I’ve been talking to this blacksmith...

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
drdmn

Re: I’ve been talking to this blacksmith...

Post by drdmn »

Newish to the forum. So how do I stay in the loop in case these opportunities come up again? Just keep checking this forum? Is there a way to get email updates? Sorry for the newbie questions....
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

drdmn wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:59 pm Newish to the forum. So how do I stay in the loop in case these opportunities come up again? Just keep checking this forum? Is there a way to get email updates? Sorry for the newbie questions....
These types of special opportunities come up for those following the forum. Once these products/deals are announced on the forum and Mark sets up a product page, you can then sign up for an email notification for when it becomes available. Mark is very good about providing details to keep you informed along the way too.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
drdmn

Post by drdmn »

Thanks Jeff!
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Got my Nakiri today and was impressed as to how lightweight it was. The out of the box edge was pretty sharp and the blade is super thin. I had it for all of 20 minutes and my neighbor wanted to buy it from me. Too bad for him as I did offer to buy him one when I sent my order in. I'm going to use this a while and see how the edge holds up and then sharpen it and give it to my youngest son after I let my neighbor's wife use it to see if she likes it as well as her Chinese clever (the only knife she uses).
OgerBash

Post by OgerBash »

I got my Nakiri and Santoku yesterday. I tried cutting some tomatoes and onions with both. I would rate the out of box sharpness as a really toothy 4/10. The both push/pull cut the tomatoes well. The both did a great job dicing the onions with a push/pull cut. They didn't do a well trying to chop the onions. I'm not sure if this was due to the amount of belly or the sharpness. I'll try some more chopping after sharpening them both tomorrow. The Santoku has a rounded tip and enough belly the I was able to rock some a lot higher than I was expecting. I was able to rock chop a medium onion. The Nakiri was also able to rock some garlic and herbs. I'm comparing the Nakiri against my CCK cleavers and the Nakiri seems to have a lot more belly.

I like how the handle is completely sealed. It appears to be completely coated in a thick varnish or epoxy. Before I sharpen them tomorrow I'll probably take some sand paper to the handles to smooth them out. I liked how thin both knives were. The ruff finished and grind seems to do a good job of providing great food release. I was able to knock anything stuck to the blades with a flick of the wrist. I will need to make some potatoes tomorrow to test the food release some more.

Overall, my initial impressions are both knives are worth the money I spent. They were meant as gifts for friends after I finished testing them. Know I think I might have to keep them. Even though, I prefer 240 Gyutos or Chinese cleavers.
Jason H

Post by Jason H »

I got mine today and it nicer than I expected. While the fit and finish is rustic I am really impressed with how thin and straight the blade is. I’m looking forward to sharpening it and using it. I also like the idea of supporting a maker working out of a shop like he does.
Uberam3rica

Post by Uberam3rica »

My knives arrived today. The fit and finish is rustic, as expected, and they were sharper then I expected. I mainly used the santaku today. Easily sliced steaks and blew through veg. I actually cut much faster then normal, as its quite light. It doesn't seem reactive, but I didn't cut much acidic product. I noticed some small nicks in the edge at the end of the day. Other then some honing with a ceramic rod, I didn't do anything to the edge, as I wanted o really test it out. I'll test out the nakiri tomorrow. All in all I'm happy with my purchase so far. Definitely worth what I paid.
wphill

Post by wphill »

Impressed how many mention thinness of the blade. Given what appears to be a limited work environment I wonder if this smith, one day, could be producing rustic at the level of Takeda. When there’s a finished blade with more hands on workmanship than other comparable blades and performs at a high level, I then feel the desire to own and usse. Of course there’s a lot more to good bones other than thinness. Just wondering if this is a smith with desire and means to leverage his skills for the customer base, here. In his village, likely all is more than good, as is. Just wondering.
Uberam3rica

Post by Uberam3rica »

Uberam3rica wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:58 am My knives arrived today. The fit and finish is rustic, as expected, and they were sharper then I expected. I mainly used the santaku today. Easily sliced steaks and blew through veg. I actually cut much faster then normal, as its quite light. It doesn't seem reactive, but I didn't cut much acidic product. I noticed some small nicks in the edge at the end of the day. Other then some honing with a ceramic rod, I didn't do anything to the edge, as I wanted o really test it out. I'll test out the nakiri tomorrow. All in all I'm happy with my purchase so far. Definitely worth what I paid.
I used the nakiri today and it performed about the same. Blew through veg, and sliced meat with ease. The handle on my nakiri was a bit rougher then that of my santaku. Over all they're solid knives for the price, and I'd definitely buy more if they're around the same price point. I'd be really interested in traditional vietnamese knife types, assuming they're much different from Japanese
eagle1899

Post by eagle1899 »

New guy here!!! I had just received and started using my Kajiwara Nakiri when these became available. I was excited to order one for all the reasons everyone else was... something different, support the little guy, a blade I can learn with and not worry if I make mistakes ( sharpening, using, possibly reshaping and rehandling). I am traveling this week and won't see mine until Wednesday. So far from the reviews and first impressions.... I am more excited than before.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

