Konosuke Comments

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
PaulME

Konosuke Comments

Post by PaulME »

So figure the question/comment is appropriate here.
Is the HD laser market somewhat full at this point? Seems these would go in minutes of showing up previously. I bought a GS rather than wait around. Now there are several and they have been there for at least a full day.

I have to say the GS is nice but was not a revaluation, life changing experience, not planning on switching to a HD.

If this should be its own thread feel free to delete or move.
Just curious what others think.
Paul
Jeff B

Re: Konosuke Updates

Post by Jeff B »

PaulME wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:42 pm So figure the question/comment is appropriate here.
Is the HD laser market somewhat full at this point? Seems these would go in minutes of showing up previously. I bought a GS rather than wait around. Now there are several and they have been there for at least a full day....
I think the $51 price hike over the last year, though doesn't sound like much, is partly the cause for the slow down too. You'd be surprised how much easier it is for some to shell out $268 over $319. Some approach that $300 mark and start to back away.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

ChipB wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:04 am
Naples09 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:37 am Would love to see someone do a side by side review of the MM and HD2. Anyone have both?
I have an HD2 K-Tip. I'll post a comparison when I get to the review. The MM is definitely fairly thin though the grind is different than the HD2, not to mention the MM is clad B2 and the HD2 is mono-steel.
Looking forward to hearing that too.
I bought my HD K-tip after trying yours on a pass around.
I so like that knife...but funnily enough sold my standard HD gyuto.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:11 pm
PaulME wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:42 pm So figure the question/comment is appropriate here.
Is the HD laser market somewhat full at this point? Seems these would go in minutes of showing up previously. I bought a GS rather than wait around. Now there are several and they have been there for at least a full day....
I think the $51 price hike over the last year, though doesn't sound like much, is partly the cause for the slow down too. You'd be surprised how much easier it is for some to shell out $268 over $319. Some approach that $300 mark and start to back away.
I think these are both very good points. I also think there may be another factor: more and more of these have non-wood handles, and therefore show up under different pages. My guess is that each of these pages is linked to a different alert, and that some people on the long list for (ho handle) HDs are not receiving notifications for the newer versions or different handles. That could account for a lot. I think the same is true for the MM line: people are signed up for B2 Fujiyamas, and they don't even realize these things are coming back in stock as "new" MM versions.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

salemj wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:48 pm I think the same is true for the MM line: people are signed up for B2 Fujiyamas, and they don't even realize these things are coming back in stock as "new" MM versions.
Let’s be clear that the MMs are definitely not Fujiyamas going by a different name. Whether or not there is some overlap b/w smith’s or sharpeners etc., they are very different knives. F&F/execution is at same level (if not superior on the MM vs later iterations of Fujiyamas), but that is where the similarities end. Performance is top notch on both lines but for different reasons and with different attributes
salemj

Post by salemj »

^^^Good point. I guess I didn't mean to confuse the two so much as to suggest that it seems like the MM remains a very refined "budget" option for Konosuke-branded Sakai steel, much like the Fujiyamas. As I've already posted a few places, they do look like very different knives to me (I haven't used an MM) and I wouldn't expect them to resonate similarly with all people.

But boy, Chip, you really got me on the edge of my seat! Haha. Can't wait to read some thoughts.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Me too!
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

salemj wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:05 am ^^^Good point. I guess I didn't mean to confuse the two so much as to suggest that it seems like the MM remains a very refined "budget" option for Konosuke-branded Sakai steel, much like the Fujiyamas. As I've already posted a few places, they do look like very different knives to me (I haven't used an MM) and I wouldn't expect them to resonate similarly with all people.

But boy, Chip, you really got me on the edge of my seat! Haha. Can't wait to read some thoughts.
:) sorry, I get little persnickety when it comes to Fujiyama comparisons as so many want a readily available proxy and they just don’t exist beyond custom orders(except for one picture/post I saw on "show your new knife" thread).

Not posting at least an initial impression of the MM has been tough as I’m really, really impressed with the 210. Figured I’d hold off until I get the 240 though as I have a much broader, and more relevant frame of reference to compare it to in that size.

That said Joe, I think your concerns over height on this line might be unfounded. I haven’t measured edge-to-spine at heel, but it is the same height as my Kato 210. For reference, my 240 Kato is probably the shortest/least tall gyutos I own in a collection of short gyutos (new doi might be a bit shorter at heel). Think you might really dig MM
4k-nives

Post by 4k-nives »

The MM's are superb in fit and finish. Although the handles are not to my liking(obviously..haha), they are too narrow. Super smooth flat grind(Fujiyamas are not). I'd dare say might be nicer than Fujiyamas imho.
matt
ashy2classy

Post by ashy2classy »

4k-nives wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:14 pm The MM's are superb in fit and finish. Although the handles are not to my liking(obviously..haha), they are too narrow. Super smooth flat grind(Fujiyamas are not). I'd dare say might be nicer than Fujiyamas imho.
It's great to see so many commenting on the superb F&F of the MM series. My 210 was delivered today. Can't wait to check it out!
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

4k-nives wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:14 pm The MM's are superb in fit and finish. Although the handles are not to my liking(obviously..haha), they are too narrow. Super smooth flat grind(Fujiyamas are not). I'd dare say might be nicer than Fujiyamas imho.
I agree that there's certainly a case to be made for the MM over the Fujiyama. If you prefer a very flat profile and a thinner overall geometry (still think the Fuji B2 might get slightly thinner behind the edge, but it's really really close) the MM is the way to go.

