How to use a kiritsuke-yanagiba?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Qapla'

How to use a kiritsuke-yanagiba?

Post by Qapla' »

For those who use kiritsuke-yanagibas and similar true-kiritsuke (not kiritsuke-style gyuto) knives, do you use them for non-Japanese cooking? How do you use them in general?

Some ways back I picked up a kiritsuke-yanagiba, though it'd been sharpened by someone who thought it was a double-bevel knife (?!), so I'm probably going to have to have it resharpened professionally to get it to a more proper configuration. Since then, though, I've still been mucking around with it, but it sees little practical use these days since my skill base is with Western knives. (The point design seems to make it a weaker choice for meat-carving tasks such as removing silverskin etc., though it's passable as a slicer.) I've occasionally tried using it for dicing vegetables, but the lack of hand-clearance makes it damned clumsy (or it could just as easily be my own lack of skill when it comes to creating all those damned "accordions" with things like scallions).

In terms of videos to watch to learn more, I've seen things like this and this, but I notice that some cherry-picking of target materials has been done (e.g., meat/fish foods being sliced are tiny compared to the blade and are 100% boneless). This seems somewhat better regarding the fact that a multipurpose knife might be used on materials that aren't that much smaller than it, though I'm not certain what to look at that isn't what would be done with any other kind of slicer.

As far as rotary-peeling goes, I've occasionally mucked around with it using small sections of cucumbers. There I've had no issues, and it's just a matter of practice.

Does anyone here have any advice on how to use them, especially for non-Japanese cooking? (I did read Nozaki's book some ways back, so I'm not entirely ignorant about Japanese cutlery.)
gladius

Re: How to use a kiritsuke-yanagiba?

Post by gladius »

The yanagiba is a purpose built knife.

You may find this article helpful...

https://www.knifeplanet.net/best-sushi-knife/
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

It is a slicing knife, not a carving knife - so you wouldn't use it with meat that has bones. Some prefer the double bevel sujihiki.
I tend to use a boning or petty knife for removing silver skin. The shorter length seems handier.
Qapla'

Post by Qapla' »

gladius wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:15 am The yanagiba is a purpose built knife.

You may find this article helpful...

https://www.knifeplanet.net/best-sushi-knife/
I'm aware yanagiba in general are meant for slicing, and to my understanding kiritsuke knives in general are multipurpose knives used as yanagiba/usuba/mukimono fusions. I'm just trying to get better ideas of what good technique is, as I'm downright inept with it (as is expected for someone who doesn't cook Japanese food and is new to single-bevel knives).
Ourorboros wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:27 am It is a slicing knife, not a carving knife - so you wouldn't use it with meat that has bones. Some prefer the double bevel sujihiki.
I tend to use a boning or petty knife for removing silver skin. The shorter length seems handier.
Yeah, for meat-carving tasks, bone-in or otherwise, I use a sujihiki. I brought the topic up mainly to get a better idea of what to use the kiritsuke-yanagiba for besides the obvious (i.e., sushi slicing).
gladius

Post by gladius »

So if you saw the yanagiba video ref. in the article, slicing technique is demonstrated. As you may have found out it excels at slicing fish but is terrible to mediocre at best at other tasks hence the purpose built design. This is the point of the article.
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

Ah, well what I got from pictures & a short search is that this is in all ways a yanagiba. It is only the tip that is different - it's a yanagiba with a reverse tanto tip as opposed to the drop point/modified wharncliffe of regular yanagibas.
It isn't a fusion of the yanagiba & kiritsuke. Not meant as an all around knife or for other food prep, slicing only.
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

Is it a Takobiki? Which is a yani just with a squared off tip?
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

K-tip yanagi sounds like a fun thing to bring out for slicing pork loin roast or boneless ham or turkey roasts on a presentation board at the table. Good for a home sashimi or sushi party too. I can just see Salt bae tapping the edge on the board in my head... :D
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Chefcallari wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:13 am Is it a Takobiki? Which is a yani just with a squared off tip?
This is a knife made to slice fish. Not roast pork or any other protein. As you said, one should get a sujihiki if you want to do that.
A takobiki is not really a yanagiba with a squared off tip. A takobiki is less tall and thinner than a yani so the edge angle is almost the same as the somewhat thicker yanagiba. It is actually more like a Fugubiki than a yani.
It is also meant for sashimi prep but has a very different feel in hand due to its much lighter weight. Fish slicing with a yanagiba is reliant on the weight of the blade. Using a Takobiki requires applying slight pressure during the slice.
I believe that in Japan, the use of one over the other is both a subjective choice and a regional preference.
Qapla'

Post by Qapla' »

Hi all, just to clarify what exactly the knife is (there seems to be some confusion):

The knife is what they call "kiritsuke-yanagiba", which isn't a tako-biki nor a sujihiki. It's a single-bevel knife with y-esque height and length but k-style squareness near the heel and k-style point.
Information on whether it's used solely as a yanagiba or as a multipurpose knife seems to be conflicting; the videos I posted in my original post indicated people using them for usuba-style tasks as well as slicing, while one of the sites below (and some posters here) maintain that it's used purely for yanagiba tasks and merely happens to be a variant design of yanagiba.

For some examples of what they look like (you can see the users in action in the videos I posted earlier, and use of orthodox yanagiba in the post from Gladius):
Orthodox examples here and here.
Western-grip example here.
Extra-long example here.
Short example here.
gladius

Post by gladius »

While the Sakai Takayuki demonstration does show vegetable preparation, that is not the single bevel yanagibas forté; many of those are specialized techniques. Also consider some of those knives being demonstrated are double-bevel kiritsuke’s which do make good general purpose knives. I have both single-bevel and double-bevel kiritsukes and there is a drastic difference in cutting.
Qapla'

Post by Qapla' »

gladius wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:53 pm While the Sakai Takayuki demonstration does show vegetable preparation, that is not the single bevel yanagibas forté; many of those are specialized techniques. Also consider some of those knives being demonstrated are double-bevel kiritsuke’s which do make good general purpose knives. I have both single-bevel and double-bevel kiritsukes and there is a drastic difference in cutting.
This explains my experience then (that is, that such would require specialized techniques and aren't normal for their use). Thanks.

To the others, I've never used a takohiki nor any other kind of single-bevel cooking-knife; the knife was just something I had picked up and tried to ape some techniques with. Seems that given that I don't cook Japanese food or do much of any fish-slicing, it'll remain just a curio to occasionally play around with.