Masakage Kumo santoku issues

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ksonn120

Masakage Kumo santoku issues

Post by ksonn120 »

I just got this knife today It is the masakage Kumo santoku.... beautiful... very. it came very sharp and it cuts through things like cucumbers quite well. though where I had MAJOR issues is when I went to dice an onion. Working in a professional environment there is no way I can deal with this downside of this knife. it sticks so hard when I try to do the horizontal cuts in the onion I really have to force it through which makes me feel like I am not in control of this blade. I have had a hiroshi kato VG 10 Damascus santoku that worked extremely well never had those issues with it. though i found the handle on that knife was really deteriorating (black micarta) so I brought the issue to my local knife shop and they found it odd as well and offered to exchange it for me so i got the Kumo..... I have called them and made them aware of the issue.... something tells me I will be exchanging this knife... but is this an issue that anyone else has faced before? the knife does have a matte finish to the Damascus pattern could this be the reason it is sticking so terribly? any help is super appreciated.