Show us your new knife!

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Mowgface

Re: Show us your new knife!

Post by Mowgface »

Robstreperous wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:54 am Ladies and gentlemen... I bring you the Tsourkbata Kotetsu -- Chef Lex edition. Glued it up this morning.

Do you happen to have a choil shot post repair?

Mowgs
Trith

Post by Trith »

I received my first Japanese knife today, a Kurosaki AS 240mm Gyuto. To say I'm thrilled is an understatement, I can't stop staring at it. These are the only pictures I have of it before using it and developing a patina along the edge.

I also picked up a CCK 1303 cleaver and a Tsubazo 180mm Gyuto. For $23 the Tsubazo is interesting. It's not awful, and with some work it might even be decent. I plan on sanding the handle and ferrule smooth and then roasting the handle it to darken it up. And oiling it afterwards.

nakneker

Post by nakneker »

You choose wisely Trith, congrats!
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Mowgface wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:20 pm
Robstreperous wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:54 am Ladies and gentlemen... I bring you the Tsourkbata Kotetsu -- Chef Lex edition. Glued it up this morning.

Do you happen to have a choil shot post repair?

Mowgs
Ha. No.. I am not the mystery buyer of the repaired Chef Lex knife.

I named mine the Chef Lex edition because her posts and interactions with Mark inspired me to buy one of Mark's unhandled blades and put an unused Marko Tsourkan handle I had lying around on it.

I really like the knife very, very much. Except for food release it ticks all all my boxes for a light to medium prep 210.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Trith wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:59 pm I received my first Japanese knife today, a Kurosaki AS 240mm Gyuto. To say I'm thrilled is an understatement, I can't stop staring at it. These are the only pictures I have of it before using it and developing a patina along the edge....
Very good choice, an excellent knife for the money! It's been one of my favorites for several years.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
pgugger

Post by pgugger »

Trith wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:59 pm I received my first Japanese knife today, a Kurosaki AS 240mm Gyuto. To say I'm thrilled is an understatement, I can't stop staring at it. These are the only pictures I have of it before using it and developing a patina along the edge.

I also picked up a CCK 1303 cleaver ...
Nice! I also have the cleaver and the 210 Kurosaki AS. I love both of them. They kept me satisfied for a while but now I am back for more, haha. Enjoy.
pgugger

Post by pgugger »

nakneker wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:04 pm This one if just getting wrapped up. My second Black Lotus, 255x56 with mid weight grind, spaghetti oak handle.
Bluenoser87 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:30 pm Knife is done! Jeff just sent me these pics. Stunning stuff
Wow, these are incredible. How does the maker achieve the polished black and the contrast in general?
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I got my new Carter Hopkins yesterday - can't post photos beaus with my job won't allow me to use sharing photo sites yet (may change next year). Hoping Carter will post some shots for me. Thing is downright nasty in the kitchen - big knife, Sabatier profile, very thin, differentially hardened blade - carved the prime rib last night in its debut (SO gave it to me as my present) - has done two meals today. I'm now under orders to get one for her next XMAs - to me it's just the schiz - kind of like a Masamoto KS, but taller, thinner, and with a much nicer handle and saya - I can't thank Carter enough - very pleasant to work with, and I now have two of his knives. If you are seeking something well beyond the ordinary, a full custom knife is well worth it. We discussed grind, profile, size, and handle - guy is beyond good - I'll probably never take it to work, but it is now my prime go to blade here. Spent much of my day at "work", but since I did not need to serve tonight, I got out at 4:30 and came home for more utter joy with this thing. My regular work knives are still fantastic, but this one is just beyond expectations and already feels just right in my hands. Beautiful, functional, and just a downright joy
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

pgugger wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:24 pm
nakneker wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:04 pm This one if just getting wrapped up. My second Black Lotus, 255x56 with mid weight grind, spaghetti oak handle.
Bluenoser87 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:30 pm Knife is done! Jeff just sent me these pics. Stunning stuff
Wow, these are incredible. How does the maker achieve the polished black and the contrast in general?
I believe he did a coffee etch to get the dark. I would encourage you to message him on Instagram, super nice guy. Just do a search for Black Lotus knives. Thanks for the good words.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

