What is the most expensive dining out experience you have ever had?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ChipB

Re: What is the most expensive dining out experience you have ever had?

Post by ChipB »

Masa in NYC hands down. Even though it was 12 years ago, the ~$1.2K per head cost at the time remains the most expensive dining experience I've ever had. We did order sake outside of the pairing, so that didn't help, but from what I understand, it's a lot more expensive now.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

ChipB wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:15 pm Masa in NYC hands down. Even though it was 12 years ago, the ~$1.2K per head cost at the time remains the most expensive dining experience I've ever had. We did order sake outside of the pairing, so that didn't help, but from what I understand, it's a lot more expensive now.
Wow! 1.2k? Couldn't do it even if I hit the lotto for 1 billion tomorrow. :lol: Hope it was mind blowing!
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

Kit Craft wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:24 pm
ChipB wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:15 pm Masa in NYC hands down. Even though it was 12 years ago, the ~$1.2K per head cost at the time remains the most expensive dining experience I've ever had. We did order sake outside of the pairing, so that didn't help, but from what I understand, it's a lot more expensive now.
Wow! 1.2k? Couldn't do it even if I hit the lotto for 1 billion tomorrow. :lol: Hope it was mind blowing!
It was the most horrifying experience ever. Not because of the food or the sake, but we were celebrating my buddies 25th birthday and, while I appreciated that restaurant was supposed to be quite expensive, had no idea what I would be in for when the check came... I can't remember the exact dollar figure of the omakase menu at the time, though it was expensive. That said, it was ordering outside the menu where they killed us. Extra dishes, more sake etc. easily tripled the cost. I'd been married for less than a year and I swear my wife was closer to divorcing me after that dinner than any time since.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

ChipB wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:35 pm
It was the most horrifying experience ever. Not because of the food or the sake, but we were celebrating my buddies 25th birthday and, while I appreciated that restaurant was supposed to be quite expensive, had no idea what I would be in for when the check came... I can't remember the exact dollar figure of the omakase menu at the time, though it was expensive. That said, it was ordering outside the menu where they killed us. Extra dishes, more sake etc. easily tripled the cost. I'd been married for less than a year and I swear my wife was closer to divorcing me after that dinner than any time since.
My wife would have killed me not divorced me!
ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

The most my wife and I have spent was around 150. It was a once in a blue moon type thing. The problem is that I know I'm going to sound arrogant but I can cook better than most places. It makes me really sad when i go and i taste their food and it makes me go I can cook this alot better at home. I do love though to try different places and when we stumble onto a place that makes me go wow this is good I have to go home and make it. We were on a cruise for our honeymoon and ate at their Asian fusion grill. I had the Korean barbequed duck with kim chi and had a couple other courses. One was a trio of sorbets lemon green tea and wasabi mint sorbet. It was so good I had to come home and make it. That was $50 for the both of us. Also we came across this smokehouse in South Carolina. Best beef ribs ever. Had to come home and make those. Ruth Chris has helped me get my steaks down to a science and I have this cocoa smoked paprika and cayenne powder rub I put on them. Mmm! Then plenty of salt and pepper. Then I also love to do a bleu cheese compote butter on top and let it melt. Also made my own prime rib and beef Wellington for Christmas this year that was amazing. Haha Sorry I love to cook.
Gregory27

Post by Gregory27 »

ButlerHoosierChef wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:04 pm The most my wife and I have spent was around 150. It was a once in a blue moon type thing. The problem is that I know I'm going to sound arrogant but I can cook better than most places. It makes me really sad when i go and i taste their food and it makes me go I can cook this alot better at home. I do love though to try different places and when we stumble onto a place that makes me go wow this is good I have to go home and make it. We were on a cruise for our honeymoon and ate at their Asian fusion grill. I had the Korean barbequed duck with kim chi and had a couple other courses. One was a trio of sorbets lemon green tea and wasabi mint sorbet. It was so good I had to come home and make it. That was $50 for the both of us. Also we came across this smokehouse in South Carolina. Best beef ribs ever. Had to come home and make those. Ruth Chris has helped me get my steaks down to a science and I have this cocoa smoked paprika and cayenne powder rub I put on them. Mmm! Then plenty of salt and pepper. Then I also love to do a bleu cheese compote butter on top and let it melt. Also made my own prime rib and beef Wellington for Christmas this year that was amazing. Haha Sorry I love to cook.
I can, honestly, say that most of my most expensive dining experiences have been situations where I could not have done better. Le Bernardin... well, goes without saying. Babo, and this sounds ridiculous, I couldn't have done better paparadelle with chanterelles; I may have been off by a pound of butter. Sanford, in Milwaukee, used combinations that wouldn't have occurred to me, without a cookbook. And there's a few sushi restaurants on that list. I don't make sushi. Not in my skill set.

Also Legend Larry's. I cannot make chicken wings better than Legend Larry's.
Gregory27

Post by Gregory27 »

You'd be a really eccentric billionaire. "12 millionth of my wealth for a memorable meal? Forget it... but I see you have an interesting hardened lump of sediment there. May I offer you my first born? Perhaps my kidney?"
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Gregory27 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:35 pm
You'd be a really eccentric billionaire. "12 millionth of my wealth for a memorable meal? Forget it... but I see you have an interesting hardened lump of sediment there. May I offer you my first born? Perhaps my kidney?"
Can use that rock many, many times. The food passes through you. :lol:
Gregory27

Post by Gregory27 »

Kit Craft wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:46 pm

Can use that rock many, many times. The food passes through you. :lol:
I'm hoping that by the time I forget the great meals that I've had, I'll also be unable to, physically, sharpen. I suppose that I could pass my stones onto my children though, so you may have a winning argument.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

:lol: too funny
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Not why I was laughing by the way, but for a second I thought you started talking about passing kidney stones.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

STPepper9 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:24 am Not why I was laughing by the way, but for a second I thought you started talking about passing kidney stones.
Been there, no thanks.
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

All knife forums’ terms of use clearly state that the introduction of pragmstic perspective, should be avoided in all circumstances.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

ButlerHoosierChef wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:04 pm The most my wife and I have spent was around 150. It was a once in a blue moon type thing. The problem is that I know I'm going to sound arrogant but I can cook better than most places. It makes me really sad when i go and i taste their food and it makes me go I can cook this alot better at home.
Agreed. These days my wife will say “we eat better at home”. Less oil and salt, more or as much flavor. She will say this either during dinner or right before bed. These days we eat out when I don’t have time to cook or clean up.
timos

Post by timos »

Wife and I have spent $150 or so, it wasnt upscale exactly but very fresh seafood in Cape Cod. The problem was we did that for breakfast lunch and dinner. that was an expensive day, the kind of day mastercards live for :) I think Ive paid it off by now but there is really no way to know....lol.

I am looking forward to the day to try out a place with some stars, not that great food cant be had without but I would love to experience the whole package....I mean I was absolutely blown away by what I saw on Chefs table....someday.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos