Chicago Knife Show

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
STPepper9

Re: Chicago Knife Show

Post by STPepper9 »

Haha, yeah that Binnys isn't bad, especially if you have a loyalty card
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:18 pm
Chefspence wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:59 pm And what if I want to hang out with you and the smiths all weekend? If I came, I am definitely wanting to come to Madison and see the new place and hold every single knife in the warehouse for probably 5-10 min a piece. Can I just get a key? 8-)
Yes you guys are all welcome to caravan up to Madison if you want. The next day we’ll be going to the office and we can let you guys come in and open all the boxes if you like. :) I need to get some gloves or I’ll be wiping down knives for the next month after you leave. Hahahah
Anyone else picturing the old episode of the Simpsons where Bart's class goes on a field trip to the chocolate factory?

ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:31 pm
Carter wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:56 pm
Lepus wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:45 pm I'm curious how they would take to bourbon.

I started marking in my plans today. I hope to get there Friday and leave Wednesday-ish.
The Japanese were (maybe still are) the largest market for Maker's Mark.
I can bring a big bottle of Woodford Reserve..... :D
Yes please! I really enjoyed that bottle of Woodford I drank over the winter.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:50 pm
Carter wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:44 pm
Jeff B wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:31 pm I can bring a big bottle of Woodford Reserve..... :D
If I were driving (90% sure I'm flying)....I could bring lots of really good brown liquid....that would be fun in its' own right, but probably rude and counterproductive to what Mark is putting together...plus the liability of lots a loaded up knife fanatics playing with uber sharp blades. Maybe we do an annual knife show and alternate years with a drinking event...or semi-annual.
Damn, no guns and no bourbon....what's a Kentucky boy to do! :cry:
Bring a horse. ;)
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I am going to need a rundown on Chicago transit from someone who knows it. I just checked Google maps to check traveling from O'Hare to Roka Akor and I pray to god there are options. With as many people who have expressed interest we might end up renting a few cars, vans, or shuttles? This is getting to be a bear, but I'm so up for it.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I was just going to grab an Uber, lol.
timos

Post by timos »

looks to be about 30$ right now to grab a 4 person uber car from o'hare to roka akor....but about 45 minutes to drive 16 miles....hmm
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

Lepus wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:02 pm I am going to need a rundown on Chicago transit from someone who knows it. I just checked Google maps to check traveling from O'Hare to Roka Akor and I pray to god there are options. With as many people who have expressed interest we might end up renting a few cars, vans, or shuttles? This is getting to be a bear, but I'm so up for it.
You could always just take the Blue Line from O’Hare into downtown.
--- Steve
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

timos wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:17 pm looks to be about 30$ right now to grab a 4 person uber car from o'hare to roka akor....but about 45 minutes to drive 16 miles....hmm
Sounds about right.

Looks like I am staying at the Blake, not an unreasonable walk from the restaurant, but probably not a good idea to walk it with two bags of knives on my back.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Uber is my plan, too. With as many people as seem interested we could have other options, though. We're only going to be able to tie so many people to Pepper's roof.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:13 am
Jeff B wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:50 pm Damn, no guns and no bourbon....what's a Kentucky boy to do! :cry:
Bring a horse. ;)
:lol: I'll have to see if the hotel allows pets...
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Kalaeb wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:21 pm
timos wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:17 pm looks to be about 30$ right now to grab a 4 person uber car from o'hare to roka akor....but about 45 minutes to drive 16 miles....hmm
Sounds about right.

Looks like I am staying at the Blake, not an unreasonable walk from the restaurant, but probably not a good idea to walk it with two bags of knives on my back.
You can take the subway from the airport to within 5 blocks of the restaurant for a few bucks. The Blue line takes you to downtown in about 30 minutes.

https://www.transitchicago.com/airports/
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Slight hiccup. I went to book the room with Roka Akor and they told me they’re not open until 5pm so we couldn’t get the room until then.

That wouldn’t be a problem for me but I want to know if you guys are ok with this or should we stick with early afternoon and I can find another room? Our hotel, Westin River North would certainly be available for us and it’s pretty much right across the street. There’s a bunch of restaurants and hotels nearby where I could ask for space.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Mark just pick us up in you CKTG bus... :lol:. The blue line sounds like the ticket. I enjoy a good city Walk.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I need to figure this Blue Line thing out.... :? Hard being a dumb southern boy.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

All, I am happy to help with local logistics to the degree that I can.

It is dead easy to take the Blue Line in from the airport. The Clark/Lake stop is mere blocks from Roka Akor (and if the venue changes, you can easily get wherever you need to within the Loop (downtown business district).

Whether you want to take the Blue Line or a ride share or some other option depends entirely on the time/day of your arrival. If you are arriving during rush hour (5 PM-7 PM thereabouts), there is often heavy traffic on the expressway to and from the airport. Taking the train is going to be faster and getting a cab or a rideshare will just have you sitting in traffic.

If you are arriving on a weekend, then the traffic should not be much of an issue.

While the train is pretty easy to use, allow 45 minutes or so from the airport to downtown. Trains run every 5 minutes or so during the week (most frequently during rush hours) but it may be more like 10+ minutes between trains on off hours or during the weekends.

If there are other questions that locals can help with, don't hesitate to ask.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Kalaeb wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:21 pm
Sounds about right.

Not entirely sure what the nature of your concern is about walking with your knives. If it's about theft, I would not be too concerned in this area of the city. It's smack dab in a a business (during the week) and night life district and I have found it to be pretty safe. Obviously, good to be streetwise wherever you are, but that's my two cents.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:56 pm Slight hiccup. I went to book the room with Roka Akor and they told me they’re not open until 5pm so we couldn’t get the room until then.

That wouldn’t be a problem for me but I want to know if you guys are ok with this or should we stick with early afternoon and I can find another room? Our hotel, Westin River North would certainly be available for us and it’s pretty much right across the street. There’s a bunch of restaurants and hotels nearby where I could ask for space.
I'm OK with whatever time you pick (the whole Sunday is pretty free as the Bears play on Monday night).

There are definitely a lot of other potential venues in the area if you choose to go that route. I imagine that getting an a room somewhere in the afternoon might be a bit less in demand, but Sunday evening may not be a high time either.
Barashka

Post by Barashka »

pd7077 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:20 pm
Lepus wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:02 pm I am going to need a rundown on Chicago transit from someone who knows it. I just checked Google maps to check traveling from O'Hare to Roka Akor and I pray to god there are options. With as many people who have expressed interest we might end up renting a few cars, vans, or shuttles? This is getting to be a bear, but I'm so up for it.
You could always just take the Blue Line from O’Hare into downtown.
I second Blue Line if you can with all the luggage, driving in Chicago can be very hit and miss. Blue line takes you downtown and around a bit, it will be much more consistent to take transit.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:56 pm Slight hiccup. I went to book the room with Roka Akor and they told me they’re not open until 5pm so we couldn’t get the room until then.

So have we figured out were this is going to happen, I need to know so I can start making reservations.