as a 1 stone sharpener if you wanted to and it would work fine. I really wanted to pair it with it's 6k brother in a set which was the primary reason I brought it back. Needs a soak of about 5+ minutes.

I'm going to keep sending you a stone or two each shipment so you can cover the more popular stuff. Feel free to use it if you want. I'm happy to take it back used and will give it to Alton. He's itching to try more stones.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:45 pm We sold it for a couple years but it just never got traction.

It's hard and lasts a long time. Fairly slow to dish and not super aggressive if I remember my test of it correctly. Feedback is so so and the finish it leaves is nice for a 1k stone. You could use this as a 1 stone sharpener if you wanted to and it would work fine. I really wanted to pair it with it's 6k brother in a set which was the primary reason I brought it back. Needs a soak of about 5+ minutes.

I'm going to keep sending you a stone or two each shipment so you can cover the more popular stuff. Feel free to use it if you want. I'm happy to take it back used and will give it to Alton. He's itching to try more stones.
I can't speak for the 1k, as I said, I have never used it. What I can say is that I like to pair the 6k with a Shapton Pro 1k as they make a nice one two punch. Adding the Pro 2k between them is a nice touch too.
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Thanks Mark, will do.

Thanks Kit for the input.
Jason B.

Post by Jason B. »

The 1k & 6k Arashiyama was my first quality waterstone set and one I still hold in high regard. The 1k is like others have said, harder than a king but not as hard as a Chosera... probably somewhere in-between. It's muddy on softer steels and single bevels while acting more like a Shapton on harder steels giving up less abrasive and loading a bit.

I like the feedback it gives but mostly I like how the 6k follows it. When my 1k broke I used one of my many other 1k stones to fill it's place but nothing ever worked as well as the Arashiyama.
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Thanks Jason, I was hoping you'd jump in here. :-)

I'm going to re-shoot the video (just finished actually) and include your comments if that's OK.
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

The Arashiyama 1k is my soft muddy stone...but then my hard stone is the Nubatama Ume 1k XXhard. I like the stone a lot. It is not a super fast cutter but it does the job. Edge quality is good. Feel is ok...it ain't a Chosera. I like using this for single bevels, like Jason said. For me, this stone is good and fun to use (because it is messy and feels good) but for getting the job done in a hurry, a SP or Nubatama is a better choice.

...come to think of it, I use my Arashiyama 1k in concert with my Rika 5k. They are similar in many ways.

I have a review of the 6k posted in the review subforum. I really like the 6k. Excellent edge, fast enough, great feel. It is a reasonably close stand in for the Nanaiwa 4k Lobster.

Of course one of the big pluses for the Arashiyama stones is they are super reasonably priced.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

cedarhouse wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:18 am The Arashiyama 1k is my soft muddy stone...but then my hard stone is the Nubatama Ume 1k XXhard. I like the stone a lot. It is not a super fast cutter but it does the job. Edge quality is good. Feel is ok...it ain't a Chosera. I like using this for single bevels, like Jason said. For me, this stone is good and fun to use (because it is messy and feels good) but for getting the job done in a hurry, a SP or Nubatama is a better choice.

...come to think of it, I use my Arashiyama 1k in concert with my Rika 5k. They are similar in many ways.

I have a review of the 6k posted in the review subforum. I really like the 6k. Excellent edge, fast enough, great feel. It is a reasonably close stand in for the Nanaiwa 4k Lobster.

Of course one of the big pluses for the Arashiyama stones is they are super reasonably priced.
Oh, how would you describe the lobster? That is another odd ball that I have not used.
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

The lobster is a nice stone. It plays well with the Snow White, IIRC. I never got to use it side by side but I currently own a 4k Nubatama Ume...they are very similar. They take relatively little water, I consider them on the harder side, little mud produced, feeling is very pleasant, and edge quality is very good. I do consider the Ume to be the advertised grit rating...I don't recall on the Lobster.

I have a review of the Lobster here: https://ryansvignettes.wordpress.com/20 ... terstones/. Rereading it, I am sure I would have a lot more to say about it now if I were to redo the review.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

cedarhouse wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:11 pm The lobster is a nice stone. It plays well with the Snow White, IIRC. I never got to use it side by side but I currently own a 4k Nubatama Ume...they are very similar. They take relatively little water, I consider them on the harder side, little mud produced, feeling is very pleasant, and edge quality is very good. I do consider the Ume to be the advertised grit rating...I don't recall on the Lobster.

I have a review of the Lobster here: https://ryansvignettes.wordpress.com/20 ... terstones/. Rereading it, I am sure I would have a lot more to say about it now if I were to redo the review.
Thank you, Ill check out the review. :)