Who has tried their kono western Sweden gyutos

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Cutuu

Who has tried their kono western Sweden gyutos

Post by Cutuu »

So I know people got them. I have to still to pick mine up from Fed ex. What do you think?
Lepus

Re: Who has tried their kono western Sweden gyutos

Post by Lepus »

They're both great, almost exactly what I wanted and expected. I like the slicer best of them. The 210mm is a bit larger than I expected in hand, enough I'm not sure if I'll keep it. It's a wonderful knife, I just have other knives to fill that niche.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Lepus wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:02 am They're both great, almost exactly what I wanted and expected. I like the slicer best of them. The 210mm is a bit larger than I expected in hand, enough I'm not sure if I'll keep it. It's a wonderful knife, I just have other knives to fill that niche.
I actually shortened mine (HD, not one of the SS, but virtually identical in terms of size and profile and grind, I suspect). It is at 208 now. I think it took less than an hour from start to finish. These knives are so thin with such a nice distal taper that I didn't have to thin it at all and it didn't lose any noticeable performance at all. One is of the HD alone, and the other compares it to my 203mm HD (Wa, on the top)—as you can see, even after the shortening of about 3mm, it was very easy to maintain the profile and everything of the "typical" kono. Ignore the weird reflection on the bevel...just halogen tricks in my kitchen.

I like the Western in 210 so much I almost bought an SS...and then I almost bought one for my friend as a housewarming gift, but they were sold out! I didn't like it nearly as much at 211-2mm, though, oddly enough.
Attachments
IMG_1209.JPG
IMG_1212.JPG
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
RonAZ

Post by RonAZ »

I got the western ss 270. Limited use so far but initial impression is great. Near laser with definite heft when cutting. Very sharp out of the box.
Ron
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

I got the 270 gyuto and use it frequently for cutting melons and the like.. Very good in a pro setting. I suspect it will be a little while before I need to sharpen it.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Thats what I like to hear give me the news about the 270 gyuto. @lepus if I didn't like the saya so dang much on the wa suji I got back a while ago, I'd offer it in a trade.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

I got a 210 and let my wife who never would pick up a 210 and she sliced a tomato into paper thin slices with glee. OMG she said look hot thin those are! That about covers keeping it.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

I really like the 270.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Alright, I'll ask a couple questions:. How is the distal taper, profile, balance point. Overall feel nimble? Food release I would expect less than great?
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Very nimble
Excellent distal taper
Food release sucks
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Nmiller21k wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:51 pm Very nimble
Excellent distal taper
Food release sucks
That sounds about what I was expecting.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

I like my 270 gyuto very much.
Usual Kono standards of fit and finish. Super sharp out of the box.
I am not into big gyutos but this is so well balanced and light that i use it more than i though I would.
Super deal too!
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Cutuu wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:58 pm
Excellent distal taper
Food release sucks
That’s interesting to me. I have tried both Kono hd and w2 and found the food release to be better than expected. Is the western different?
salemj

Post by salemj »

Chefspence wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:55 pm
Excellent distal taper
Food release sucks
That’s interesting to me. I have tried both Kono hd and w2 and found the food release to be better than expected. Is the western different?
These are all mixes of relative distinctions. I will readily admit that my HDs and other Konos are on the "poor" side of food release, but I also think they are better than a lot of cheaper, flatter ground monosteel blades that are similar thickness. My sense has always been that Nick owns and prefers slightly lower-ground, more powerful, weighter, and more authoritative blades (which tend to excel at food separation and sometimes at food release as well), and I assume he has the technique to make these blades also release well given his experience, etc.—he's probably very quick with his knives, which virtually always aids in release. Compared to those, the Konos would "suck." But compared to similar-style blades, I would say they are better than average. I'm hoping Nick will read this and chime and perhaps say whether he finds them better or worse than average for the style of blade. I don't mean to speak for others (including Nick), but I don't think my comments are off or that - even if they are - that they would be offensive somehow...I hope not!
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

I would say their average

Maybe slightly above average.
My food release tends to be tested on potatoes.
I do cut very fast and after two yukons you start to see sticking.
Cucumbers stick almost immediately.
The wet foods stick to most everything.

