Hot & Spicy

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Jason H

Hot & Spicy

Post by Jason H »

I thought I would check in here to see if anyone is into the world of chili? I love all things spicy and have tried with some degree of success to grow some super-hots. My current favorite is the Red Savina- great hab flavor and not too hot to enjoy. Any other chili-heads here?

I’ll post a few pics when I can figure out how...
Kit Craft

Re: Hot & Spicy

Post by Kit Craft »

Pablano is about as exotic as I get. I am not into things being overly spicy. No ghost peppers or reapers or whatever those things are that the tarts on youtube try to eat and almost die.

I like chili but not chili peppers. :P
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I am a simple Cholula guy here.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

I really enjoy playing with chili mixtures. Not always hot --- frequently I'm just mixing flavors and tastes. Used to have a much higher tolerance but I let it drop over time. Still enjoy it hot though.

Growing them? My green thumbs turn everything brown. Heck. I can't even grow mold in my shower.
thegingerninja.abq

Post by thegingerninja.abq »

You talking chili, or chile?

https://youtu.be/kjgOuXw2xqA
J david

Post by J david »

We are a little past season, but I really enjoy smoking some Hatch chiles and making a hot sauce out of them. You need to seek out the hottest variety and add garlic, onion, carrot if you like, vinegar, salt and a little honey.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

J david wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:51 pm We are a little past season, but I really enjoy smoking some Hatch chiles and making a hot sauce out of them. You need to seek out the hottest variety and add garlic, onion, carrot if you like, vinegar, salt and a little honey.
You can get a few extra weeks out of your garden if you use raised beds, sometimes more. Well, this year was a bad one for me, gardening wise. Last year was extraordinarily great though! I dried loads of peppers and tomatoes and canned loads upon loads of both as well. I even canned green tomatoes and zucchini, it worked okay. I digress, raised beds have generally extended my gardening season. :)
Carter

Post by Carter »

I am still harvesting serrano, poblano, mutlato, cayenne, and ghost in the garden.....most of the cayenne and ghost get dried and ground...they are so prolific, there is no way to eat all of them fresh.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Did someone say "Chilero?"

Smoked Red Savina Powder is one of my favorites to "kick it up a notch". It is excellent for adding a strong smoky flavor to meats with a Heat Index of 10, Very Hot! Note the deep dark red color with an aroma guaranteed to make you sneeze at least half-a-dozen times. (If only we could convey smell-o-vision or scratch-n-sniff)

savina.png
Last edited by gladius on Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason H

Post by Jason H »

Carter wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:26 pm I am still harvesting serrano, poblano, mutlato, cayenne, and ghost in the garden.....most of the cayenne and ghost get dried and ground...they are so prolific, there is no way to eat all of them fresh.

How do you grind the ghost? I have dried super-hots but can't figure out how to grind them without creating a biohazard with the fine dust it produces.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Jason H wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:31 pmHow do you grind the ghost? I have dried super-hots but can't figure out how to grind them without creating a biohazard with the fine dust it produces.
---
HazMat for sure...I use a Molcajete to grind just the amount required for a particular dish, otherwise buy it already ground.

Extreme heat should be respected for sure...I had too much MadDog (357,000 scoville) once and the side of my tongue got blistered, top of my head felt tingly and I heard ringing in my ears - disabled for about an hour before recovery!
Last edited by gladius on Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
benslammin

Post by benslammin »

We take chili seriously in Texas...

+1 hatch green chiles (fresh fire-roasted, peeled--these freeze great for when it's not in season)

spice/seasoning mix also includes--salt, ancho, guajillo, chipotle (with a little of the adobo added in), smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, mexican oregano (regular oregano is nowhere near as good for this) and I like to add a splash of worcester sauce. The amounts vary according to taste. Hope this helps!
Carter

Post by Carter »

Jason H wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:31 pm
Carter wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:26 pm I am still harvesting serrano, poblano, mutlato, cayenne, and ghost in the garden.....most of the cayenne and ghost get dried and ground...they are so prolific, there is no way to eat all of them fresh.

How do you grind the ghost? I have dried super-hots but can't figure out how to grind them without creating a biohazard with the fine dust it produces.
I use a coffee grinder and wear a damp dish towel as a facemask.
MaxM.

Post by MaxM. »

Espalletes, Moritas, hatch, poblano, guajillo, cascabel, arbol.
supersharp

Post by supersharp »

I enjoy growing them as well. This year I only raised sweet peppers and bought the warm ones at the farmers market. I smoke them as well as dehydrate and grind into powder with a cheap coffee grinder. I do the same with garlic and some herbs then incorporate it into a seasoning shake or dry rub for BBQ. Smoked garlic and chilies go together well.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Normally I would be harvesting at this time too but my gardens did very poorly this year. It isn't just me, a lot of people had a crappy year in my area. We had odd weather. Loads and loads of storms and very little sunlight and warmth. Summer didn't happen until the end of September and was over two weeks later... :(

I got lucky and had a second chance garden with pumpkins, tomatoes, squash and oddly some corn. I did not plant this garden, my turkey did. Let me explain: We rotate turkey sanctuaries on my property every year and apparently some of the seeds sewed themselves. My little turkey shit garden. I got a few items from that patch of chaos and the pumpkins are doing okay, we will pick them this weekend.
Jeff540

Post by Jeff540 »

I've made hot sauce for local farmer's market, friends, and family the last few years. Mainly used habs, red jalepenos and ghost. Lots of ginger, garlic, and other stuff to keep it interesting and not just hot for hot's sake.

This year has been killer busy at the day job, so no gardening or much sauce making. One key is to prep/cook when you can with the windows open and not too many mammals around (family, dog, etc). Wear disposable gloves (nitrile) and goggles would probably be a good idea. Don't pick your nose afterwards either....
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

New Mexico Hatch extra hot chiles for me. I used to travel there for business frequently and have a vendor that gets very hot chilies from a few farmers and ships me 20 - 40 pounds at a time. We blister them on the gas BBQ and store them in zipped locked bags in the freezer. Just remember to take out your contact lens before pealing the skins!
slobound

Post by slobound »

Just reading this is making my eyes water and my tongue tingle. I'm only growing jalapeno's and shishito peppers in a raised bed.
-- Garrick
thegingerninja.abq

Post by thegingerninja.abq »

jacko9 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:57 pm New Mexico Hatch extra hot chiles for me. I used to travel there for business frequently and have a vendor that gets very hot chilies from a few farmers and ships me 20 - 40 pounds at a time. We blister them on the gas BBQ and store them in zipped locked bags in the freezer. Just remember to take out your contact lens before pealing the skins!
Legit, except we say roast. Nice!