Bucket lists

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Bensbites

Bucket lists

Post by Bensbites »

So, what’s on your bucket list? Knife or knife related?

I have a mysterious knife that was highly modified hen I sent it to a friend/forum member to be modified. I was told I will be getting some blades and stones to borrow and try out when the knife comes back in the next couple weeks. My bucket list is to try stuff and figure out what I like, while making cook woodwork to pay for it all.

What’s on your list.
Kalaeb

Re: Bucket lists

Post by Kalaeb »

I am going to try to get my hands on an Oatley this year. I am on Raders list again, but should not be up until 2019. I think this year I am going to try for more temporary trades just to try some stuff out.
Rufus Leaking

Post by Rufus Leaking »

I want a Takeda cleaver. Problem is- I’m a cheap bastard- that, and I’ve already got a cleaver that can actually handle bones.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Rufus Leaking wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:46 pm I want a Takeda cleaver. Problem is- I’m a cheap bastard- that, and I’ve already got a cleaver that can actually handle bones.
While I understand being frugal, isn’t a cleaver that can go through bones going to be night and day different than a takeda cleaver. Please correct me, but I am assuming the takeda should avoid bones!
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Don't really have a bucket list of any kind.
Rufus Leaking

Post by Rufus Leaking »

That Takeda cleaver isn’t meant for bones, and would likely suffer if treated like a Dexter. I think that Takeda cleaver isn’t even the best choice for proteins. If I had a thinner cleaver, like the moritaka or the Takeda, I might just use it over all my knives. I just like cleavers. They are surprisingly nimble for all that height. I’ve taken only my Dexter on travel before and been quite happy.
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

Only a few knives on my 2018 list:

- Honyaki (should have this deal done soon)
- Yoshimune W#1 240: the tip on this one (based on reviews and pics) looks awesome
- Matsubara B#2 tall nakiri
- Shig: if I ever get lucky enough to find one

Other than that, it’s time for me to focus on Jnats ☺️
--- Steve
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

I want a Kono fuji 240 or a Dalman. Other than that I'm going to sell one knife for every new knife.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Shig
timos

Post by timos »

hoping to do my first knife show this year :) been on my list since i was about 12
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

timos wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:45 am hoping to do my first knife show this year :) been on my list since i was about 12
I hear you will be in Connecticut in April. I was told by a forum member we should all meet there.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

I really do hate to write this but....

I want to try an original KS. I presently own 3 different knives inspired by it: Kashima, Tsourkan A2, Doi. Honestly, I'm kind of interested in seeing what the original's like.
ashy2classy

Post by ashy2classy »

Even though I need to cut myself off, I still want to own...

Comet petty and gyuto
Halcyon Forge gyuto
Dalman gyuto
Kato WH gyuto

and want to try...

Takeda gyuto
timos

Post by timos »

Bensbites wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:07 am
timos wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:45 am hoping to do my first knife show this year :) been on my list since i was about 12
I hear you will be in Connecticut in April. I was told by a forum member we should all meet there.
yeah! I was going to put up a post about it at some point ; it would be a great place to meet up with forum members in the area and shoot the breeze. There will be other kitchen knife makers there too. 36th Annual NCCA knife show in Mystic Ct. April 28th and 29th.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Robstreperous wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:13 am I really do hate to write this but....

I want to try an original KS. I presently own 3 different knives inspired by it: Kashima, Tsourkan A2, Doi. Honestly, I'm kind of interested in seeing what the original's like.
I bet you can find someone on here to lend you one for a week, no? Who wants to help rob out?
gladius

Post by gladius »

Robstreperous wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:13 am I really do hate to write this but....

------
Rob, you have probably seen this post... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4448
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I want to tighten my collection up and refocus. I have too many knives taking up cap space that don't see enough use. I would seriously consider a Kato, too, if it works out.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Which Doi? I have a ID gyuto or a KD yangi you are welcome to try for a few weeks.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Kalaeb wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:13 pm

Which Doi? I have a ID gyuto or a KD yangi you are welcome to try for a few weeks.
Hey there. Thanks very much for the offer.

I've got this Doi https://www.chefknivestogo.com/doibl2gy24.html the ones that became available late this summer. Traded Inhuman an HD2 for it.

There are so many knives the original KS gyuto has inspired I was kind of interested in trying the original. Just to see what it's about.
Brontes

Post by Brontes »

270mm Teruyasu Fujiwara Denka

240mm Nubatama Black Steel Gyuto

240mm Kiyoshi Kato Gyuto