Issues with my brand new masakage Kumo santoku

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ksonn120

Issues with my brand new masakage Kumo santoku

Post by ksonn120 »

I got a masakage kumo santoku and long story short this thing is really nice looking and cuts some things nice but the main thing I work with all the time being onions this knife sticks to like CRAZY. does anyone else have this issue? I think I am going to try to return it to the store I got it from because when I turn the knife sideways and try to do the horizontal cuts through the onion it sticks in there so badly that I really have to push it through unlike any other high end knife I have owned. they all slid through with ease and this thing gets held up... and yes it is super sharp... I have no clue why it could be doing this.... perhaps the matte damascus finish?
Cutuu

Re: Issues with my brand new masakage Kumo santoku

Post by Cutuu »

It's wedging badly the in onions? Do you have a choil and a tip shot of the knive?
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Santoku aren't known for Laser thin tips and may drag through onions
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

I've tried several frosty or matte style Damascus finishes and they tend to be sticky.
Eversor13

Post by Eversor13 »

I've found that for all knives, but especially for the thicker knives, doing horizontal cuts through the knife becomes much easier if you angle the blade so the knife can accomplish a slicing motion while going through the onion. Specifically, if you are facing the halved onion face down on the board with the root farthest away from you, doing a horizontal cut from right to left, the heel of the blade should be much farther to the left than the tip when you are starting the horizontal cut. This modification helps a lot with Takedas and would help similarly with other thick blades. Also, as others have said, some damascus finishes do cause some drag through product if that damascus finish feels rough. A kikuichi, for instance, has a pretty polished finish so it doesn't produce much drag. The new Yoshimi Kato SG2 lasers have quite a bit of drag due to the rough damascus finish.