Yahiko Ice

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Yahiko Ice

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

We're getting a lot of stuff pouring in and I'm having a hard time getting it all on the website. This line needs a spotlight.

These knives are AWESOME! I actually got a hakata and a bunka earlier in the year and I didn't have a name for them or a proper section. I'm calling the Yahiko Ice. Boy are they curiously similar to that shop in Sanjo that is run by Mr. Yamamoto. hmmm what is it called again? Yoshi something or another... :)

The finish is just jaw dropping on them and the grinds are thin and beautifully done. White #2 is their preferred steel to use and they do a really nice job heat treating and quenching them as well.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yaicesh2.html

My only problem is it takes them close to a year to ship my orders. I got 6 of the 210s and 4 of the 240s on this delivery.

Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
slobound

Re: Yahiko Ice

Post by slobound »

Man, there are so many knives I want right now!
-- Garrick
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Those will not last long.
ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

Just ordered one to see what it will be like.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

ButlerHoosierChef wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:09 am Just ordered one to see what it will be like.
We expect some sort of write up, hm ;)
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

They look amazing, as did the other knives. Tempting even with all the other knives floating around.
Omega

Post by Omega »

Might a person that buys one of these find them similar to.. a Gengetsu?
That finish is nothing short of entrancing
ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

Ok I guess I could try and write something up after. I am still a complete noob when it comes to Japanese knives so i will give it my best shot.
OgerBash

Post by OgerBash »

Only 4 240's! I must order immediately!
OgerBash

Post by OgerBash »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:49 am We're getting a lot of stuff pouring in and I'm having a hard time getting it all on the website. This line needs a spotlight.

These knives are AWESOME! I actually got a hakata and a bunka earlier in the year and I didn't have a name for them or a proper section. I'm calling the Yahiko Ice. Boy are they curiously similar to that shop in Sanjo that is run by Mr. Yamamoto. hmmm what is it called again? Yoshi something or another... :)

The finish is just jaw dropping on them and the grinds are thin and beautifully done. White #2 is their preferred steel to use and they do a really nice job heat treating and quenching them as well.

My only problem is it takes them close to a year to ship my orders. I got 6 of the 210s and 4 of the 240s on this delivery.

Mark,

What's the spin thickness? I'm tired of trying lasers for awhile. I need to try some middle weight or workhorse knives.
Igalor

Post by Igalor »

These look great!
Any chance we might see some more curiously similar to their SLD offerings?
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Very nice knives. I think I might start with the Bunka first. A 180mm with 55mm height. Fantastic specs
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

hahahaha I just had a guy call me and ask me to compare and contrast an Anryu and a Yoshimune and I told him "Forget about those knives and get the ICE!"
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Knowing what we know and seeing what we see, I think that could be the best advice you can offer until they're gone.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:41 pm hahahaha I just had a guy call me and ask me to compare and contrast an Anryu and a Yoshimune and I told him "Forget about those knives and get the ICE!"
Okay, all right, okay, all right. I bought one!

I might do a passaround styled like the the one I did for the Yoshi SG2 or the one Lepus did with the Kubara. First I'll have to give it a whirl and see what I think.

Now it's my assumption that the Ice is also produced by the same maker of the Yahiko Nashiji that I already own. I plan to get a Yahiko Kurouchi soon as well. I'll end up keeping one, or maybe two, of these three knives. We'll see.

I'll be able to compare to the Anryu and Yoshimune given that I've owned both the 210 and 240 Anyru and two versions of the Yoshi 240.

Gonna be hard to measure the Ice to the Yoshi, apples to apples, since they are quite different. The Yoshi is more of a middleweight or welter weight and it's got a distinctive tip that's arguably the finest I've used. Unique finish, too.
Jeffry B
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

The stainless cladding is definitely a plus for the frosted finish over so many iron clad knives from this region. They are awfully light for a long 240, insinuating a thinner spine. Doesn't seem to follow the norm here either for a Sanjo knife.

Jeffry I think you need to make this a buy in pass around, I'd be in!
Last edited by Jeff B on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
OgerBash

Post by OgerBash »

I gave in and picked up a 240. :cry:
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

One gripe....

I'm getting tired of how tight the handles are installed to the choil on many of the new knives hitting the store lately! I like anywhere between 15-20mm between the handle and choil and consider 18mm to be about perfect.
NEED MORE FINGER ROOM IN A PINCH GRIP! :ugeek:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:49 am We're getting a lot of stuff pouring in and I'm having a hard time getting it all on the website. This line needs a spotlight.

I think I have the hakata and I love it.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Yes you do. :)
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo