Sanituff cutting boards

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Seattle_Ben
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:56 am
Location: Seattle

Sanituff cutting boards

Post by Seattle_Ben » Thu May 31, 2018 5:20 pm

They're ugly as all get out but at the nicest place that I ever worked that what we used. They're certainly relatively cheap depending on where you get them and I was pretty surprised at how durable they were. Finer blades definitely had potential to get into them but they sure were gentle on edges. Seem a little surprised that I've never seen anyone even reference them.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/12-x-1 ... 1218H.html

User avatar
Kit Craft
Posts: 4715
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:57 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Sanituff cutting boards

Post by Kit Craft » Thu May 31, 2018 5:49 pm

I have heard other talk about these and others in the past but have never used one. I might have to pick one up for my mother. She is about due for a new board as I am sure her semi annual face grain looks like a taco shell at this point.

Nmiller21k
Posts: 2424
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:55 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Sanituff cutting boards

Post by Nmiller21k » Thu May 31, 2018 6:15 pm

They're nice I really enjoy them.

User avatar
Jeff B
Posts: 10485
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Sanituff cutting boards

Post by Jeff B » Thu May 31, 2018 7:22 pm

They have been brought up a few times in cutting board threads. Generally they get pretty positive reviews if using/needing something other than wood.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

delmar
Posts: 924
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:59 pm

Re: Sanituff cutting boards

Post by delmar » Thu May 31, 2018 7:30 pm

Jeff B wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 7:22 pm
They have been brought up a few times in cutting board threads. Generally they get pretty positive reviews if using/needing something other than wood.
Yep. +1. Search and you should find it...might need to look on old site.

I have one - way better than poly but not quite as nice as hi soft. A bit of a muted hard rubber feel on feedback. Can get a touch of blade scarring, but no where near as bad as poly. Supposedly can sand down, although I've never tried. Keep away from heat.

Chefspence
Posts: 2318
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:03 pm

Re: Sanituff cutting boards

Post by Chefspence » Thu May 31, 2018 8:17 pm

Is high-soft super expensive, or am i not finding the good deals?

delmar
Posts: 924
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:59 pm

Re: Sanituff cutting boards

Post by delmar » Thu May 31, 2018 8:28 pm

Yep, they are pricey.

Cutuu
Posts: 2693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: Sanituff cutting boards

Post by Cutuu » Thu May 31, 2018 8:47 pm

Nmiller21k wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:15 pm
They're nice I really enjoy them.
My thoughts also

Cutuu
Posts: 2693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: Sanituff cutting boards

Post by Cutuu » Thu May 31, 2018 8:48 pm

I got mine for like $30 at a restaurant supply store Eh Thompson.

Seattle_Ben
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:56 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Sanituff cutting boards

Post by Seattle_Ben » Thu May 31, 2018 9:21 pm

delmar wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 7:30 pm
Jeff B wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 7:22 pm
They have been brought up a few times in cutting board threads. Generally they get pretty positive reviews if using/needing something other than wood.
Yep. +1. Search and you should find it...might need to look on old site.

I have one - way better than poly but not quite as nice as hi soft. A bit of a muted hard rubber feel on feedback. Can get a touch of blade scarring, but no where near as bad as poly. Supposedly can sand down, although I've never tried. Keep away from heat.
The other place that I worked that used them ruined three by leaving them in the dishwasher.

Kalaeb
Posts: 2239
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:59 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Sanituff cutting boards

Post by Kalaeb » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:17 am

Chefspence wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:17 pm
Is high-soft super expensive, or am i not finding the good deals?
Sanituff is darn near the same thing.

We always had these on the line, probably because they are easy to custom shape but always used poly in prep. I never minded them but they stain easy.

old onion
Posts: 614
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:09 pm
Location: N.E. Ohio

Re: Sanituff cutting boards

Post by old onion » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:47 am

I have a High - Soft which is about 16-1/2 x 15-1/2 x 3/4" and I like it a lot for dealing with a chicken or other meats when I don't want to get that stuff into my good wood cutting boards.The High Soft also keeps my knife edge safe. I'm thinking I paid like $48 bucks for it at Korin. I didn't know about Santituff when I bought it. Mine is easy to clean and hasn't stained yet.I'm sure it will in time but I don't let it sit around with blood on it either,when I am done,I clean it up.