But with any monosteel thin laser you're going to have sticking and food release issues.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

salemj wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:18 pm

These are all mixes of relative distinctions. I will readily admit that my HDs and other Konos are on the "poor" side of food release, but I also think they are better than a lot of cheaper, flatter ground monosteel blades that are similar thickness. My sense has always been that Nick owns and prefers slightly lower-ground, more powerful, weighter, and more authoritative blades (which tend to excel at food separation and sometimes at food release as well), and I assume he has the technique to make these blades also release well given his experience, etc.—he's probably very quick with his knives, which virtually always aids in release. Compared to those, the Konos would "suck." But compared to similar-style blades, I would say they are better than average. I'm hoping Nick will read this and chime and perhaps say whether he finds them better or worse than average for the style of blade. I don't mean to speak for others (including Nick), but I don't think my comments are off or that - even if they are - that they would be offensive somehow...I hope not!
I find your synopsis correct in that, the faster your stroke, the better the release on pretty much every kind of knife I’ve had. Even though my Kuro Megumi is not thin, it has great release and good performance if used when sharp and authoritative. Same with the Gihei B2. I’ve recently tried the Shibata AS, and though even thinner than any Kono I’ve tried, it still offers good release when used authoritative. I just was wondering because it seems like most lasers get a “bad release” rep when it’s not totally true. I trust Nicks opinion, and like him(perhaps) like more authoritative amazing cutters. I just can’t see the Kono western being any different, hence the question. I always respect your input Joe. Thank you
salemj

Post by salemj »

Nmiller21k wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:34 pm I would say their average

Maybe slightly above average.
My food release tends to be tested on potatoes.
I do cut very fast and after two yukons you start to see sticking.
Cucumbers stick almost immediately.
The wet foods stick to most everything.

But with any monosteel thin laser you're going to have sticking and food release issues.
Thanks, C-Spence, and thanks for following up, Nick: I was really interested in getting a bit more nuance from you on this point, and as usual, your comments were super clear and very helpful.

I recently had a bad run with my HDs: I did a little BKF clean-up of the blades and apparently the mix was too concentrated and I left it on too long. They reacted stronger than ever before and the finish is now quite "starched." I'm somewhat relieved in that I finally think it is time to "refinish" them with some sandpaper.

All of that is to say that I'm always been super-suspicious that the Konos would have better food release if they had a different finishing grit on the blade sides. I'd know better if I had any W#2 gyutos, but I don't. In some ways, the Shibatas prove this point. So, I guess I'll finally have the chance to perhaps give that a bit of a test run...we'll see. I definitely noticed a HUGE difference with my Nubatama on this point: at first I stopped at a rough finish around 600 when I was working on the blade; when I got closer to where I wanted it to stay and took it up to 1500-2000, the performance improved in a massive way, including in terms of gliding through food and ease of release. This was actually the opposite of what I expect, so it was quite the surprise...
~J

Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Good separation isn't great but it's the only downside
And you will get that with almost every Laser
These are fantastic deals
Incredibly nimble and a joy to cut with
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Excellent distal taper
Food release sucks
Yep, I have the same thoughts. I do like how Nick explains it though. Food release on every laser I own still beats the pants off of things like my FKM and similar blades. Taters just weld themselves to the face of the blade. But you know, all potatoes are different too. One bag can be a pain in the ass for sticking and another not near as much.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Kit Craft wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:10 am

Yep, I have the same thoughts. I do like how Nick explains it though. Food release on every laser I own still beats the pants off of things like my FKM and similar blades. Taters just weld themselves to the face of the blade. But you know, all potatoes are different too. One bag can be a pain in the ass for sticking and another not near as much.
Agreed. My Richmond GT (Fkm) and Kanehide both were like suction cups. Joe, I found that, even though the Shibata AS had some texture on the blade, it still will suction, slightly, to things like red cabbage or other dense, flat, wet ingredients. Only if going slow though. I think speed is the name of the game for lasers. Imo