Cleavers

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Lepus

Re: Cleavers

Post by Lepus »

Oh, extremely helpful, thank you. At this point I'm really just weighing the value of the #6 and #7; I'm willing to go all cleaver for a while supplementing with just a slicer for cooked roasts and a petty. I definitely want the chunkier handle seen on the Sugimoto. In for a penny, in for a pound.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Now that Lepus is done, for a home cook (for 2) like me, cant see getting more than a 180 and wife would be calling me crazy if i spent more than 200, so wait for sugimoto #30 to come back in stock or wait for cck stainless to come back?
Is the sugimoto that much better than the cck? Im hoping either will be better than my old martin yan cleaver (says Soligen lol but think it was a wusthof)
gladius

Post by gladius »

I like my Sugimoto #30 much better than any of the CCK's. It is a carefree cleaver that performs really well and the steel is pretty good: takes a good edge and holds it.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

ok i guess i will wait. thanks for the advice
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I’ve been shopping cleaves since you guys have been talking about them. Takayuki offered me a good looking inox one at a good price but the I also scored some Konosuke Fujiyama cleavers in Blue 2. Those will be hot if I can get them. Order is placed.

I also got a real cheap stainless that will compete with the CCK.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

That sounds like fun.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:27 am I’ve been shopping cleaves since you guys have been talking about them. Takayuki offered me a good looking inox one at a good price but the I also scored some Konosuke Fujiyama cleavers in Blue 2. Those will be hot if I can get them. Order is placed.

#6 Fuji or #7?
dAviD

Post by dAviD »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:27 am I’ve been shopping cleaves since you guys have been talking about them. Takayuki offered me a good looking inox one at a good price but the I also scored some Konosuke Fujiyama cleavers in Blue 2. Those will be hot if I can get them. Order is placed.

Yeah that's awesome but I'm sure I'll miss out on this.
I haven't had much luck lately getting the rare ones I've wanted...lol.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Cheap carbon outperforms cheap stainless any day of the week.
wphill

Post by wphill »

Reading this thread from the back end. Any weighing in on profile? Flat vs not flat vs other?
dAviD

Post by dAviD »

wphill wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:55 am Reading this thread from the back end. Any weighing in on profile? Flat vs not flat vs other?
My preference:
At around 200mm to 230mm a slightly flat profile is a good replacement for a standard gyuto with a very slight curve towards the tip at least, if not the end too. it helps a little bit with the tip biting into the cutting board when your speeding though product and chances are you end up tipping it anyways in the first heavy prep.
The Konosuke white#2 cleaver was almost flat and thin so as a slicing cleaver it was great but as a replacement for my chef knife not so much.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

I like them pretty flat with a little up sweep at the tip so like David was saying you have less chance of tipping it. I enjoy the Fujiyamas profile, but I could see someone wanting more curve. I like when there's a nice long flat so it gives me a more extreme flat spot to work with than my gyutos.
wphill

Post by wphill »

I have not had a real cleaver to put to the test to know an ideal profile, but I do know that I would mostly use push cuts, chop at the heel, and wish to avoid a hard landing at the heel when doing the push cuts. To date, i can’t say that I have the perfect profile and that’s ok cause adaptation is part of deal. Shibata bunka comes closest. Once I have the weight of a cleaver I imagine that makes a difference.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

wphill wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:55 am Reading this thread from the back end. Any weighing in on profile? Flat vs not flat vs other?
I have a few with a slight curve toward the tip and I like them, but I got one awhile back that is flat in the front third of the knife with a curve toward the heel. At first I thought it was going to be a no go for me, but the more I used it I realized with a cleaver I do most of my work in the front. The flat tip, combined with the weight made a chopping motion effortless, then if I needed a slight rock I just move to the back.

A slight curved tip requires you tilt your wrist a bit to use the tip and most of the time will draw the majority of your cutting tasks toward the center of the blade while the weight of the blade will make you want to use the tip so they end up feeling cumbersome.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Kalaeb wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:09 pm
I have a few with a slight curve toward the tip and I like them, but I got one awhile back that is flat in the front third of the knife with a curve toward the heel. At first I thought it was going to be a no go for me, but the more I used it I realized with a cleaver I do most of my work in the front. The flat tip, combined with the weight made a chopping motion effortless, then if I needed a slight rock I just move to the back.

A slight curved tip requires you tilt your wrist a bit to use the tip and most of the time will draw the majority of your cutting tasks toward the center of the blade while the weight of the blade will make you want to use the tip so they end up feeling cumbersome.
Interesting, makes some sense. What cleaver is it?
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Nice!

---
Ken
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Cutuu wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:19 am

#6 Fuji or #7?
6. They also had some White 2s that I ordered.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
gladius

Post by gladius »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:01 pm 6. They also had some White 2s that I ordered.
---
Got a sign-up link?
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

gladius wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:03 pm
ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:01 pm 6. They also had some White 2s that I ordered.
---
Got a sign-up link?
Soon. I have to wake up first. It was a rough day at work today keeping my eyes open.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
squidzilla

Post by squidzilla »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:01 pm
Cutuu wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:19 am

#6 Fuji or #7?
6. They also had some White 2s that I ordered.
I’m very excited to see these. I’ll definitely order one if available.