What are your best woods?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
GreenbergWoods

What are your best woods?

Post by GreenbergWoods »

Hey guys, I had to buy a bunch of textbooks for the new semester, and so I put some woods from my personal stash up on my website. I wanted to Know what woods is in your stash! What are you keeping as your BEST stuff?

Ben Greenberg

Instagram: greenberg_woods
Have questions? Need advice on wood? Trying to ID a species?
Email me at www.bengreenberg415@gmail.com
Kalaeb

Re: What are your best woods?

Post by Kalaeb »

I have a few more pieces in my stash from days gone by. Will have to wait for some sun tomorrow to see if I can get some good pics.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

I have this spalted ivory turning square I'm waiting to find the right project for.

GreenbergWoods

Post by GreenbergWoods »

Robstreperous wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:35 am I have this spalted ivory turning square I'm waiting to find the right project for.

That is not spalted ivory or spaltes wood of any kind. It is a type of ebony called pale moon ebony.
Ben Greenberg

Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Good to know. I just knew I liked it. Waiting to find the right application for it. The figuring on hthe side with the elipse is really intense. Wish I was better at taking pictures.
GreenbergWoods

Post by GreenbergWoods »

Robstreperous wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:44 pm Good to know. I just knew I liked it. Waiting to find the right application for it. The figuring on hthe side with the elipse is really intense. Wish I was better at taking pictures.
Its not an easy thing to get good photos of wood. Send me an email or message on the contact forum. I will give you some tips.
Ben Greenberg

Carter

Post by Carter »

That is a nice piece of wood Rob, I use it frequently; it is black & white ebony. It works well, takes a good polish and finish, and is quite stable.

GreenbergWoods

Post by GreenbergWoods »

Carter wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:35 pm That is a nice piece of wood Rob, I use it frequently; it is black & white ebony. It works well, takes a good polish and finish, and is quite stable.
Hey Carter, What have you got stashed away?
Ben Greenberg

Carter

Post by Carter »

First off, here is a brand new shipment from Ben Greenberg...many thanks Ben!

Here are some pieces that I purchased for my own knives as well as some pieces that I will be using on upcoming knives that I am making to sell. The desert ironwood burl, 2nd from top on left, was purchased 2 years ago for my 240 Kato...the piece above that is teak burl, I have 2 blocks, also purchased about 2yrs ago for my 2 TF's. The blue block, 2nd from top in middle, was purchased a few yrs ago for my Anryu 270 KU Damascus suji....the waves in the wood match the Damascus patterning well. I am really excited about the snakewood saya pieces, I have never seen a snakewood saya...those will be used for a spec knife that I am going to build for sale...it will probably have to be a 210 gyuto, the wood is not long enough for a 240. Maybe one day I will get time to make handles for my own knifes......

Many of these are also available for custom handles....if you see a piece you like, let me know.
GreenbergWoods

Post by GreenbergWoods »

Carter wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:23 pm First off, here is a brand new shipment from Ben Greenberg...many thanks Ben!

Here are some pieces that I purchased for my own knives as well as some pieces that I will be using on upcoming knives that I am making to sell. The desert ironwood burl, 2nd from top on left, was purchased 2 years ago for my 240 Kato...the piece above that is teak burl, I have 2 blocks, also purchased about 2yrs ago for my 2 TF's. The blue block, 2nd from top in middle, was purchased a few yrs ago for my Anryu 270 KU Damascus suji....the waves in the wood match the Damascus patterning well. I am really excited about the snakewood saya pieces, I have never seen a snakewood saya...those will be used for a spec knife that I am going to build for sale...it will probably have to be a 210 gyuto, the wood is not long enough for a 240. Maybe one day I will get time to make handles for my own knifes......

Many of these are also available for custom handles....if you see a piece you like, let me know.
Let me know how you like the bulletwood and cumaru. Those are woods never really seen in the U.S
Ben Greenberg

Carter

Post by Carter »

The are both really cool....they are stabilized? I think the cumaru may make it on to one of my knives.
GreenbergWoods

Post by GreenbergWoods »

Carter wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:39 pm The are both really cool....they are stabilized? I think the cumaru may make it on to one of my knives.
They are natural. I can get you some info on both of them if you like. They are both burls that occur rarely on trees normally used for decking and other high durability tasks

Cumaru is a really cool one. In the Amazon Basin region it is used for railroad ties. It also smells like vanilla!
Ben Greenberg

milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

That cumaru burl is really cool. I keep looking at the ones on Ben's website and glad people keep buying them because I'm broke, LOL.

Carter, that afzelia xylay block is really nice.
Carter

Post by Carter »

GreenbergWoods wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:47 pm
Carter wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:39 pm The are both really cool....they are stabilized? I think the cumaru may make it on to one of my knives.
They are natural. I can get you some info on both of them if you like. They are both burls that occur rarely on trees normally used for decking and other high durability tasks

Cumaru is a really cool one. In the Amazon Basin region it is used for railroad ties. It also smells like vanilla!
I thought they seemed natural...that is no issue for me....look forward to the vanilla, beats the smell of many of the woods I work with.

milkbaby wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:32 pm That cumaru burl is really cool. I keep looking at the ones on Ben's website and glad people keep buying them because I'm broke, LOL.

Carter, that afzelia xylay block is really nice.
Hi MB....yes, it is really cool. I was able to get 2 blocks and I made a knife out of one of them, a Sukenari 210 gyuto...it is a great piece of wood....hard to part with.

GreenbergWoods

Post by GreenbergWoods »

Carter wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:53 pm
GreenbergWoods wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:47 pm
Hi MB....yes, it is really cool. I was able to get 2 blocks and I made a knife out of one of them, a Sukenari 210 gyuto...it is a great piece of wood....hard to part with.

I got some nice Aflezia lying around if you are interested
Ben Greenberg

Carter

Post by Carter »

GreenbergWoods wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:17 pm
Yes, send me a pic.
GreenbergWoods

Post by GreenbergWoods »

Carter wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:33 pm
GreenbergWoods wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:17 pm
Yes, send me a pic.
Ill try to get you those photos today.

Ive been working on a few of my more funky woods, this is some tigerwood burl "Very hard to find"

Some of my famous Ipe burl

some spalted Jatoba

And What i think has potential to be the replacement for Ambonya burl, Bloodwood Burl

Ill be getting these on my site soon, and if Mark is interested Might send some to him.
Ben Greenberg

jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

No pictures but - I have a lot of very old growth Brazilian Rosewood some of it with very nice figured grain!
Carter

Post by Carter »

Nice pieces Ben!
Naples09

Post by Naples09 »

Wow...some of those are great looking. How many handles do you get out of one piece?