Chinese Cleaver

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
kirkystyle

Chinese Cleaver

Post by kirkystyle »

I am an avid user of Chinese cleavers. I have 3 right now and is pretty much the only type of knife I use. I have been on an internet quest in search of stainless steel Cleaver that is the size, weight, and thinness of the large CCK. I have the large CCK stainless steel Cleaver that I bought directly from China (Shipping was a hurt) It is nice but still just not quite like Reactive steel version. But I recently came across this cleaver

https://www.houzz.com/product/48514150- ... y-cleavers

The Steel is VG 10 Which is not my favorite but has a nice hardness. It only weighs 12 oz and 1.8 mm thick and pretty much the same dimensions as the large CCK. Has anybody seen or use or know someone who has seen or used one of these. I will probably just pull the trigger and buy one as a Christmas present to myself, but I thought I might as well ask if anybody has any info on this knife since I can't find any reviews other than Amazon
noobknife

Re: Chinese Cleaver

Post by noobknife »

I had asked about the non damascus version of that zhen cleaver a few days ago and the people here advised me against it.

Here was my post: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3470
kirkystyle

Post by kirkystyle »

The Thing is I have own and used pretty much all CCK cleavers they are truly the standard that I put up to all other Chinese Cleavers. The only other Cleaver I would consider buying would be the Suin VC VG 10, I just worry about the weight. Also, that post is just like every other post on here. " I never heard of ZHEN but they must suck" or " I never used That cleaver but it must suck" or " I heard they sucked so they must suck". I am looking for someone on here who has really used this particular cleaver. I think my only concern about this knife is the grind and not thinning out behind the edge like most Shuns or the Artifex series
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

They don't have a great reputation for their heat treat. But in this instance something softer than their listed HRC might be better. Depends on how you use it. They have a non-damascus version of about $60.
noobknife

Post by noobknife »

To point out, I think the same people also say that the heat treat on the shun cleaver isn't very good either.