Show us your new knife!

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
mauichef

Re: Show us your new knife!

Post by mauichef »

Kit Craft wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:41 pm I just opened and played with my KS and I have to tell you, by looks I was not blown away, not at all. It has spotty F&F, even though the spine is rounded. The handle install is a notch above Tojiro, at best and there is epoxy everywhere! There is a tiny bump or two on the edge profile but that will come out on a stone easily in a few seconds or even minutes, tops, not worried. However, in hand the knife feels good and I instinctively knew what to do with it on the board.

What does all of this mean. Well, I have already named her. She is to be known as 'The Pedestrian Laser-horse". Honestly, that is just what she is. Less laser than any lasers that I own but more laser than any non lasers that I own, if that makes sense. This is just a first impression based off of a hand full of scallions, a carrot and a single potato. I will test her further tonight!

She has a butter face for sure but man does she feel good in hand. Will this knife make me happy, I am not sure yet but we are going to find out.

Pictures and measurements to follow. I have to pick my wife up from work, well, now!

Here we go, some crappy photos. Lighting is bad at this time of day. I will get better ones in a few days after some use.

Carrot confetti because, why not?

With the HD2 for comparison.

Kit's new KS Odyssey was starting to gain traction and deserved its own place on the forum. Moved to a new thread in customer reviews..... viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4785
AlbuquerqueDan

Post by AlbuquerqueDan »

A few new kids on the block:
20180131_071953 (1).jpg
1) Toyama 270 Suji in Blue #2(?) (I cut up some seared rib-eyes with this last night. Not only did the knife feel amazing, but it immediately created the most beautiful patina I have seen on my knives to date. This guy has me drooling over more knives from this maker).

2) Gengetsu 240 in W#2 (I haven’t been able to try this one out yet. It's very short for a gyuto. I have to admit that I don’t feel any immediate bond with this knife, so you guys may see it in the BST in the next month or so, depending on how I like it after some use).

3) Kochi 210 in V2(?) (Wonderful knife. Very thin behind the edge, and I thinned the tip area just a bit to get it to sing. I’ve been reaching a lot for it since I got it).

4) Gesshin Ittetsu 180 single-bevel petty in W#2 (An absolute stunner. I’ve only used it for some boneless chicken breasts, but it feels great. If anything, it’s a bit light. That’s not a bad thing, I was just expecting a bit more heft from a single bevel. The tip is surgically precise. Can’t wait to play more with this one!)
Inhuman

Post by Inhuman »

Killer new blades , Dan.

That suji has a very generous amount of core showing , very attractive . Where’d ya pick that one up?
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

A new gyuto has joined my Sanjo knives. From left to right, Watanabe, Gihei, Munetoshi, Mazaki, Konosuke Sanjo, all of them exceptional. It's amazing to think of how many excellent blacksmiths and associated artisans work in Sanjo. According to Wikipedia the city is home to fewer than 100,000 people, one tenth the population of Sakai. For perspective Durham, where I live, has 2.5 times the population of Sanjo and the Traingle metro area has 20 times the population. I desperately would like to visit one day.
Last edited by Lepus on Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Lepus wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:21 pm A new gyuto has joined my Sanjo knives. From left to right, Watanabe, Gihei, Munetoshi, Mazaki, Konosuke Sanjo, all of them exceptional.
----
Sweet, how do you like the Munetoshi?
I've got three now and think they are fantastic...esp. for the price!
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I agree fully. I would not believe the price if I hadn't paid it myself. I bought it after the Shigefusa nakiri passaround a while back because I wanted a related nakiri. I like it better than the pricier Shig, it has so much character and it's an amazing cutter. I'm eagerly waiting for the Yahiko shirogami hairline passaround to get to me, too, I want to see what Mark has been able to get out of Sanjo.

As far as I'm concerned, the least incredible knife in that picture is the Watanabe, which is hard to type because the Watanabe is fantastic, but the others are all awesome knives and cost a lot less.
AlbuquerqueDan

Post by AlbuquerqueDan »

Inhuman wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:22 pm Killer new blades , Dan.

That suji has a very generous amount of core showing , very attractive . Where’d ya pick that one up?
Thanks. I'm stoked.

I got the Toyama from Japanese Natural Stones. Maksim finished it on some natural stones before sending it out, so the contrast of the metals is eye-popping in person (photos could never do that knife justice. I just looked at it for half an hour after my wife went to bed. I've never even come close to doing that with any other knife.)
Inhuman

Post by Inhuman »

Lepus wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:21 pm Image

A new gyuto has joined my Sanjo knives. From left to right, Watanabe, Gihei, Munetoshi, Mazaki, Konosuke Sanjo, all of them exceptional. It's amazing to think of how many excellent blacksmiths and associated artisans work in Sanjo. According to Wikipedia the city is home to fewer than 100,000 people, one tenth the population of Sakai. For perspective Durham, where I live, has 2.5 times the population of Sanjo and the Traingle metro area has 20 times the population. I desperately would like to visit one day.
Sweet lineup, Lepus !

