Let's make a Gassan 210mm Gyuto

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
salemj

Re: Let's make a Gassan 210mm Gyuto

Post by salemj »

I don't like Santoku tips. I like a tip that can actually turn in food (something with less height, so that you can do an ugly core a stem out of a tomato in a pinch, or just move a bit more nimbly when doing any kind of tip work, with less drag, etc). I think this is one of the big differences between the original KS and many imitations, in fact: it has a very nice dagger tip. So, for me, Tim's drawings would be an improvement: something a bit more Funayuki-like, with a longer, more intense drop from the spine and a pointer tip.

My sense is that I'm not the only one. The weird, stereotypical aversion to santokus seems to come down to two things: its association with women's favorite "shorter" knife, and its tip. Otherwise, it has so much going for it that lots of people prefer, not least a big flat spot and extra height. So, I just figure that if you fix the tip issue and provide a bit more length, that may help a bit. Obviously, some oversized santokus do just fine (Takeda!!). But I just received one that I'll probably modify a bit because it just doesn't feel or look right (not a Takeda).

The knife above is a different case entirely: it has a very strong angle on the handle, which is something Mark already recommended against. I'm not sure why, but I can imagine several reasons. Point is, that is another way to "fix" the tip: angling the handle allows a flatter edge to approach the spine at a steeper angle.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Kit Craft wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:26 am I like that handle...you had to know that was coming. looks like a big santoku to me...I like santoku knives. :lol:

Edit: After seeing Aarons video I don't think I would like the grind on that knife. I like speed. :( It is a workhorse or at least it seems to be and not a racehorse.
My Gassan is in between workhorse and racehorse. Seems more nimble than his.

Takes a wicked edge and has plenty of speed. I am a fast cutter. I cut fast with this one. Did a bunch of tests last night with the Koishi, Gassan and Makoto and the Gassan may have edged out the Koishi overall. Helluva performer.
Jeffry B
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Kit Craft wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:34 am
Kalaeb wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:31 am Edge profile like this one:

This just happens to be a 220mm and is one of my most used. There is only a small flat in the back inch with a nice gentle curve to the tip. Too much flat and IMO it really limits your cutting style to a chop. A profile like this is more universal, can chop, rock, push and pull.
That is a good looking knife, who made it?
Michael Rader
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

jbart65 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:36 am
Kit Craft wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:26 am I like that handle...you had to know that was coming. looks like a big santoku to me...I like santoku knives. :lol:

Edit: After seeing Aarons video I don't think I would like the grind on that knife. I like speed. :( It is a workhorse or at least it seems to be and not a racehorse.
My Gassan is in between workhorse and racehorse. Seems more nimble than his.

Takes a wicked edge and has plenty of speed. I am a fast cutter. I cut fast with this one. Did a bunch of tests last night with the Koishi, Gassan and Makoto and the Gassan may have edged out the Koishi overall. Helluva performer.
I am sure it is! But the more I use them the more of a laser person I become. I think the big thing was that I needed to up size to love lasers.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Kalaeb wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:39 am
Kit Craft wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:34 am
Kalaeb wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:31 am Edge profile like this one:

This just happens to be a 220mm and is one of my most used. There is only a small flat in the back inch with a nice gentle curve to the tip. Too much flat and IMO it really limits your cutting style to a chop. A profile like this is more universal, can chop, rock, push and pull.
That is a good looking knife, who made it?
Michael Rader
Thank you, I have heard that name more than a few times.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Taller than 45mm please, closer to 50.
Length oversized 210, 220 to 230 would be idea.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

The Gassan was a knife that disappeared shortly after I got on cktg. Always liked the look. I appreciate taller 210 gyutos. I also agree with a longer 210
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I got shot down on this idea from the owner of Gassan.

However, I like this blade shape we came up with so I'm going to shop it around to some of my other blacksmiths. Maybe I'll give the attribution by calling the "GG" for Gasan Gyuto or something similar that tips you guys off that we're doing this profile. I'll start putting out some feelers.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

Also if I could throw in my two cents could you do like a Tokyo style of the machi like with the HD2. That little bit of extra space makes all the difference in the world for how comfortable it makes a pinch grip on the knife. Also definitely more towards the 50 mm or over would be so awesome.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I get the sense Gassan doesn't really want to send anymore stuff to the US. no? Unfortunate. I'd love to get a tall nakiri from them or a 240.

Oh, well. At least I've got a Gassan 210, so I am covered. Got to get it custom handled soon (feel free to pm me, custom guys!)
Jeffry B
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:32 am I got shot down on this idea from the owner of Gassan.

However, I like this blade shape we came up with so I'm going to shop it around to some of my other blacksmiths. Maybe I'll give the attribution by calling the "GG" for Gasan Gyuto or something similar that tips you guys off that we're doing this profile. I'll start putting out some feelers.
So this idea got shot down, but... will there be any other Gassan offerings to look forward to?
After all the praise for the heat treat, the thinness behind the edge, and the looks-better-in person, it's hard not to be eager to see more from them. That last 210 "close-out" came and went so fast ;)
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I use my Gassan 210 several times a week. Tall but not heavy, a thin grind that ends in a fine tip. Resharpens easily and holds a good edge. Best 210 I've come across, though it is too flat for rockers.

Dislike the plain utilitarian handle, but I haven't found someone to custom rehandle ... yet. Half-tang design is a bit of an issue.
Jeffry B
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I was tempted by the Gassan a few times but it seemed like something else always popped up and caught that my attention.
Last edited by Jeff B on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
salemj

Post by salemj »

jbart65 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:10 pm I use my Gassan 210 several times a week. Tall but not heavy, a thin grind that ends in a fine tip. Resharpens easily and holds a good edge. Best 210 I've come across, though it is too flat for rockers.

Dislike the plain utilitarian handle, but I haven't found someone to custom rehandle ... yet. Half-tang design is a bit of an issue.
Mind a picture? I think I remember reading this thread a while back and not having a good sense of just what the 210 looked like...
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
gladius

Post by gladius »

salemj

Post by salemj »

gladius wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:41 pm
Hahaha. Thanks, Gladius. Oddly enough, it doesn't come up with a search on the site, but I feel like I watched this video before after watching it now...I wonder if I actually searched it out on google before. So clearly I've just forgotten everything...!

Anyways, the link was appreciated.
~J

Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Is this a Sanjo blade?
gladius

Post by gladius »

Chefspence wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:32 pm Is this a Sanjo blade?
---
I don't think it is but is made further north in Yamagata, Mark can confirm.