Round handles?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Bensbites

Round handles?

Post by Bensbites »

I am looking and I never see round wa handles. I am contemplating adding a small lathe to the shop; I have always been curious about turning. It becomes an easy choice if the lathe can pay for itself. The pen space appears to be saturated, would anyone like a matching pen/knife handle?
Kit Craft

Re: Round handles?

Post by Kit Craft »

I have always wondered about round handles too. Never heard anything about them.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Kit Craft wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:40 pm I have always wondered about round handles too. Never heard anything about them.
That is the type of response that makes me want to try. It will be a few months and several handle sales before I can even think about this type of R&D.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

I love round / oval handles
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Nmiller21k wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:10 pm I love round / oval handles
I know how I would do tapered ovalish or at least round over some of my edges, they would be a slight modification on my current method.

Tapered rounds. Have you seen them?
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

No but the Anryu is perhaps my favorite handle
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Tapered rounds like a cck?

I have an oval handle too, not sure how that would be accomplished on a lathe. Personally I like the taller than wider...I am curious to see how you go about making some if it happens.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

That is a good point. I too like taller over wider.
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

Love me some beefy, well tapered D grips. Give me those any day of the week. Harder to execute with exotic handle materials and spacers/end caps though which might be a contributing factor as to why we tend to see less of Ds/ovals vs. Octo
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I'm definitely a fan of oval and D handles. Agree with the "taller than wider", just feels most natural in a grip. A hammer for i.e., as with most hand tools, have an oval shaped handle.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Damn, you mean I am not the only one who likes D handles...I thought I was just a weirdo.
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

Kit Craft wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:56 pm Damn, you mean I am not the only one who likes D handles...I thought I was just a weirdo.
They are by far my favorite handle style. While I sold my Shig kasumi 240, I love the D grip that came with the knife so much I had Tim Johnson replicate the shape on my current Kato 240 which went out for a pass-around a few years ago. Still my favorite handle.
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

^^^ Comfort of an oval with some added angle/grip. Just awesome.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

ChipB wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:59 pm
Kit Craft wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:56 pm Damn, you mean I am not the only one who likes D handles...I thought I was just a weirdo.
They are by far my favorite handle style. While I sold my Shig kasumi 240, I love the D grip that came with the knife so much I had Tim Johnson replicate the shape on my current Kato 240 which went out for a pass-around a few years ago. Still my favorite handle.
Honestly my favorite is a Watanabe D burnt chestnut and horn. :) Comfy, gripy and almost warm and inviting. I like simple ho wood fine too..lol. I wish we could see more of the custom makers doing the D shape. As I said in another thread recently, I had asked a few makers in the past and they were not looking to make them at the time.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

You are a weirdo but that's beside the point.... :P

Though I keep the overall shape, I always relieve the edges of all octagonal handles that come on knives I buy to make them more comfortable. Can't stand an octagonal with sharp edges.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

Kit Craft wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:02 pm
ChipB wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:59 pm
Honestly my favorite is a Watanabe D burnt chestnut and horn. :) Comfy, gripy and almost warm and inviting. I like simple ho wood fine too..lol. I wish we could see more of the custom makers doing the D shape. As I said in another thread recently, I had asked a few makers in the past and they were not looking to make them at the time.
Yeah, it limits what they can do with the ferrule and spacer. Taz did a great job on my Kono Ashi Honyaki and Kato 240, but the style precluded the use of a metal spacer given the belt work that was needed to keep the D consistent throughout. It's just a tougher geometry to get right. Also will depend on the dimensions of the wood blocks they have to work with as a good bit of wood has to be taken off from the block.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

ChipB wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:06 pm

Yeah, it limits what they can do with the ferrule and spacer. Taz did a great job on my Kono Ashi Honyaki and Kato 240, but the style precluded the use of a metal spacer given the belt work that was needed to keep the D consistent throughout. It's just a tougher geometry to get right. Also will depend on the dimensions of the wood blocks they have to work with as a good bit of wood has to be taken off from the block.
Yeah, I can see where that would be an issue. I am simple. I like wood/wood or wood/horn. :D
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

Kit Craft wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:11 pm
ChipB wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:06 pm

Yeah, I can see where that would be an issue. I am simple. I like wood/wood or wood/horn. :D
Started that way myself and, while I flirted with some bling handles in the past, prefer simple wood yet again. Even so, a lot of handle makers can only work within the dimensions of the blocks they have on hand especially if there is a specific preference for a specific tree/type of wood.
Not a fan of Ho handles at all though. Way too light for my balance sensibilities on 240s or knives that are blade-heavy. They get dirty and stinky as shit as well.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Jeff B wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:04 pm
You are a weirdo but that's beside the point.... :P

Though I keep the overall shape, I always relieve the edges of all octagonal handles that come on knives I buy to make them more comfortable. Can't stand an octagonal with sharp edges.
Interesting comment. Most people comment on how they like the crisp octagonals on my handles. Another useful gem to file away.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Relieve the edges on just one of the handles you make and see what you think. Doesn't have to be a lot. Makes a BIG difference to me.