Favorite unloved knife.

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Joshigon

Favorite unloved knife.

Post by Joshigon »

I think it would be fun to talk about our favorite unloved knives. Knives that are not being talked about on the forum. Ones that don't get the attention they deserve.

I absolutely love my masakage mizu, but I never hear anyone ever talk about it. It's a beautiful blade, pretty thin, and stays crazy sharp. So what are some knives that you love that others do not?
Josh Cooper
Gregory27

Re: Favorite unloved knife.

Post by Gregory27 »

Love my Murata Buho santoku. Great price on that line, and mine will take a scary edge and holds it well. It's a little barebones on the finish and handle, but terrific steel.
inzite

Post by inzite »

TF in general, alot of talks about variances but not enough talk about how good they are when you land a good one. Not enough talks about the difference between the different offerings and how the variance changes in between. But it is all good, just means you can keep buying them without marked up prices and TF can remain willing to work with you to create the ideal one. :D
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Kikuichi warikomi damascus gets no love on this forum. Yet despite the dozens of knives I own plus the ones I've flipped.... I still reach for this knife a lot.

Thin, sharpens easily and gets really sharp. Nicely finished, enough of a flat spot to chop but can easily rock with it.

Real head scratcher to me why it isn't better loved.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

We have a tester HAP40 Santoku with a cheap bolsterless, black pakkawood handle and they put my name on it. It was the first prototype that we tried before coming up with the Kohetsu brand name. Sue has threatened me to never sell it. :)
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
J david

Post by J david »

Moritaka gets little love and their AS is excellent. There are things I don't care for about them but the core steel treatment is excellent, and the the grind on my samples have been very good. I guess the only thing I don't dig about them is the stainless tang. Either stainless clad or not, I don't like the hybrid. In fact, an overall exceptional blade at the price point. Stock handles aren't bad either.
Chicagohawkie

Post by Chicagohawkie »

J david wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:58 pm Moritaka gets little love and their AS is excellent. There are things I don't care for about them but the core steel treatment is excellent, and the the grind on my samples have been very good. I guess the only thing I don't dig about them is the stainless tang. Either stainless clad or not, I don't like the hybrid. In fact, an overall exceptional blade at the price point. Stock handles aren't bad either.
Had a few Moritaka blades. At their direct sales cost, they’re ok. I’ve always found them heavy, thick and very unrefined. If you put some serious thinning and finishing they’re decent. And yes, the rosewood and horn handles sold direct are not bad.
old onion

Post by old onion »

Wow,my Moritaka AS 210 is fantastic.I find it is thin behind the edge and very sharp.It's light and nimble too. I enjoy using it a lot.I would buy it again.Maybe there are differences from knife to knife,I don't know,but mine is here to stay. I have the Masakage Mizu 240 also and it is a beautiful knife but the out of the box sharpness sure wasn't like my Yukis.It actually was a little thick with a rounding on the right side of the blade,just above the bevel, that just popped carrots off the board.All is well after a quite lengthy thinning session though.
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

I bought a Mutsumi Hinoura 240 mm gyuto in stainless clad shirogami 2 which is freaking great. It's a middleweight wide bevel (at least from visual and tactile inspection, I haven't tried the bevel on the stones yet) that is thin behind the edge with very nice performance. I got it during last year's K&S black friday/cyber monday sale because I have a Tsukasa Hinoura kitaeji gyuto which is one of my favorites but a bit of a drawer queen due to being way expensive and my not relishing having to redo the nice original finish done Hinoura Sr. The other reason I got it was that it was a great price on sale and is stainless clad; I only had one other stainless clad carbon knife at the time and liked the idea of another. But in hindsight, I would prefer to have a kurouchi carbon or iron clad version because I always wipe down my knives carefully regardless of stainless or not.

I just looked at the price of the offerings at cktg and see that the Hinoura knives are not a bargain buy, so maybe that's part of why not discussed much. It's about $100 more than say the 240 Doi gyuto which is $300. Maybe $250-300 is sort of the sweet spot for bang for buck that most forumites dwell in?
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

The 8 inch wusthof ikon gets no love, but holy hell is it a great line knife.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Joshigon wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:37 pm I think it would be fun to talk about our favorite unloved knives. Knives that are not being talked about on the forum. Ones that don't get the attention they deserve.

