oh man that looked cool

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Afjagjones

oh man that looked cool

Post by Afjagjones »

Okada White #2 Takobiki 270mm:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/okta27.html

Didn't get my bonus in time......
nakneker

Re: oh man that looked cool

Post by nakneker »

I don’t know what I was thinking, I saw it and pondered too long. Really neat piece.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Yeah, I had a hard time passing it up also.
Barashka

Post by Barashka »

Yeh, I also pondered on it too long ...
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

I also thought about pulling the trigger but didn't decide quick enough. Is this something that would be used in the same role as a sujihiki?
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Drewski wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:05 pm I also thought about pulling the trigger but didn't decide quick enough. Is this something that would be used in the same role as a sujihiki?
Great question. I wondered the same
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Looks like a second one went today. The first was listed as a 270 and measured 292 but the latest one was called a 260 and measured 300! Judging by the pictures and the overall lengths, this must have been a typo. Still very interested.

Still wondering if anybody knows if a takobiki can be used like a suji in practice, or if they are a more specialized blade?
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Drewski wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:38 pm Still wondering if anybody knows if a takobiki can be used like a suji in practice, or if they are a more specialized blade?
Hey guys.
So first off, sujihikis are generally double bevel while takobiki and yanigi are single bevel. That said, I think takobikis are more likely to be thin at the spine than yanagis will be. Both yanagis and sujihikis will have a pointy tip while the takobiki is squared off. I think for classification purposes I would put the takobiki as a middle ground between those other two styles but leaning much more towards the yanagi side of things.

Tako is Japanese for octopus, hence takobiki is a blade specialized for processing octopus. I believe it's a variation of a yanigi. Most of the difference between a yanigi and takobiki is the tip, whereas the yanagi is pointed the tako is squared off. This serves better to process octopus.

I've read that there's a rumor that it was considered disrespectful to point the tip of a yanigi towards guests because of its similar shape to a sword, thus sushi chef's began using the squared off takobiki more (than they would have otherwise). I don't know who's pointing their knives at customers but maybe they even meant to keep that from happening incidentally during normal use. Considering the high regard for respect in Japanese culture, I think this is conceivable.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Thanks for the clarification STP! It looks like the Okada takobiki is double bevel, so maybe this would be closer to a sugi than a yanagi? In any case, I don't see myself cutting up a lot of octopus in the future (or pointing at Japanese customers), but that squared tip looks so sweet.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Drewski wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:20 am Thanks for the clarification STP! It looks like the Okada takobiki is double bevel, so maybe this would be closer to a sugi than a yanagi? In any case, I don't see myself cutting up a lot of octopus in the future (or pointing at Japanese customers), but that squared tip looks so sweet.
Huh, I hadn't realized that these ones were double bevel. I guess these are more like sujihikis.
I bet Ray and plopez would have some good insight about these styles since they own or have owned them and I have not.