Either way, the MM is undeniably a fantastically well executed, very high performing blade. These will be flying off the shelf once ownership broadens a bit and the word gets out.
ashy2classy

Post by ashy2classy »

ChipB wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:47 am For those considering the MM, I’ve been so impressed with the 210 I bought a couple weeks ago that I decided to order a 240 from the most recent batch as well.

While I’m holding off a bit on posting a full review, it’s worth noting that this is the first time I’ve ever made a follow-on purchase from the same knife line by any maker without at least a few months of use and a 2nd impression on the stones. Without getting ahead of myself, I’d say any fans of Konosuke and curated Sakai knives might want to check this line out.
I own many knives from the notable smiths/sharperners in Sakai in various flavors, but Konosuke MM I’d something slightly diffetent than what one might expect. In a good, you should buy know before they are on backorder, kind of way
Sorry for the lack of impression details, but those will be coming shortly
Ugh, I was considering a 240 as well but just noticed they're out of stock. If had read this post I woulda jumped on it sooner. :D
4k-nives

Post by 4k-nives »

ChipB wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:41 pm
I agree that there's certainly a case to be made for the MM over the Fujiyama. If you prefer a very flat profile and a thinner overall geometry (still think the Fuji B2 might get slightly thinner behind the edge, but it's really really close) the MM is the way to go.

Either way, the MM is undeniably a fantastically well executed, very high performing blade. These will be flying off the shelf once ownership broadens a bit and the word gets out.
Agreed...
matt
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

@ashy, I wouldn't be upset as I think 210 is a great length for this knife. 240 arrived today and I'm honestly not sure which size I would choose if forced to pick. Can't go wrong either way :)
ashy2classy

Post by ashy2classy »

ChipB wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:59 pm @ashy, I wouldn't be upset as I think 210 is a great length for this knife. 240 arrived today and I'm honestly not sure which size I would choose if forced to pick. Can't go wrong either way :)
If you want to sell the 240 I'm your man...something just doesn't feel right to me with the 210. I think it's the handle/blade combo. The handle needs to be shorter in height given it's thinner width, IMO.
gladius

Post by gladius »

ashy2classy wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:45 pm ...something just doesn't feel right to me with the 210. I think it's the handle/blade combo. The handle needs to be shorter in height given it's thinner width, IMO.
—-
I find the same thing about the 240 MM, it doesn’t feel right, not balanced and thought right away it was the handle.
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

As they say, never judge a knife by it's handle :) and certainly don't buy a knife for the handle. A well done grip that suits one's style is a bonus. I happen to dig the handle combination here, but this aspect of a knife is perhaps as subjective as it gets.

The ebony used by a lot Sakai brands is really dense and weighty and certainly pulls the balancepoint of the knife back. The weighting and balance of the 210 MM actually reminds me a lot of my old kikuichi TKC. Right at the heel, and ultra nimble. If you are used to blade heavy 240s, this going to feel a little insubstantial. I actually enjoy the combo on this 210 as the knife just flies.

For comparison, my 270 Mizuno Hontanran (which I suspect shares similar DNA with MM) has a Ho grip (significantly lighter than ebony alt.)and the balance point is over an inch in front of a pinch. This makes the knife feel like a beast despite the fact it is not all that thick at the spine, the geometry isn't beefy for the size and the height isn't carried down the length.

Point being, yes a grip absolutely impacts how you interact with a knife, and no one grip for any knife when pre-installed is going to appeal to even 50% of prospective users. The good news with the MM handle is that it is superbly executed with very high quality wood. So if it isn't suiting your proclivities, you can install a cheap ho grip and save the khii for a knife that you think it pairs better with.
gladius

Post by gladius »

True, it is subjective but my observation of the knife is similar to ashy2classy’s - the height/width ratio of the handle makes it feel weird in hand, that is my point. Most every Konosuke (about 15) I’ve acquired have handles that “matchup” well and felt good except a Keiai T1 I once owned and this MM. It is a super knife and great performer no doubt but feels odd in my hand.
Naples09

Post by Naples09 »

I agree with Chp about the 210 - the knife feels great in the hand and the knife flies!

Seems like his comments have pushed people to buy the MM - the 240 is out of stock and the 210 only has 1 left. Will be interesting to hear more comments from the more experienced members in the future.
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

gladius wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:09 am True, it is subjective but my observation of the knife is similar to ashy2classy’s - the height/width ratio of the handle makes it feel weird in hand, that is my point. Most every Konosuke (about 15) I’ve acquired have handles that “matchup” well and felt good except a Keiai T1 I once owned and this MM. It is a super knife and great performer no doubt but feels odd in my hand.
Fair point. Now that you mention it, i'd probably prefer a thicker octo rendition, bit doesn't really bother me