New knives to add to my list?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Kit Craft

Re: New knives to add to my list?

Post by Kit Craft »

Jeff B wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:39 am Tanaka Sekiso Damascus Blue 2
Jeffery already talked me into one awhile back but thanks!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

slickmamba wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:37 am Which tanaka is this? More knives for me to try! haha
I was answering him.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

My bad, didn't see it. As you saw from my post last night I was a bit hungover this morning and quite slow. All better now though, lol.
limpet

Post by limpet »

enjay wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:07 pm
limpet wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:48 pm If you get the chance, pick up a Raquin. Rustic with great grinds. Well, I’ve only used the one I have, but I like it a lot. :)
One does not simply pick up a Raquin.

limpet - Did you get this directly from Bryan or thru a vendor?
Sorry for the late reply. I got lucky and got it from a vendor in Sweden.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I may be off topic in my suggestions but I like a western deba. Lets me cut through things that would cripple most lasers.

I do like Takedas and Moritakas. Ignore the chatter elsewhere. Worst case after thinning you have an excellent blade.

Nubatama knives - I love them. Ill leave it there. Both single and double bevel. Black steel white steel etc. Gyotos, sujihiki, mukimono, yanagi.

Also a cleaver fan. This has slready been covered a lot lately.

Edcs - Spyderco, lately Saks and even knives with Marlin spikes :)

---
Ken
old onion

Post by old onion »

Kit Craft wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:41 pm Yeah, I have and have had a few Sanjo knives and like them well enough. Hinoura is already on my list. Missed on one that I wanted awhile back. Kind of glad I did because I think I want a 210 or 240 and it was a 180. Heh, glad I waited in this case.
Hey Kit,I know where there is a Hinoura 180...lol :lol:
I couldn't resist after seeing this old post.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

old onion wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:40 am
Kit Craft wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:41 pm Yeah, I have and have had a few Sanjo knives and like them well enough. Hinoura is already on my list. Missed on one that I wanted awhile back. Kind of glad I did because I think I want a 210 or 240 and it was a 180. Heh, glad I waited in this case.
Funny beings I am the one who pointed you in that direction. :D Hope you got to make dinner with it. At 186x50 it sounds perfect to me.
old onion

Post by old onion »

Kit Craft wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:48 am
Funny beings I am the one who pointed you in that direction. :D Hope you got to make dinner with it. At 186x50 it sounds perfect to me.
I'm loving it too. I made dinner with it last night and breakfast with it this morning and I spied a cucumber about 8 inches long in my garden this morning that is going to meet it's demise from the Hin later today.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

old onion wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:27 am
Kit Craft wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:48 am

I'm loving it too. I made dinner with it last night and breakfast with it this morning and I spied a cucumber about 8 inches long in my garden this morning that is going to meet it's demise from the Hin later today.
>.< My small garden is just starting to show signs of life. I got it in a little late. And so much freaking rain. Starting the year before we decided to go with a small garden and only can what we can use over the winter so about 3x each plant type (at most). No room for 4 dozen cans of everything. I still have the Euro apartment mentality. :lol:

Carrots are my big tester because we eat loads of them. Carrots, potatoes, onions, leeks, celery, mushrooms and garlic are always around. :) Sounds like a good knife for that lineup too. I saw your pics in my email last night. :D

PS: Will be able to set plans to bring you some chickens, finally. Scrapped the old SUV and got a new one...
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Kit turned me on to the Tanaka Sekiso Damascus Blue 2. I owe him a big Thank you for that. I’m not a pro but I do use my knives quite a bit and have been trying quite a few over the last six months. One session with the Tanaka and it was plainly evident that it’s a whole lot of knife for 200 bucks. I see it staying with me for a long time.

I finally found a Masamoto 240KS last week, (thanks Ashy2classy) and I have my first Shibata on the way, a Battleship. Threads like this are really fun but I should stay off of them, they have a way of getting into your piggy bank.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
old onion

Post by old onion »

nakneker wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:43 am Kit turned me on to the Tanaka Sekiso Damascus Blue 2. I owe him a big Thank you for that. I’m not a pro but I do use my knives quite a bit and have been trying quite a few over the last six months. One session with the Tanaka and it was plainly evident that it’s a whole lot of knife for 200 bucks. I see it staying with me for a long time.

I finally found a Masamoto 240KS last week, (thanks Ashy2classy) and I have my first Shibata on the way, a Battleship. Threads like this are really fun but I should stay off of them, they have a way of getting into your piggy bank.
Oh how well I know. I have three Tanakas and I love those knives but I do not have the Sekiso Damasus but it has been one I considered in the past.I couldn't make up my mind between the 210 or the 240. I have the Gihei Blue#2 in 240 that doesn't get used so I don't need another 240 in that area.It is pushing 8 oz. so it's pushing pass my desire in the weight spectrum. I probably would just up and trade even for a Sekiso if the opportunity presented itself. As you can see by my purchase of a 180 Gyuto,I seem to be favoring shorter knives once again.I do have a couple 240's that I won't part with.
Congrads on your Masmoto KS. Kit hasn't tried to talk me into one of them yet. :lol:
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Hey now, I didn't talk you into anything. I suggested what I might buy. :P
old onion

Post by old onion »

Help,help,help...the rabbit hole is caving in...help,help!
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

limpet wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:48 pm If you get the chance, pick up a Raquin. Rustic with great grinds. Well, I’ve only used the one I have, but I like it a lot. :)

He used to be pretty active at kkfora and usually responds to my pms. You may be able to drop him a line there.
ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

So is it just me or is HAP40 an awesome steel? I love my Sukenari K tip
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Kalaeb wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:09 am

He used to be pretty active at kkfora and usually responds to my pms. You may be able to drop him a line there.
He did a pass around of one of his knives with the guys over there. That's when I had the opportunity to get to use one of his knives.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.