Chefspence
Posts: 2318
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:03 pm

Re: Sanituff cutting boards

Post by Chefspence » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:39 am

Kalaeb wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:17 am
Chefspence wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:17 pm
Is high-soft super expensive, or am i not finding the good deals?
Sanituff is darn near the same thing.

We always had these on the line, probably because they are easy to custom shape but always used poly in prep. I never minded them but they stain easy.
I saw something on amazon for 4-600$. I figured that couldn’t be right.

RickR
Posts: 744
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:03 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Sanituff cutting boards

Post by RickR » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:59 am

Chefspence wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:39 am
Kalaeb wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:17 am
Chefspence wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:17 pm
Is high-soft super expensive, or am i not finding the good deals?
Sanituff is darn near the same thing.

We always had these on the line, probably because they are easy to custom shape but always used poly in prep. I never minded them but they stain easy.
I saw something on amazon for 4-600$. I figured that couldn’t be right.
Korin has more reasonable prices, though they are still expensive. http://www.korin.com/TK-203-01-100

I've used both and the Hi-Soft will stand up under abuse a lot better than a Sani-Tuff. Scars on Hi-Soft are somewhat self-healing, not so much on Sani-Tuff.

User avatar
sharksfan7
Posts: 435
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:53 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Sanituff cutting boards

Post by sharksfan7 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:45 am

I've been thinking of getting one of these. For home use, is there much of an added benefit to the 1" thick boards compared to the 1/2" thick ones, like there is with wood? I've read that they can warp but are easy to reflatten.
--Tony

old onion
Posts: 614
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:09 pm
Location: N.E. Ohio

Re: Sanituff cutting boards

Post by old onion » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:00 am

sharksfan7 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:45 am
I've been thinking of getting one of these. For home use, is there much of an added benefit to the 1" thick boards compared to the 1/2" thick ones, like there is with wood? I've read that they can warp but are easy to reflatten.
My 3/4 inch thick Hi-Soft is pretty stiff and not flexible so I doubt warpage would be a problem. I wouldn't use real hot boiling water on any of them though.I think they warn against that.Consider that the thicker the board,the more money it will cost too.

User avatar
sharksfan7
Posts: 435
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:53 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Sanituff cutting boards

Post by sharksfan7 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:40 am

old onion wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:00 am

...
Consider that the thicker the board,the more money it will cost too.
Yeah, that's why I asked. I'm always looking to save a few bucks. If a 1/2" thick one would serve me just as well as a thicker one, I'd prefer to go that route. For my wood board I didn't want to go thinner than 1.5", but I don't think there are the same issues to consider with the synthetic rubber boards. However, if there was a compelling reason to go thicker with the Sani-tuff, I would.
--Tony

Seattle_Ben
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:56 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Sanituff cutting boards

Post by Seattle_Ben » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:46 pm

Chefspence wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:39 am
Kalaeb wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:17 am
Chefspence wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:17 pm
Is high-soft super expensive, or am i not finding the good deals?
Sanituff is darn near the same thing.

We always had these on the line, probably because they are easy to custom shape but always used poly in prep. I never minded them but they stain easy.
I saw something on amazon for 4-600$. I figured that couldn’t be right.
Link at the top has em for $40. Not sure what shipping is exactly but the 1" thick worked well in production settings so should be totally fine for home use.

Kalaeb
Posts: 2239
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:59 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Sanituff cutting boards

Post by Kalaeb » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:49 pm

sharksfan7 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:45 am
I've been thinking of getting one of these. For home use, is there much of an added benefit to the 1" thick boards compared to the 1/2" thick ones, like there is with wood? I've read that they can warp but are easy to reflatten.
We always out ours through the dish pit at the end of the night and they would warp a little but the flattened out by morning. Ours were probably closer to 3/4.

Chefspence
Posts: 2318
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:03 pm

Re: Sanituff cutting boards

Post by Chefspence » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:50 pm

Seattle_Ben wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:46 pm
Chefspence wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:39 am
Kalaeb wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:17 am


Sanituff is darn near the same thing.

We always had these on the line, probably because they are easy to custom shape but always used poly in prep. I never minded them but they stain easy.
I saw something on amazon for 4-600$. I figured that couldn’t be right.
Link at the top has em for $40. Not sure what shipping is exactly but the 1" thick worked well in production settings so should be totally fine for home use.
Right I did another search just to check and got some crazyvprices

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ChefKnivesToGo, uyvynk and 12 guests