Show us your new knife!

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
AlbuquerqueDan

Re: Show us your new knife!

Post by AlbuquerqueDan »

milkbaby wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:48 pm
AlbuquerqueDan wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:41 pm I bought my first Japanese knife about a month ago, so these are all new.
- I have a fu-rin-ka-zan blue #2 usuba coming in the mail
Getting into these knives, learning new cutting techniques, and sharpening, has been a really fun adventure so far. So glad I dove down this rabbit hole!
Whoa... that's quite a nice collection. I can't wait to see what your collection will be like in a year or two. Or heck, even in a couple of months based on this pic! :)
Well, it's official. I have a problem! Here's what I got last week:

Takeda AS classic 210;
Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan Hon Kasume B#2 usuba;
Takeda AS classic honesuki. (I parted out two chickens with this last night. Pure unadulterated joy. What a great knife.)
Attachments
New knives.jpg
appleward91

Post by appleward91 »

AlbuquerqueDan wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:16 pm
milkbaby wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:48 pm
AlbuquerqueDan wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:41 pm I bought my first Japanese knife about a month ago, so these are all new.
- I have a fu-rin-ka-zan blue #2 usuba coming in the mail
Getting into these knives, learning new cutting techniques, and sharpening, has been a really fun adventure so far. So glad I dove down this rabbit hole!

Whoa... that's quite a nice collection. I can't wait to see what your collection will be like in a year or two. Or heck, even in a couple of months based on this pic! :)
Well, it's official. I have a problem! Here's what I got last week:

Takeda AS classic 210;
Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan Hon Kasume B#2 usuba;
Takeda AS classic honesuki. (I parted out two chickens with this last night. Pure unadulterated joy. What a great knife.)
How you liking the takeda gyuto?
AlbuquerqueDan

Post by AlbuquerqueDan »

[/quote]
How you liking the takeda gyuto?
[/quote]

Prepping family dinner with it last night is the only time I've used it, so I don't have too many impressions so far. I made scalloped potatoes, though, and the release on the takeda is everything people say it is: the slices just fell right off. Crazy. I like the height, too. Perfect for the Yukon gold potatoes I sliced. Aestetically, I love the super-rustic finish. It feels perfectly balanced and very, very solid in hand.

On the down side, I wish it had a larger flat zone. I had to change my cutting style to a bit more rocking to julliane, and left a few cuts only partially done.

When I first took it out of its box and held it, I thought it would probably replace my Sukenari HAP40 as my go-to knife. Now having used it, I don't think it's there yet, but there's no doubt it is a very special knife. It will be my scalloped potato knife, though!
fuzion

Post by fuzion »

+1
mauichef wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:26 pm @apple..and I'll be really interested to hear your thoughts on these 2 legends. Fun times indeed :)
Marc4pt0

Post by Marc4pt0 »

220mm from Oatley. Good stuff!

Can't seem to add actual photo, keeps saying file too large. So here's a link. Suppose that'll have to do for now

[Img]https://up.picr.de/31161616pg.jpg[/ img]
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

Some fairly new knives rocking their new duds (by Matt Delosso). I got to hang out with him for an hour in his shop last night while he was finishing up the handles. Super nice guy, and he’s got some serious wood :shock:

From Left to Right:

Konosuke MB: Pequia burl with South American imbuia core & white G10 liner, black maple burl ferrule, and white G10 & nickel silver spacer.

Watanabe: Spalted jatoba, African Blackwood ferrule, and brass spacer & end cap.

Toyama: Spalted mango burl with flamed redwood core, and black G10 & nickel silver liner.

--- Steve
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

PD, those are STUNNING. I'm in love man! 😍
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
Inhuman

Post by Inhuman »

Sukenari w#1 honyaki 270mm gyuto
Delosso handle , Black m3 titanium ferrule, african blackwood, silver nickel spacer
263mm edge
53+mm on heel
:D :o
fuzion

Post by fuzion »

Comparing Toyama and Watanabe side by side, did you notice any differences between the two
pd7077 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:35 pm Some fairly new knives rocking their new duds (by Matt Delosso). I got to hang out with him for an hour in his shop last night while he was finishing up the handles. Super nice guy, and he’s got some serious wood :shock:

From Left to Right:

Konosuke MB: Pequia burl with South American imbuia core & white G10 liner, black maple burl ferrule, and white G10 & nickel silver spacer.

Watanabe: Spalted jatoba, African Blackwood ferrule, and brass spacer & end cap.

Toyama: Spalted mango burl with flamed redwood core, and black G10 & nickel silver liner.

fuzion

Post by fuzion »

Inhuman

Post by Inhuman »

This threads on fire ! Nice knives gents
salemj

Post by salemj »

fuzion wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:02 pm Image
Wait, really? All new? Hahaha. Very, very nice.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

fuzion wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:42 pm Comparing Toyama and Watanabe side by side, did you notice any differences between the two
In another thread, I mentioned that while they have a similar profile, the Watanabe seemed to have a flatter heel area whereas the Toyama felt like it has a bit of back belly near the heel. In use, this felt like the Watanabe had an abrupt stop when using the heel section with a bit of rock. Kind of hard to see it on the profile shots.

(Top: Toyama / Bottom: Watanabe)

The choil shot, as always, doesn’t tell the full story. Toyama appears to be a bit thinner behind the edge, and the Watanabe looks to have a tad more convexing on the right blade face. However, they go through product with eerie similarity in terms of food separation & release. I don’t have wedging issues with either knife.

(Left: Toyama / Right: Watanabe)
--- Steve
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Is the Watanabe a honyaki or a high polished pro?
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

Kalaeb wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:32 pm Is the Watanabe a honyaki or a high polished pro?
Just a somewhat polished pro. I haven’t taken it to a super high grit yet.
--- Steve
fuzion

Post by fuzion »

Carter and heiji I just got this past couple of weeks, the other two within the last few months but haven't gotten around to using them yet. So still 'new' to me, haha.
salemj wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:15 pm
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

fuzion wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:05 pm Carter and heiji I just got this past couple of weeks, the other two within the last few months but haven't gotten around to using them yet. So still 'new' to me, haha.
salemj wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:15 pm
That carter is a looker. Yes, the knife... :lol:
ashy2classy

Post by ashy2classy »

Marc4pt0 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:12 pm 220mm from Oatley. Good stuff!

Can't seem to add actual photo, keeps saying file too large. So here's a link. Suppose that'll have to do for now
31161616pg.jpg
Fixed it for you...love Oatley's knives. Hella performers from what Iv'e seen. Enjoy!
fujiyama

Post by fujiyama »

Inhuman wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:36 pm Sukenari w#1 honyaki 270mm gyuto
Delosso handle , Black m3 titanium ferrule, african blackwood, silver nickel spacer
263mm edge
53+mm on heel
:D :o
:shock:
slobound

Post by slobound »

Incredible knives, guys!
-- Garrick