minimum size cutting board for 12 inch chef knife?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
noobknife

minimum size cutting board for 12 inch chef knife?

Post by noobknife »

What do you guys think is the minimum size cutting board I should have for 12 inch chef knife?
snipes

Re: minimum size cutting board for 12 inch chef knife?

Post by snipes »

12" blade?
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Thats a big knife.... I like my cutting boards as big as my space can handle and really design my boards to the space instead of the knife. But, IMO, the width needs to be at least two inches longer than the blade on each side. So at least 16 inches wide, preferably 18, length I would go for 20-24.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Yeah, I don't think normal rules apply here. Normally, people say the knife should at least fit diagonally across the board, but in your case, the board probably need to be at least 2" deeper than the length of the knife, much like Kalaeb suggests. Beyond this, I would go with a board that is at the very least 18" wide. I think you could get away with an 18x18 square, but probably not a 16x16 one. Otherwise, 16x20 or above should work.

I think the key factor here is recognizing that with a knife that big, it is much easier to damage the edge by accidentally knocking it, because the knife itself is bigger, heavier, and requires more force and carries more inertia than a smaller knife, which means accidentally moving to far outside the board can result in damage more easily than with a smaller knife. So, if your board space is surrounded by objects, I would go even bigger.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

I agree with Joe. In fact I find this true with any knife and do not agree with the "your knife should fit diagonally" thing. That is fine if you work on an open island. If you have a back splash behind you this is detrimental! No poking the tip into the wall! Yeah, you can work diagonally, and I do but not 100%. I like my boards to fit my knives. :) Biggest you can afford and reasonably clean. I have a big, big sink so this is not an issue but some do not.

Take this with a grain of salt as I am a home user and a bit awkward with a knife. These guys have better knife skills than I!