Chicago Knife Show

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Re: Chicago Knife Show

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I have an idea. Let me know if this would be of interest?

Anyone that comes can request that we bring 1 knife for them to try with no obligation to buy it. We can have a cutting board or two set up and you guys can cut away or sharpen them and we’ll sell them off as used testers after the party is over. If we’re going to have a knife party we should have a way for you guys to try some stuff.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Bensbites wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:14 pm This is turning into quite the meetup. I have now had several people asking me to go, I am sorry I will not make it.
At some point someone with some tech ability should get a list together. Isn't there some sort of google doc that everyone can edit or a web sign up or something?

I really need to get with the times, my 10 year old is passing me by pretty quick.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

I am hoping someone can broadcast a google hangout video chat and I can pop by. I have a loyal customer who might go and might bring some of my handles to show off.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:37 pm
Cutuu wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:42 pm
ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:20 pm I’m thinking the guys would like to go bowling. That and drinking Budweiser beer would be very American. :)
Something about the Asian culture that loves cheap American domestic beer. I'm curious how they would take to the American craft beer.
When they came last time Kurosaki tried to bring back a can of Bud in his suitcase and it exploded on him. :o
:lol:
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I think I can put together a Google doc page that covers the needs for this one. What do you guys want on it? Dates, locations, suggested hotels at the very least.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Lepus wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:46 pm I think I can put together a Google doc page that covers the needs for this one. What do you guys want on it? Dates, locations, suggested hotels at the very least.
You might be better off with a spreadsheet.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Lepus wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:46 pm I think I can put together a Google doc page that covers the needs for this one. What do you guys want on it? Dates, locations, suggested hotels at the very least.
Yes and a list of people that are planning on attending.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Carter

Post by Carter »

Lepus wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:45 pm I'm curious how they would take to bourbon.

I started marking in my plans today. I hope to get there Friday and leave Wednesday-ish.
The Japanese were (maybe still are) the largest market for Maker's Mark.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:43 pm I have an idea. Let me know if this would be of interest?

Anyone that comes can request that we bring 1 knife for them to try with no obligation to buy it. We can have a cutting board or two set up and you guys can cut away or sharpen them and we’ll sell them off as used testers after the party is over. If we’re going to have a knife party we should have a way for you guys to try some stuff.
Fantastic idea!
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Chefspence wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:30 pm
ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:43 pm I have an idea. Let me know if this would be of interest?

Fantastic idea!
Mark is killing me... I've been sitting quiet till now, but c'mon!
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Carter wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:56 pm
Lepus wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:45 pm I'm curious how they would take to bourbon.

I started marking in my plans today. I hope to get there Friday and leave Wednesday-ish.
The Japanese were (maybe still are) the largest market for Maker's Mark.
I can bring a big bottle of Woodford Reserve..... :D
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:31 pm I can bring a big bottle of Woodford Reserve..... :D
If I were driving (90% sure I'm flying)....I could bring lots of really good brown liquid....that would be fun in its' own right, but probably rude and counterproductive to what Mark is putting together...plus the liability of lots a loaded up knife fanatics playing with uber sharp blades. Maybe we do an annual knife show and alternate years with a drinking event...or semi-annual.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Carter wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:44 pm
Jeff B wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:31 pm I can bring a big bottle of Woodford Reserve..... :D
If I were driving (90% sure I'm flying)....I could bring lots of really good brown liquid....that would be fun in its' own right, but probably rude and counterproductive to what Mark is putting together...plus the liability of lots a loaded up knife fanatics playing with uber sharp blades. Maybe we do an annual knife show and alternate years with a drinking event...or semi-annual.
Damn, no guns and no bourbon....what's a Kentucky boy to do! :cry:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Yes, a knife show with sloshed customers might be dangerous. But, how about a knife show with sloshed Japanese guests who have flown many hours in order to meet people and (presumably) sample our whiskeys?
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Speaking of guns. If those guys like to shoot, I have an ar15 with a slide fire butt, which basically turns my semi-auto into a fully-auto. 30 rounds in 5 seconds. It’s a blast!

Please don’t turn this into a weird gun convo. I only shoot for sport.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Altadan wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:19 pm
Chefspence wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:30 pm

Fantastic idea!
Mark is killing me... I've been sitting quiet till now, but c'mon!
I know! I started half-hearted about making a vacation for this, but dang...it’s serious now.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

I am starting to think about flying in for the day.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

gastro gnome wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:08 pm Yes, a knife show with sloshed customers might be dangerous. But, how about a knife show with sloshed Japanese guests who have flown many hours in order to meet people and (presumably) sample our whiskeys?
Yeah I wasn't really thinking about getting a bunch of knife nutz sloshed but was thinking more about just a shot or two with our Japanese friends together with several forum guests. I mean hey, the restaurant is providing us with a bartender.
Last edited by Jeff B on Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

Carter wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:44 pm
Don’t worry, Carter. There’s a Binny’s down the street (on W. Grand) that has a great selection of scotch 8-)
--- Steve
Carter

Post by Carter »

pd7077 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:23 pm Don’t worry, Carter. There’s a Binny’s down the street (on W. Grand) that has a great selection of scotch 8-)
Now that's a reason to drive...NC has state controlled liquor stores, so the selection is not quite what I was used to in Miami. If I drive, I can hit stores in TN, KY, IN, IL....think of the possibilities....