I didn’t know you live in NC, I live in Wilmington , I know carter lives in NC too, we should all do a meetup sometime!
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

What do you think of the mazaki lepus?
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

There are dozens of us from Murphy to Manteo. Carter lives out in magical Asheville.

I like the Mazaki, but it is not without issues. It's sold as a 150mm yanagiba, but... come on. It's a petty. Steering is managable at that length and for board work the tip is tall enough for shallots, small pepper, and garlic. Unfortunately used as a petty it is microchip prone with a zero grind, so a microbevel is required. No knife ending chips, just the sort of thing you get from putting a 12-15 degree inclusive edge on a knife that isn't supposed to do that sort of board work. I think I have it dialed in now, but it took two tries.

If I had to pick one of the two it would be the Konosuke. That knife is serious business.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

This is a Makoto santoku.

The Makoto has been an interesting knife for me already, just two days in. I bought it knowing it was a Takefu made knife with a white #2 core and a stainless cladding. On first examination the most striking feature is the choil view; this thing is extremely thin. Held to a straight edge the Makoto shows a beautiful, consistent hollow grind on both sides, barely favoring the right side. I used it at work tonight and noticed the performance was strikingly similar to another Takefu made knife with a white #2 core and stainless cladding, one with a remarkably similar grind.

Take off the mask, the kurouchi and the handle, and what is underneath?

The Makoto is at its core remarkably similar to a Masakage Yuki. The surface changes are the finish, the kanji, and the handle. The handle is in the same vein as the stock handles on the Kashima and Kitaoka, which are my favorite handle, so that's a tangible improvement. The Makoto handle's rosewood has more figuring and color variation than the other two. The kanji and finish unfortunately I don't like as much. I think this knife merits a chiseled kanji, or at least something stamped fairly deep. I'm not sure how the Makoto kanji was applied. In his video Steve mentioned it being embossed, but didn't go into detail. It looks and feels almost laminated on top of the finish. If it's sturdy, that's fine, but the kurouchi swallows up the kanji unless the knife is in the perfect light. And while the kurouchi seems fine as kurouchi goes the rest of the fit and finish is so clean I think this knife would benefit from a precise nashiji or other more refined finish. The spine and choil in particular are beautifully polished. I am already tempted to polish the face myself, but that runs the risk of obscuring the kanji, and I don't want to take the handle off to polish deep.

Compared to the Yuki the concave grind is more pronounced on the Makoto, running a little deeper and higher toward the spine. I look forward to comparing it to my Fujiyama. Along the section right above the edge it's thinner than the Yuki. I was scared it would wedge or split at the end of the grind, but I cut some Yukons tonight with no complaints, which surprised me a bit. The profile on the Makoto is also exactly what I was looking for in a small knife, so I'm definitely satisfied. My first impression is that the Makotos are excellent first knives, perhaps even just great knives in general. I'm glad I got one now because I can see his prices going up deservedly. I could see myself buying this same knife and maybe a 270mm again with a different finish.

I plan on sharpening the knife tomorrow since the out of the box edge wasn't particularly good. I hope Kurosaki-san's knives feel like his teachers' on the stones.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

@lepus. Wow. I expect a few of those to sell based on that review alone.

Please add a comment on the heat treatment and edge retention when you can!
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

It took a few years before I got to this stage of the knife fever but finally I have a nice knife with a custom handle! This is a Hinoura Hakata 180 AS with custom handle from Chef Dui Pham. Enjoy!
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Nice Bob! Looks like an ornate handle.
loco_food_guy

Post by loco_food_guy »

Here is my brand spankin new Yuzou Tani B2 185 Deba with a MIND BLOWING Isaiah Schroeder Custom.

[imghttp://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah313/nathans123_123/61C38857-EF6A-4F4E-9EC2-931C9A706458_zpsqgynh8aa.jpeg][/img]

ChipB

Post by ChipB »

First buy in a couple of years
file (2).jpeg
salemj

Post by salemj »

Congrats, Chip. Reminds me of my own recent purchase of a Bloodroot. Not sure if it has steered me away from Japan-sourced knives, but it sure is something unique and special that I already admire.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

So many beauties in this thread. I added a few recently. One being my first 210. A Yahiko hairline and it has quickly picked up one of my favorite patinas.

I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Loco...can't see the photos :(
loco_food_guy

Post by loco_food_guy »

Thats wierd. I can see them. What do you see?