Sujihikis vs Mioroshi for Skinning and Slicing

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
hainew

Sujihikis vs Mioroshi for Skinning and Slicing

Post by hainew »

So I have a question for those of you with more experience than I.

Say your choice was between filleting a fish with a deba, and then skinning/portioning/slicing with a sujihiki, or doing the whole job with a Mioroshi? Obviously neither is ideal but I guess I am wondering if the yanagi pedigree of the mioroshi (mainly the fact it is single bevel) would generally be seen as an advantage over the sujihiki when it comes specifically to fish, or whether the thinness of the sujihiki means it remains preferable?

Given a deba and suji on your left, and a mioroshi on your right, all ideal sizes for the fish, what do you reach for?
Chefcallari

Re: Sujihikis vs Mioroshi for Skinning and Slicing

Post by Chefcallari »

So....

A mioroshi deba is supposed to "replace" a deba and yanagiba. Its almost as good as both but not lol
Like if you could choose between "only a deba, suji, or mioroshi" you could pick up the mioroshi deba and break, skin and portion a fish.
Now being a pro, a mioroshi is ideal. I have a 210 western deba that (other than the length) acts very much like a mioroshi deba ... Its thick enough at the edge that i can knock of heads and fly through pin bones like they dont even exist, but thin enough that i can portion the fillets with one clean pull cut. Since i got it its literally taken my 270 suji out of the equation.
Now if you have the need, time, and budget to get both a suji(or yani) and a deba. They both do there jobs better than the mioroshi deba.
But if you can only get one (aka a highlander knife lol) a mioroshi deba is probably your best bet.
J david

Re: Sujihikis vs Mioroshi for Skinning and Slicing

Post by J david »

+1. Nothing separates skin from filet better than a single bevel. I have a large 210mm funiyuki that I use for skinning and portioning. It is very thin at the edge so I added a microbevel. Since then, pin bones are no problem. I don't often break down whole fish and hacking through larger bones would be an issue with this knife, but the mioroshi deba should handle them better.