Itto-Ryu Hammered is no more?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
caerolle

Itto-Ryu Hammered is no more?

Post by caerolle »

I saw a mention in a recent forum post of Itto-Ryus being back in stock but more expensive than in the past, so I went and took a look. It looks to me like the ones for sale now are very different from the previous ones. The sides look smooth, the grind looks much lower, and I get the impression the spine is thicker, and the whole knife heavier. In fact, the name doesn't seem to include 'Hammered' anymore.

Am I mistaken that these are very different knives from before?

Carol :)

PS:

Links:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/itha210gy.html
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ithagy240.html

The new model appears to be far more curvy than the older ones, too. The 240 seems to not have any flat spot at all...very different knife...
Cutuu

Re: Itto-Ryu Hammered is no more?

Post by Cutuu »

caerolle wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:33 pm I saw a mention in a recent forum post of Itto-Ryus being back in stock but more expensive than in the past, so I went and took a look. It looks to me like the ones for sale now are very different from the previous ones. The sides look smooth, the grind looks much lower, and I get the impression the spine is thicker, and the whole knife heavier. In fact, the name doesn't seem to include 'Hammered' anymore.

Am I mistaken that these are very different knives from before?

PS:

Links:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/itha210gy.html
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ithagy240.html

The new model appears to be far more curvy than the older ones, too. The 240 seems to not have any flat spot at all...very different knife...
It seems like most people, including myself, seem to agree Carol. Maybe Mark or, perhaps, Steve might be able to comment on these. I'm curious if any members have taken the plunge on these. They aren't something I would take a chance on blindly, but perhaps they r awesome. I'm definitely curious in the results and the reason for the apparent changes.
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

Bummer. I was holding out for a hammered one to come back. Oh well....
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I think we can confidently say the Itto Ryu hammered is laid to rest. Different can be a good thing, though. This is a new knife from a maker with four or five more years of experience than his last batch of knives that hit CKTG.
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Lepus wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:10 pm I think we can confidently say the Itto Ryu hammered is laid to rest. Different can be a good thing, though. This is a new knife from a maker with four or five more years of experience than his last batch of knives that hit CKTG.
The thing that bothers me most is that the reviews from the old model are on the pages for the new model, including one from me. I worry that people might use those reviews to buy what is a very different knife. Probably will email CKtG about it.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

I thought maybe the choil shot looked Way thicker on the newer IR 240 too. Different can be good, but it also looks like it’s along the lines of the Ebuchi thickness. Very different knives from what I’ve hoped to try sometime. Oh well. That Yahiko hammered looks darn promising
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

They’re the same blacksmith. He simply offered me these and I decided to get them. Also, most of the price increase was because of complaints about the handles so we switched them. Finally, they’re not as crazy thin as before because I told them when I met with them how many customers were chipping them so they started to make them with a more conventional edge grind.

I didn’t want to delete the old pages because I have a bunch of the old ones on order still and if they do make them I’ll most likely change the pages back. It gets old looking at lots of out of stock pages.

I can delete the reviews but it’s very difficult. I have to go through my database manually and search for them by date and there are thousands and thousands of them.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

1 older one please!
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:41 am They’re the same blacksmith. He simply offered me these and I decided to get them. Also, most of the price increase was because of complaints about the handles so we switched them. Finally, they’re not as crazy thin as before because I told them when I met with them how many customers were chipping them so they started to make them with a more conventional edge grind.

I didn’t want to delete the old pages because I have a bunch of the old ones on order still and if they do make them I’ll most likely change the pages back. It gets old looking at lots of out of stock pages.

I can delete the reviews but it’s very difficult. I have to go through my database manually and search for them by date and there are thousands and thousands of them.
Yes, all makes sense, just seems it would have been cleaner to set up a new page for what seems to be a different model, like is done for all the other brands, even when it is a one-off thing. especially if you might be getting more of the older-style at some point. Just seems confusing given the historical context, but perhaps most people are not as OCD as I am, and won't be searching the forums for info. Of course, most of the posts on the Ittos are probably on the old forum anyhow. Maybe at the least make it more clear that you are selling very different models on the same page?

Really, the reviews are to help buyers, not for aggrandization of reviewers, so if you are ok with them not aligning with the knife being sold, that seems to be your call. I was just surprised, as while there have been small changes in the same model, I don't recall seeing such drastic changes within the same listing. :)

caerolle

Post by caerolle »

nevrknow wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:11 am 1 older one please!
I was fortunate enough to get a 210 from the first version, which supposedly the thinnest behind the edge. I also have a 240, which was made after the knives were supposedly left a bit thicker, but it seems pretty thin still, and is a very high performer for what I need. I hate to see these go away, but from a selfish perspective, I got mine, lol.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I haven't tried this before but the reviews are migrated from the database and I can see them on the item page. I'll try deleting them right there since that would be easy. I just don't know if they'll pop back up the next time I do a full publish of the page. If they don't reappear it would be a big help to make changes like this. Let's do the 210mm gyuto and see what happens.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Ok, that didn't work. I'll ask my review module designer if there is a solution.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:52 am Ok, that didn't work. I'll ask my review module designer if there is a solution.
Really, sounds like more trouble than it is worth. :)
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Caerolle,

You're coming to the party right? :)
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Mark have you tried the new itto-ryos? What do you think about them.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I would definitely list them under different names and have different product pages for them if not too terribly difficult. Could call one a Hammered and the other a KU or something along those lines. They are after all two totally different knives. Need to relist the new version on it's own page with no reviews and republish the old line with the reviews, if possible.
Like carol I don't think it's fair to the buyer that might make a purchase based reviews that's not related to the actual product.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

My review developer is going to give me a way to wipe reviews clean by item page. Should be ready in a couple days.

Update: He completed the task and I’ll be able to wipe item pages clean going forward. :)
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
gladius

Post by gladius »

Jeff B wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:03 pm I would definitely list them under different names and have different product pages for them if not too terribly difficult. Could call one a Hammered and the other a KU or something along those lines. They are after all two totally different knives. Need to relist the new version on it's own page with no reviews and republish the old line with the reviews, if possible.
Like carol I don't think it's fair to the buyer that might make a purchase based reviews that's not related to the actual product.
---
+1
Agreed, do not wipe out old reviews, list them as different knives since they are.
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

+2

Would prefer keeping the old reviews in the archives, and starting a new, distinct place for the new version. Hate to see the old information wiped and lost, because I love the ability to reference the reviews. But do not want it to be confused with the new knives, or run the risk of setting up buyers for expectations that might not be met. Very comfortable with the new versions having their own fresh place, and it seems the easiest to do from a web standpoint.

BTW I have the old version and, despite the fact that it almost cost me a fingertip, enjoy it. Worst knife mess-up and I will spare all of you the images... I am very interested in seeing the reviews of the new when they start to roll in.
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:04 pm Caerolle,

You're coming to the party right? :)
Hmmm, for some reason I stopped getting notifications, thought the thread was dead...

No, if I had the time and money I would love to come, but have other priorities for my limited amounts of both, sadly. :(