Konosuke Togatta size question

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Kit Craft

Re: Konosuke Togatta size question

Post by Kit Craft »

I think I like it better this way and as Jeff said, as its own thing. Though I can't know that for sure without trying it. Guess I'll have to put up or shut up when these come in.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

I hope some cookie cutter idea doesn't dominate and make this gyuto into 50 mm tall just because alot of people like 50 mm tall gyutos. The kashima is listed as shorter and I wouldn't change it at all. It's part of what makes those style of knives what they are. They become the ultimate petty, gyuto suji imo. There are plenty of tall gyutos or gyutos at 50 mm. People get so caught up in there spec preferences that they want to make everything the same, which I personally dislike. I have gyutos all over the place short, fat, tall, thin etc. And I like it that way. I understand people have there preferences and want knifes that meet them, but I would prefer to have tools that Excel at different things rather than all vanilla. Stay strong Mark and rage against the machine!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

All I know is this always seems to swing back to the KS profile and the thought that the KS was a shorter knife at the heel. When the KS was building it's stellar reputation the knives were more often than not 50mm at the heel. It was only in the last couple years before they became nearly extinct where most batches started to show up in the shorter heel heights and that's when a lot of people started to complain about them instead of praise them. 50mm is not overly tall for a 240 and especially not if it is a long 240.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

[YouTube][/YouTube]
Jeff B wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:43 am All I know is this always seems to swing back to the KS profile and the thought that the KS was a shorter knife at the heel. When the KS was building it's stellar reputation the knives were more often than not 50mm at the heel. It was only in the last couple years before they became nearly extinct where most batches started to show up in the shorter heel heights and that's when a lot of people started to complain about them instead of praise them. 50mm is not overly tall for a 240 and especially not if it is a long 240.
I understand the thought. I'm just saying there is some benefits to the shorter gyuto that is hated on. With style of profile it becomes also like a petty but still enough of a gyuto to be a gyuto. I don't feel the kashima needs to be taller( I know we r referring to the GS+), which I would think is extremely similiar in style to the GS+ version
ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

I am honestly just happy we can sit here and have this intellectual debate on an awesome new knife that Mark is lining up for us all. That is just so cool rather than being at the mercy of either a hefty price tag or run of the mill knives. Maybe there can be two versions a short and a tall or like 48 on the 210 and 50 on the 240 or vice versa. Whatever tickles the pickle! Just excited by all these knives!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Shorter height in a gyuto can serve a purpose to some and many may like a shorter knife, it's totally understandable. I'm definitely not saying it's wrong, everything in our knife world comes down to personal preference. What drives these decisions most I think in the eyes of Mark and Konosuke is what do the masses want and will appeal to more people. It's kind of a situation were majority rules because it benefits more people. Those that do like the shorter height do have options but if I'm putting out a knife I want it to appeal to the biggest crowd which seems to lean toward more height.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Since most of these French profiles blades are shorter, why not offer one that is 50mm? Offering variety like that is important in this small subcategory or gyutos, otherwise I personally wouldn’t try any of them, and that’s just not fair to me :( Betides that, there’s already variance in this category when it comes to grinds, thickness, handles, steel types....
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I showed Kosuke this thread and then we discussed. He and I both want to do the profile that he drew up. We both like doing something unique instead of a straight copy of the old KS.

Don’t look for it soon. I’m guessing 6-12 months on it.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:30 am I showed Kosuke this thread and then we discussed. He and I both want to do the profile that he drew up. We both like doing something unique instead of a straight copy of the old KS.

Thank you for the update, Mark. And thank you and Kosuke for working so hard to bring us the things we enjoy!
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I tend to like shorter knives if I am mostly push cutting and taller knives when chopping or rocking. I've got a mix of both, though most of my stuff is on the taller side.

As Jeff B acknowledges, it's a matter of preference. What do the masses prefer? Not my concern. I am happy to sample tall knives and short ones as the come along. (-:
Jeffry B
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:30 am I showed Kosuke this thread and then we discussed. He and I both want to do the profile that he drew up. We both like doing something unique instead of a straight copy of the old KS.

I agree Mark, unique is the key as opposed to trying to copy something already out there.
RamenMonster69

Post by RamenMonster69 »

Is there any chance for a white #2 steel version of this knife? Konosuke used to make a monosteel version of their laser gyuto right?
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

RamenMonster69 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:31 pm Is there any chance for a white #2 steel version of this knife? Konosuke used to make a monosteel version of their laser gyuto right?
No chance. The knife maker we’re using won’t do mono clad white #2. Also, using it would drag us back closer to the KS.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
RamenMonster69

Post by RamenMonster69 »

Fair enough. Forgive my ignorance, does kono contract with a lot of different producers. I thought I saw they used to have one on this site? Also this knife is also thinner than the KS to differentiate it as well right? Thanks.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Konosuke did offer a White#2 monosteel knife in the past. But from Konosuke himself, it's possible we may never see them again.
It has gone the way of the Dodo bird. :geek:
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Konosuke contracts through multiple knife makers and blacksmiths in Sakai and Sanjo.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

RamenMonster69 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:34 pm Fair enough. Forgive my ignorance, does kono contract with a lot of different producers. I thought I saw they used to have one on this site? Also this knife is also thinner than the KS to differentiate it as well right? Thanks.
Yes Konosuke is like a general contractor. My buddy Kosuke will contact a blacksmith and then work with them for months trying to get a design done that satisfies his aesthetic tastes and how it performs. Once they agree on size, shape, finish, hardness, grinds and engraving, he will purchase the blades and offer them to me. He’s picky and really tries to make cool, unique stuff.

As for the white #2 the guys that make these for Kosuke can still make them but the HD2 line is way, way more popular. Also, the 240mm Gyuto sells 20 to 1 over anything else, so both Kosuke and I decided a long time ago to have the maker produce these to the exclusion of other steels and other sizes since we rarely can keep the HD2 240 in stock. When we sold the white #2 version years ago they were unpopular in comparison. That’s why we dumped it.

If there was unlimited supply I would be happy to pick up lasers in all shapes and sizes and steels like we did 8 years ago.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
knifefan5

Post by knifefan5 »

I first find this forum, where the seller takes an active part in the discussion of the desired profile of the knife, taking into account all wishes of the participants. This deserves a lot of respect!
knifefan5

Post by knifefan5 »

50 mm is the optimum width for use for long years. Given the fact that the knife must be periodically sharpened.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Here is the mule. Anyone like to take it for a test drive?

Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo