Don't judge me for this one..

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
appleward91

Don't judge me for this one..

Post by appleward91 »

So I got into knives here within the last year or a little over a year ago. My first purchase was the hap40 210mm kohetsu wa. Since it was my first knife I actually initially was very impressed with the knife, because although it was my first knife, I have used other people's knives at work so it was not my first handling of carbon knives. It seemed in my opinion to be very very good of a knife. Due to the price tag,(wasn't a lot) I thought to myself, "oh my god, if this 180$ performs like this, how would these 300$+ be like? Knife gods?" So after reading throughout the forums and people at work and having the ability to purchase knives at will, I decided to try all the "hype/famed/praised" knives. I finally got my hands on a konosuke hd2, 2 kono whites, a couple takedas, a KS, shibata, couple others, etc.. I didn't touch my kohetsu hap40 AT ALL, I didn't even sharpen it for a long time while using these knives. Well one day, i sharpened all my knives so it just so happens that I had to sharpen my hap40 gyuto. Well one day I'm prepping and I decide to take it back out. To my surprise, it just slid through everything in its path like butter(just as I had remembered). Since then, I have pulled that knife out over all those so called famed knives, and in my opinion.. it does the job better than all the other knives with the exception of the takeda and meats. For some reason, the takeda just grabs meat better than anything I have put my hands on. The only complaint I have with the kohetsu is the sticking issue, but being a laser style knife, i feel like that is expected a bit. Plus, the hd2 also sticks for me, so it's just something I deal with. On the other hand, the takeda is also the best with preventing stuff from sticking. But the takeda does not flow through product like my hd2 or kohetsu. So I do understand that all knives are not perfect and some are better than others in different areas, but the ease of use, low maintenance, and its ability to get stupid stupid buttery sharp, I feel that it is the best all around knife in my bag. So this had me thinking of just picking up other knives in the hap40 line and parting with the other "praised" knives because honestly, and being unbiased about it, the kohetsu hap40 is the best knife in my bag.. just my opinion, ^ don't judge me for this one.. hah.
Kit Craft

Re: Don't judge me for this one..

Post by Kit Craft »

We all have our favorites, glad you found the one you like. :)
Igalor

Post by Igalor »

I'll take the ks off your hands if you want to!
appleward91

Post by appleward91 »

Kit Craft wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:54 pm We all have our favorites, glad you found the one you like. :)
True, but my only point being, all too often you see peoples favorites being these "named" brands. And I wonder if it really is the performance of the knives, or is it just the named brand and people just going with the herd saying that those knives are their fav. Not saying it really couldn't be the performance of them, just playing devils advocate with it.
deskjockey

Post by deskjockey »

A lot of people don't' have the experience or attention to detail to really discern subtle differences in products so, they tend to follow "the herd" and become fanboys and fangirls of whatever product they end up with.

Once you get past that, there are a lot of personal preferences and pet peeves. What one person really loves may not be the preferred choice for someone else. That doesn't mean either product is inferior or superior, only different.
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

deskjockey wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:21 pm A lot of people don't' have the experience or attention to detail to really discern subtle differences in products so, they tend to follow "the herd" and become fanboys and fangirls of whatever product they end up with.

Once you get past that, there are a lot of personal preferences and pet peeves. What one person really loves may not be the preferred choice for someone else. That doesn't mean either product is inferior or superior, only different.
Pretty much sums it up.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

No judgement, you like what you like. Most of kitchen knives is personal preference.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

appleward91 wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:59 pm
Kit Craft wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:54 pm We all have our favorites, glad you found the one you like. :)
True, but my only point being, all too often you see peoples favorites being these "named" brands. And I wonder if it really is the performance of the knives, or is it just the named brand and people just going with the herd saying that those knives are their fav. Not saying it really couldn't be the performance of them, just playing devils advocate with it.
I am sure there are people in this world who are brand myopic, no question.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Ηaving said all that, are you then planning on "classifieds" spree, or perhaps a passaround? Hmmm..?

"put yo money where your favorite knife is" :v
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
appleward91

Post by appleward91 »

Altadan wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:28 pm Ηaving said all that, are you then planning on "classifieds" spree, or perhaps a passaround? Hmmm..?

"put yo money where your favorite knife is" :v
Offer up for any of them *thumb up*
gladius

Post by gladius »

Ooh, a KS passaround would be popular!
appleward91

Post by appleward91 »

gladius wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:28 pm Ooh, a KS passaround would be popular!
Don't get any bright ideas now
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Id love an hd passaround. I would slightly disagree or atleast try to put some context to the opinion of people just following the crowd here. I think there is alot of guys here with alog of knives. And i ghi k many of them dont mind liking what they naturally like. There has been some vuys directly compare the kohetsu to the hd and some preferred the hd. It doesnt mean everybody prefers it, as you do not. But i dont think one should be so quick to assume they r just following the crowd. For example, im liking my kurasaki laser a little more than my shibata kashima. Does that make it a better performer than the kashima? I don't think neccesarily so.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Who care man, you like what you like. I want to try a kohetsu after having tried both the Kono hd andw2 lasers, and I honestly have a feeling I might like it just as well, if not better. I tried a shibata r2 and wrote a review about it stating I didn't like it. Haven't heard any dislike other than my own, but there you have it...my personal opinion and experience. Yours is just as relevant as anyone else's. I very much like the Gihei and don't care if someone says something else is better. It's a knife that I could happily use for the rest of my life. Anyways, congrats on finding what you like. I sure as shit wouldn't mind trying your KS!
gladius

Post by gladius »

appleward91 wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:30 pm
- -
Ahh, share the love, get in the spirit!
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

gladius wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:33 pm
- -
+1 :)
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Cutuu wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:15 am
gladius wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:33 pm

- -
+1 :)
++1 :twisted:
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
salemj

Post by salemj »

Even people that love particular brands and knives are usually aware enough to highlight they love them for certain tasks that they do more often, and/or because they are an especially good match with their technique. This isn't always the case, but one of the nice things about this particular forum is that people usually do this. There are exceptions, of course, but even those exceptions (for the most part) immediately highlight these things as "obvious context" if someone call them out. I'd say a great example of the latter is Nmiller, who is very aware of his own preference, needs, and demands on knives in the kitchen, but usually mentions or comments on knife recommendations as responses to specific requests, so he doesn't feel the need to details all of the nuance unless asked. My sense is that many people do this with the knives above around these parts, but that nuance can get lost in the noise.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I don't care about brand names. I don't think most of the board regulars do, either. It's all about performance, tailored to my particular needs and likes.

I've owned or tried around 75 Japanese knives and almost all of are exception cutters. Only a few didn't really impress me.

I do think some knives do certain things better than others, however. And some knives are move versatile than others.

I love my Tetsuhiro Hammered, for example. Perhaps my best chopper. But I wouldn't pull it out to mince herbs. That would call for a Tanaka Sekiso. The Sekiso is my best overall knife, in fact, even though it cost less than anything else I own.

Looks, fit and finish, handle comfort, profile, steel, ease of care, edge taking, edge keeping, food release -- all of these things introduce small (or not so small) gradations that sway us toward one knife or another.

As for the Kohetsu Hap40, Aaron Gibson called it one of the best performing knives he's used in one of his vids. High praise all right.
Jeffry B