Expanding Makoto White #2 Stainless Clad Line

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Kit Craft

Re: Expanding Makoto White #2 Stainless Clad Line

Post by Kit Craft »

Chefspence wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:05 pm I'd go kohetsu profile too. Mainly because if I'm going to get a 165 tall petty that's pretty much like a santoku, then I'd just get a santoku. Jmo
If I am going to use a 165mm petty I am just going to pick up my 180mm gyuto... :lol: I like the shape of the Kohetsu regardless.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

salemj wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:03 pm
Lepus wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:06 pm Again, almost like a thin double beveled, low tip funayuki. As long as you call it a petty people,will be interested.
Yes. Sorry. Both you and Jeff are giving excellent points. I think I've started confusing things at this point. 38-9mm is pretty tall, especially with a Wa handle. And everyone knows I love the funayuki shape...but I think at the petty size another reference may be better (especially if uniqueness is the goal), which I think is what I was trying to get at.

All in all, I like how these ideas are coming together. My biggest sticking point - and where I think Makoto could excel - is getting the spine taper right so that the tip is more isosceles than merely "pointed." My Kono funayuki-gyutos are more like this, as are "real" KS gyutos, and I think that is a pattern that we could see more of not only in a shorter gyuto-petty, but also in Makotos larger lines as a potential variation.
Absolutely no reason to apologise and every opinion is welcome and helps shape the ideas and conversation! Your ideas are every bit as important as anyones Joe!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Kit Craft wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:30 pm
Chefspence wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:05 pm I'd go kohetsu profile too. Mainly because if I'm going to get a 165 tall petty that's pretty much like a santoku, then I'd just get a santoku. Jmo
If I am going to use a 165mm petty I am just going to pick up my 180mm gyuto... :lol: I like the shape of the Kohetsu regardless.
I have found with experience that there is a lot of room/need for both 165mm and 180mm knives when it comes to bridging gaps between the popular 150mm petties and 210mm knives of preference. I have petties of 150-165-180 and 210mm and use them all.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

This small funayuki has a shape that I think might be acceptable for most of you guys. Take a look.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yabl2fu16.html
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:18 am
Kit Craft wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:30 pm
I have found with experience that there is a lot of room/need for both 165mm and 180mm knives when it comes to bridging gaps between the popular 150mm petties and 210mm knives of preference. I have petties of 150-165-180 and 210mm and use them all.
I have had 2 165's and half a dozen 150s and I never use them. I always reach for a 120 or 180. Guess it just depends on the person.
salemj

Post by salemj »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:26 am This small funayuki has a shape that I think might be acceptable for most of you guys. Take a look.

Mark, I think that looks great, but a tad short in length. If the blade was exactly the same height with exactly the same tip end, but had an extra 1.5cm or so in length, I think that would be a very, very special blade coming from Makoto's hands.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I like that profile. I like Joe's thought's or would keep it that length but bring the heel down about 5mm. Could go either way to me, it's a matter of if your after a 165 or 180mm petty.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I had that knife because I wanted to fill the niche we're discussing. The profile has a lot of belly. I would not want a mirror of it, nor do I think it would match what people are after with that sort of request. It packs a lot of utility into one package, but it is not a good supplement for people who already have gyutos.

I can possibly lay hands on it, the Gihei, and a mirror of the Kohetsu in short order. I will try to get some side by side pictures. Of them all the Gihei is my easy favorite and definitely has my preferred profile.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

salemj wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:41 am
ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:26 am This small funayuki has a shape that I think might be acceptable for most of you guys. Take a look.

Mark, I think that looks great, but a tad short in length. If the blade was exactly the same height with exactly the same tip end, but had an extra 1.5cm or so in length, I think that would be a very, very special blade coming from Makoto's hands.
I have thought about buying the exact knife in the link more than once. If Mark were to get some similar to this from Makoto, I would buy one. I do not own a Funayuki. I agree in making it a wee bit longer. 180-190mm.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Lepus wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:01 am...It packs a lot of utility into one package, but it is not a good supplement for people who already have gyutos...
I tend to disagree. I think a tall petty, 38+mm, in a 165-180mm length, with a low and pointed tip is a great complement to a Gyuto.
I think we are starting to get to much into individual personal preferences and not thinking about what will have mass appeal without duplicating what is already out there.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Yes, a tall petty with a low tip is great for supplementing a gyuto. The Yasunori is not a good example of that style. It has a high tip. Having used all three the Gihei is better because it has the lowest tip of them, but would be better yet with a tiny bit more height.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

The Funyaki looks good but
I've got
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yobl2sa16.html
At home and it's a stunning little dinner prep knife
My wife is picking it up more and more over her Vic.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

That's the Tadafusa, Gihei, and Yasunori profiles sketched on top of each other. The Gihei has as you can see the lowest tip despite being tied for the shortest at the heel. The Tadafusa profile is, again, close, but it has a little belly that the Gihei does not. The Yasunori as you can see has the tallest tip of the three.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Lepus wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:32 pm That's the Tadafusa, Gihei, and Yasunori profiles sketched on top of each other. The Gihei has as you can see the lowest tip despite being tied for the shortest at the heel. The Tadafusa profile is, again, close, but it has a little belly that the Gihei does not. The Yasunori as you can see has the tallest tip of the three.
---
So what are you saying?...
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I have nothing to add beyond what I said above. The Gihei has an edge profile that I like, the Tadafusa has an upward cant that I like. I think combining the Gihei profile with the Tadafusa's angle would make a nice knife and that it would be in keeping with what Joe was talking about. The Yasunori has a taller tip that I did not find helpful when it can be supplimented by a gyuto.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

I still like the Tadafusa profile overall and particularly the tip. That sketch just solidifies that in my mind.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I read this whole thread last night. Such a ... petty debate!

Sorry. couldn't resist. (-: The passion of the people on this forum is truly impressive to behold.

I don't use a medium-sized petty a lot. Got a 150 Kono Swedish. Quite nice but only use several times a week.

What I'd like to see is a 180 nakiri abou6 65 mm tall and weighing less than 7.5 ounces. Preferably lighter. After handling almoat two dozen nakiris, that is the size that I think would be ideal.

Makoto's brother does a 180 AS nakiri, btw. Just not for CKTG. I would think Makoto has worked on that as well as many other of Kuro's blades.
Jeffry B
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Ok, I asked Makoto Kurosaki and he's going to make 12 of the tall nakiris for us. I'll let you know when they arrive.

I'll ask him about the petty knives when I see him in May. I don't want to overload him until after he is officially on his own which happens in a couple months.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:44 am Ok, I asked Makoto Kurosaki and he's going to make 12 of the tall nakiris for us. I'll let you know when they arrive.

I'll ask him about the petty knives when I see him in May. I don't want to overload him until after he is officially on his own which happens in a couple months.
Cool. Sounds like something a lot of people will want.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:44 am Ok, I asked Makoto Kurosaki and he's going to make 12 of the tall nakiris for us. I'll let you know when they arrive.

Any chance those who participated in this thread will get first crack?