This should be fun. Masamoto KS Coming Soon

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Re: This should be fun. Masamoto KS Coming Soon

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Kalaeb wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:12 pm
Honestly though I would rather Mark just get in a few dozen Kashimas...I see there was a custom handle one yesterday.
[/quote]

Right, or the matsubara "ks" looks pretty sweet too.
[/quote]

We have both of these with no handles sitting on the shelf. Just email me if you want one or the other and I'll set it up. Otherwise, you'll see them as well put them on over the coming weeks.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
alanhuth

Post by alanhuth »

I think I have every KS clone that Mark has offered in the last six months. And strangely, the one I like the best is the one that is continuously available: the Moritaka. Lots to look at, and it sharpens like a dream. I like it a lot better with a dark handle, though. The white handle kind of ruins the whole Darth Vader look.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

alanhuth wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:34 pm I think I have every KS clone that Mark has offered in the last six months. And strangely, the one I like the best is the one that is continuously available: the Moritaka. Lots to look at, and it sharpens like a dream. I like it a lot better with a dark handle, though. The white handle kind of ruins the whole Darth Vader look.
I agree, that one is a winner. I had one at one point, but the handle I installed on it was just a little to big so I never reached for it and ended selling it, I need to get one again.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

alanhuth wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:34 pm I think I have every KS clone that Mark has offered in the last six months. And strangely, the one I like the best is the one that is continuously available: the Moritaka. Lots to look at, and it sharpens like a dream. I like it a lot better with a dark handle, though. The white handle kind of ruins the whole Darth Vader look.
Have you tried the Matsubara ginsan?

I'vs tried four KS clones but none have really come close to the original. Still have not used a Moritaka, though.
Jeffry B
Georgek

Post by Georgek »

The moritaka ks that I tried was more in line with the Doi interpretation than any other KS attempt.
Curious to learn more about the grind on the Ginsan Matsubara
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

jbart65 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:47 am

I'vs tried four KS clones but none have really come close to the original. Still have not used a Moritaka, though.
Would you say that is for better or worse or is it indifferent? I find this an interesting topic, clones. Because I have seen more than a few well experienced people go from saying that clones were something to avoid to doing a full 180 and recommending them because the original KS was hype...I don't know if that is an example of a simple opinion change, a change of views, or someone making a statement tongue in cheek but it has been a common turnaround across three forums in the past two years. The caveat that comes from those individuals is that the knife is purpose built for a pro, be that true or not I haven't a clue as I have used neither a KS nor its clones.

Rambling aside, would you rather have seen something closer to the spirit of the KS?
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

None of the clones were quite as versatile as the KS, Kit. All quite good in their own way, but distinctly different. Some of these clones matched parts of the KS, but not others.

The KS is distinct for its great length but surprisingly nimbleness, it's light weight but unexpected sturdiness, it's fine tip but stout heel. Feels great on the board being monosteel and sharpens easily to an ultra fine edge. Rocks, pushes, chops - and serves as a sujihiki too.

Hard to put that all in one package. My only knock is that being white steel it couldn't hold an edge a long time if tasked to, say, chop a lot of tomatoes.
Jeffry B
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Thank you and totally understand the tomato thing! I have the same issue with my Ginga...Ginga is probably the softest White # 2 I have ever used.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

jbart65 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:07 am None of the clones were quite as versatile as the KS, Kit. All quite good in their own way, but distinctly different. Some of these clones matched parts of the KS, but not others.

The KS is distinct for its great length but surprisingly nimbleness, it's light weight but unexpected sturdiness, it's fine tip but stout heel. Feels great on the board being monosteel and sharpens easily to an ultra fine edge. Rocks, pushes, chops - and serves as a sujihiki too.

Hard to put that all in one package. My only knock is that being white steel it couldn't hold an edge a long time if tasked to, say, chop a lot of tomatoes.
Funny thing, I asked the same thing of a friend last night and his answer was similar.

In R&D generally speaking, you can be the first and always known for being the first. Or you can improve on other people’s work, hoping to make enough of an improvement that your “thing” becomes the gold standard. I was wondering if the KS fits into this category, it sounds like no. Too many variables to improve all of them, but yes to some, depending on the maker.

All this is quite interesting, I have a KS on loan to me that should arrive today.
cjmeik

Post by cjmeik »

jbart65 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:07 am

Great summary of the KS in a nutshell, Jeffry.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

They don't do much for me personally. Too long on the edge, too short on the height, too soft, fully reactive. I would take a Konousuke HD2 all day long over the KS.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:17 am They don't do much for me personally. Too long on the edge, too short on the height, too soft, fully reactive. I would take a Konousuke HD2 all day long over the KS.
Is it really that soft? Any worse than a Kono White 2 laser? Or any white 2 laser for that matter. Some of the softest white 2 I have used. Thin edge does not help for retention either. Still great knives.

PS: I already have an HD2. Why settle for one knife when you can have both? :?

Edit: WTH happened to me. I buy three 240s and now I want a 250mm+ knife...Ya'll broke me.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:17 am They don't do much for me personally. Too long on the edge, too short on the height, too soft, fully reactive. I would take a Konousuke HD2 all day long over the KS.
I love your candor Mark.
That should put the cat amongst the pigeons :lol:
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

You know, now that I think of it and the mention of Kono. What about a Mono Swedish stainless convex Laser-horse (see what I did there) with an Kono Funayuki Gyuto profile? But, you know, something we could see more than 5 of every 20 years...lol.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

A KS is definitely not a knife I'd recommend to as many people as an HD. Frankly, there's not many people I would recommend it to. For most home cooks, it's overkill at 255mm. For pros, the white steel will require more upkeep on a busy prep day, and there is of course the reactivity.

Ultimately I sold my KS because it was more knife than I needed given my current patterns.

When I imagine myself being a pro, I'd take a Kamo R2 or a Kanehiro to work before I took a KS. Or a Kohetsu Hap40.
Jeffry B
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

jbart65 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:22 pm
When I imagine myself being a pro, I'd take a Kamo R2 or a Kanehiro to work before I took a KS. Or a Kohetsu Hap40.
You know, I can not imagine myself in a pro kitchen at all so it is hard for me to think like that. I could imagine myself in a meat processing plant (done that) or a butcher shop (grew up in one). As such I could only see myself using something soft and forgiving and something I could use a steel on. :oops:

However, doing high volume prep for family/friends events that borders on catering, I could see myself with a Kohetsu Hap40 for sure.
alanhuth

Post by alanhuth »

If you want to see something amazing, Ryky Tran just got 10 KS's for free from an admirer in Japan. You can go to his channel on YT and watch him unbox, not knowing what was inside.
alanhuth

Post by alanhuth »

He seems to share the belief that the KS is truly special. I’ve never tried one but I suspect that maybe true. It was certainly true in the case of the Kono HD2. It took me a long time to find one of those, and when I finally got lucky, I was amazed how much better I liked it than supposedly similar or comparable knives.
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

Very curious about the Matsubara clone. I picked one up solely on the fact I didn't have any knives like it. Now I gotta save some cash to get a handle on it.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

raleighcook15 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:34 pm Very curious about the Matsubara clone. I picked one up solely on the fact I didn't have any knives like it. Now I gotta save some cash to get a handle on it.
That is the one that has piqued my interest.