How would you take your knives to and from a picnic?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
beanbag

How would you take your knives to and from a picnic?

Post by beanbag »

This question exposes my inexperience with life.

How would u take a few of your nice-but-not-too-nice knives to a picnic or outdoor event where you don't have a chance to wash them well? Like maybe wrap the dirty blade with a cloth and then chuck them in your duffel/shopping bag filled with your other grilling tools and random crap?
dv/dt

Re: How would you take your knives to and from a picnic?

Post by dv/dt »

I wouldn't take a decent knife if there was no way I could wash it after use. That could be as simple as a wet towel in a ziplock bag and a dry towel, but it would not be left dirty. I wouldn't take one without putting it in a saya, the original box, or some other way to keep it (and more importantly me) safe. And it would get its own bag or transport, not just chucked in the bottom of a bag to get beat up with other stuff. For what you're describing, a cheap Kuhn Rikon knife with a plastic sheath sounds ideal.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

I would only bring my SS knives due to a lack of cleaning options.

What will you need to cut?
ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

I would think a Victorinox Fibrox would be what you're looking at. It is all stainless steel. Also it needs to have a sheath or cover cause if the knife is sharp it will cut through a bag. Also as said before just a wet paper towel to wipe down is all that is needed.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Dude, take wet wipes and a dry cloth. I would still take stainless blades and probably nothing nicer than a Fujiwara FKM or Tojiro DP etc. Knife bags and rolls is what I would use. You can get them as low as like $15. Blade guards are only a few $$ as well.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Wet wipes (baby wipes work as well too) are a great idea. We keep a pack around in the car.

You can also make a "disposable saya" by simply taping two piecens of cardboard together. Works great. Tape the choil end too if you're in the mood afer insertion. Been doing this for years.
old onion

Post by old onion »

I wouldn't even take my Wusthof on a pic-a-nic. That calls for my Green River skinnin knife. Assuming you will have a few coolers,put some wet rags in them to use as wipes. Although,from a whole lot of experience with camping and pic-et-ing,a lot more can happen to a knife then just rust.Trust me.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I use these in different sizes when my knives travel.

As far as cleaning, a bottle of water and a rag is all you need.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

I am in charge of an outdoor event where we have a few knives to cut bagels and citrus. I just carry them in a big plastic container with the cutting boards. They just get wiped down with a towel (sometimes) until I have a chance to wash them afterwards. These are typical cheap NSF certified stainless like found at restaurant supply store. For nicer knives, a saya or blade guard for transport, then wet wipes or towel and water seems the way to go.