Japanesse and Western style handles

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
matchplay18

Japanesse and Western style handles

Post by matchplay18 »

I just recently replaced a Japanese style handle on a Kato AS . The thing that strikes me the most is the length of the tang maybe 3'' long. Now most of my exposure has been with European knives with a full tang. Long term will these handles stay intact or secured to the knife?? I used epoxy just like Marks video's Any feedback on this. I hope I am in the right place with this if not, I am very sorry .
milkbaby

Re: Japanesse and Western style handles

Post by milkbaby »

As long as you're not swinging it like a machete against trees and you keep moisture from rusting the tang, you should be good to go.

Epoxy is usually pretty secure and when well done should keep the water out. Unfortunately, it also makes removal more difficult versus the burning in method and setting it with beeswax. If you want to remove the handle in the future, you may have some luck boiling the handle then knocking it off, but if not, you may need to destructively remove it.
slickmamba

Post by slickmamba »

I think as long as there are no bubbles and the tang is set correctly, the handle should hold up pretty well. You will be gripping it around the tang anyway, unless you're chopping holding from the end for some reason.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

The short answer is yes, long term the handles will stay intact and secure to the knife.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.