lsboogy wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:27 pm I got my new Carter Hopkins yesterday - can't post photos beaus with my job won't allow me to use sharing photo sites yet (may change next year). Hoping Carter will post some shots for me. Thing is downright nasty in the kitchen - big knife, Sabatier profile, very thin, differentially hardened blade - carved the prime rib last night in its debut (SO gave it to me as my present) - has done two meals today. I'm now under orders to get one for her next XMAs - to me it's just the schiz - kind of like a Masamoto KS, but taller, thinner, and with a much nicer handle and saya - I can't thank Carter enough - very pleasant to work with, and I now have two of his knives. If you are seeking something well beyond the ordinary, a full custom knife is well worth it. We discussed grind, profile, size, and handle - guy is beyond good - I'll probably never take it to work, but it is now my prime go to blade here. Spent much of my day at "work", but since I did not need to serve tonight, I got out at 4:30 and came home for more utter joy with this thing. My regular work knives are still fantastic, but this one is just beyond expectations and already feels just right in my hands. Beautiful, functional, and just a downright joy
I hope we see pictures, sounds like Carter did his thing! I’d agree with everything you said about working with him, I had a very positive and enjoyable experience too! He’s a talented man!
delmar

Post by delmar »

Lsboogy, sounds alot like a knife Carter did for me a few months back. KS sabatier profile, blown out to 275mm, bit of back belly ala recent konos.

I prepped a bunch of stocks, mirepoix and stuffing for tgiving and xmas, and that knife kicks a$$. Couldnt agree with you more. Enjoy in good health...at home...too pretty to take to work.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it. This was a fun project and had somewhat of a theme to the build.....see my Subforum - Recent Work for more details.

Here is the knife I made for Isboogy, a 259mm gyuto made of 26C3 at 64/65Rc. The blade is 49mm tall and weighs 5.85oz. The handle and saya are Zircote.

joanjet

Post by joanjet »

Marc4pt0 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:45 am Medium carbon Damascus clad 52100 core gyuto with forged (and super thin) distal taper from Tobi / Metal Monkeys.
Very impressive F&F, and performance.
That looks incredible!

How tall is that? How do you like the D handle on it?
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Black Lotus arrived! This knife is so perfect. The convex grind works really well. Jeff delivered exactly what I asked for. I’ve been using it constantly over the last few days. I should’ve took some beauty shots before getting patina all over it but I was too excited to wait :lol:
84C95BBB-F91C-4A31-9BCD-ECC27FF6FD0A.jpeg
651991CE-344E-4885-AC07-7E366AAFE4B4.jpeg
217DFB85-268B-4120-8B29-8E9E94A08B2E.jpeg
Organic

Post by Organic »

That is an amazing looking knife!
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:59 pm Black Lotus arrived! This knife is so perfect. The convex grind works really well. Jeff delivered exactly what I asked for. I’ve been using it constantly over the last few days. I should’ve took some beauty shots before getting patina all over it but I was too excited to wait :lol
What a great looking knife and it sounds like it does well on the board. That patina really makes for a neat contrast on that Damascus. Congrats!
Juna.

Post by Juna. »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:59 pm Black Lotus arrived! This knife is so perfect. The convex grind works really well. Jeff delivered exactly what I asked for. I’ve been using it constantly over the last few days. I should’ve took some beauty shots before getting patina all over it but I was too excited to wait :lol:

84C95BBB-F91C-4A31-9BCD-ECC27FF6FD0A.jpeg

651991CE-344E-4885-AC07-7E366AAFE4B4.jpeg

217DFB85-268B-4120-8B29-8E9E94A08B2E.jpeg
Wow, congratulations. That’s absolutely stunning. Definitely going to have to add Black Lotus to my grail list.
Ma_sha1

Post by Ma_sha1 »

My first Shig.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

Ma_sha1 that's a great looking pair of knives. I really like the matching handles.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

Bluenoser87 the Black Lotus knife is stunning. I hope someday to be able to convince myself to get one.