I absolutely love my masakage mizu, but I never hear anyone ever talk about it. It's a beautiful blade, pretty thin, and stays crazy sharp. So what are some knives that you love that others do not?
The Mizu, imo, is highly underrated. It is a lot of knife for the money. Mine performed better than my Yuki. I lent it to my brother who has since claimed it. :evil:

Idk about unloved or not but I really think my Miyabi Koh is a lot of knife for the money too. I paid $99 for it and it has a perfectly rounded and polished spine and choil, seamless pakka wood integral bolster/handle, with exactly neutral balance and has an almost laser like quality to. Not perfect but a good knife.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Kit Craft wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:18 pm
Joshigon wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:37 pm I think it would be fun to talk about our favorite unloved knives. Knives that are not being talked about on the forum. Ones that don't get the attention they deserve.

The Mizu, imo, is highly underrated. It is a lot of knife for the money. Mine performed better than my Yuki. I lent it to my brother who has since claimed it. :evil:
I figured for sure youd say a tojiro ;)
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Cutuu wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:21 pm

Nah, they have a very outspoken fan base and get recs loads. I think they too are a great value but not unloved. Maybe by some but in general they seem well received.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

I will say, I love my tojiro ITK nakiri. Great performance for the price.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I think Goko knives are my pick. I like my yo gyuto a whole lot and I liked the nakiri a coworker owns and I periodically try. They had some horrible handles for a long time, but no more. The current handles are simple, excellently well made, and exceptionally appropriate. I think the nakiri is a good example of a big, meaty knife that's a bit less than a Watanabe or the like.

The Doi gyuto might fit, too. I don't see it discussed too much but on release it had a wishy-washy reception. Mine is sublime.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Kit Craft wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:23 pm

Nah, they have a very outspoken fan base and get recs loads. I think they too are a great value but not unloved. Maybe by some but in general they seem well received.
Yeah your right i was just joking :)
timos

Post by timos »

I kinda wish I never sold my harukaze 180mm, the AS edge help up very well and the thing was ground exceptionally. Honestly its the best knife I have used in that size.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Okay, don't laugh. My first restaurant job was at 15 at a little mom and pop shop. The owner had a set of personal knives that he kept up on a high shelf. He would pull them out occasionally to prep. The things he could do with those knives astounded me. He could have easily put most YouTube posers to shame. I was so impressed I had to get a set. I ordered them and anxiously awaited their arrival. When they came I put them to immediate use, they lived in my hand for three years and I tortured them relentlessly and they always asked for more.

For me, my favorite unloved knife is: https://www.miracleblade.com

Seriously, I did not know any better, ignorance was bliss, but like I said, they ended up putting out a ton of covers.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Kalaeb wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:30 am Okay, don't laugh. My first restaurant job was at 15 at a little mom and pop shop. The owner had a set of personal knives that he kept up on a high shelf. He would pull them out occasionally to prep. The things he could do with those knives astounded me. He could have easily put most YouTube posers to shame. I was so impressed I had to get a set. I ordered them and anxiously awaited their arrival. When they came I put them to immediate use, they lived in my hand for three years and I tortured them relentlessly and they always asked for more.

Seriously, I did not know any better, ignorance was bliss, but like I said, they ended up putting out a ton of covers.
By Jove, those are ugly. :lol:
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Kalaeb wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:30 am Okay, don't laugh. My first restaurant job was at 15 at a little mom and pop shop. The owner had a set of personal knives that he kept up on a high shelf. He would pull them out occasionally to prep. The things he could do with those knives astounded me. He could have easily put most YouTube posers to shame. I was so impressed I had to get a set. I ordered them and anxiously awaited their arrival. When they came I put them to immediate use, they lived in my hand for three years and I tortured them relentlessly and they always asked for more.

How could you write this and expect us not to laugh! That's frickin hilariously awesome! Ironically, my first knives were also the miracle blade. It was what i first started using when i started teaching/learning myself how to cook. I still own and occasionally grab the serrated Knives of the set. I had to get rid of the others they were dangerously dull.