I decided to put a new edge on my Nakiri so I took it up to the Shapton Glass 8K stone. I gave it to my neighbor Chinese lady to prepare dinner tonight and to get feedback from her since she always uses a Chinese Clever. I'm looking forward to how she thinks about it as compared to her $20 clever. I'll report back tomorrow when I get a report!
Uberam3rica

Post by Uberam3rica »

I Sharpened the santaku today, and it took a decent edge. I don't have an amazing stone set, just a three sided Norton, but it gets the job done.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

My neighbor just returned my Nakiri and they were extremely impressed with it. They prepared cole slaw and stir fry last night and told me that the knife fell through the cabbage and the steak they cut up for stir fry fell off the blade. They want to by it from me after I let a few others people try it out. The edge I put on it held up very well after their meal preparation. I'm remembering now why I liked that Shapton Glass 8K stone ;-) This is a great entry level knife that should sell well at the CKTG store. I'd rate it a 5***** product given the cost and utility.
slobound

Post by slobound »

Finally got to use the nakiri and pleasantly surprised. Took some cuts with the OOB edge and it was serviceable. Quickly took it to the stones (Chosera 1k, green brick, Rika 5k, Kitayama 8k) and it took a very nice edge. Not the greatest picture but took it before running out the door.

-- Garrick
Hammertime

Post by Hammertime »

Making progress on my project knife...

Re-profiled and re-handled. Sorry for the poor quality pictures.
Attachments
40769687645_cb8842c515_z.jpg
40769685465_c89ebe3226_z.jpg
40769688875_d5d6f41d46_z.jpg
40769688325_d41c690342_z.jpg
Hammertime

Post by Hammertime »

Few more pictures...
Attachments
40769691325_0b076731b6_z.jpg
40769691325_0b076731b6_z.jpg (37.33 KiB) Viewed 2692 times
40769690805_d92731018a_z.jpg
40769690805_d92731018a_z.jpg (42.35 KiB) Viewed 2692 times
40769686745_c3c8807139_z.jpg
40769686745_c3c8807139_z.jpg (42.31 KiB) Viewed 2692 times
40769690325_0305c69562_z.jpg
40769690325_0305c69562_z.jpg (33.01 KiB) Viewed 2692 times
eagle1899

Post by eagle1899 »

Just got home and immediately opened my knife. Its is rustic, thin, light and it actually feels pretty good. Handle is a bit fat for my taste, some rough edges... but for the price paid I'm happy. Give the cutting edge a feel... there was a burr at the heal of the blade about half inch long. A few passes on the strop and it was gone and ready for cutting. Having literally just walked through the door from vacation the only thing handy to cut up was a week old apple. Blade cuts just fine!!! It will be a fun addition to my new addiction of knives. My only regret is not having gotten a Nakiri as well.
shevitz

Post by shevitz »

OK. So this is a cheap knife. I got the santoku. The fit and finish are terrible. The blade is ragged looking as is the handle. The handle wasn't sanded smooth before finishing. The lacquer has fingerprints and rough patches. The blade feels like it started out as a nakiri sized rectangle. Then he finished one long edge so the blade road is straight from one short edge to another and the kurouchi is straight across. Then he curved the edge and put a micro bevel on. All of this is with low grit stones or wheels. I tried to take the deep scratches out of the finish starting with 80 grit sandpaper and moving up and gave up. I put some kind of polish on the blade road but it's nothing to be thrilled with. I tried putting some lipstick on the pig and basically gave up. So the aestetics and fit and finish will never be good.

Then I sharpened it. Nubatama 150 bamboo, Chosera 400, Chosera 1K, Nubatama 5K bamboo (pretty big jump, think Murray Carter, on that last one, but I was getting tired). I stropped on linen then horse shell after each grit to see where I was. This is the stupid sharpest knife I have ever had. It is an absolute laser. It has a very thin grind that I sharpened at a steep angle. It's my lightest knife by far. It is sharper than probably 99.99% of America has ever seen. It's doing 4" push cuts. If I were in a house in Viet Nam with some tree ring cutting board I would say I could do a better job than any non JKnife could possibly do.

I don't know what edge retention will be like since the grind is thin and my angle is on the steep side. The blade rings so there is some kind of hardness and heat treat to the knife.

So very mixed feelings. There is no pride of ownership but this is a damn sharp knife. No one ever expected much from this knife at this price point, but I would say to tell the smith to put an extra hour into the fit and finish on each knife, charge an extra $5 and for the love of god keep the deep scratches out of the blade road. Then he would really have something.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

You bought a $29 dollar knife from Vietnam Danny, not a Kato. I think you got your monies worth. :D
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
shevitz

Post by shevitz »

I would agree :). I just wish he put a little time into the F&F. Then it would be a steal even at a small upcharge.

I forgot the blade etching says Dao Vua since 1288! That would make them older than Moritaka!