Shibata R2 vs AS?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
JoshuaSonOfNun

Shibata R2 vs AS?

Post by JoshuaSonOfNun »

Has anyone had experience between the Shibata R2 and AS knives?

I've only had expereince with AS with Masakage which I like quite a lot.

I like the gyuto profile but that only comes in AS for shibata.

Wonder what I would be missing out with the R2?
JohnT

Re: Shibata R2 vs AS?

Post by JohnT »

First...I need to buy an AS Shibata. Do not own. Have not used. Sad face. That said...own three of the R2's and they are stunning. With you in wanting to try out the steel. That said...the R2's are insane. Completely fantastic/balanced/feel...blah blah blah. Amazing knives.
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

I've used both and truth, steel differences / qualities aside, the performance of the grind is quite similar between them.

The biggest difference is the profile. The AS is definitely curvier than the R2 and lacking in any real flat spot. I'd base this mostly on profile preferences (outside of steel type) as the AS might be slightly thinner, but they're really quite close in grind and performance in use.

I've grown to appreciate the ktip in use more than I thought I would; as it is wider/taller (not any thicker though) behind the tip, which tends to aid in control with my guide hand/knuckles during quick and detailed tip work. That may be me and my skill set (or lack of maybe) though, ha.
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
JoshuaSonOfNun

Post by JoshuaSonOfNun »

Interesting!

I don't have a ktip and was thinking of getting one of those in R2 but I was interested in the curvier profile to chop herbs and the like.

My Masakage Shimo has a pretty decent flat spot.
ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

Ahh heck just get them both to try out and sell the one you don't like.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Butler is not on our payaroll. I swear! :)
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
datster

Post by datster »

ButlerHoosierChef wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:18 am Ahh heck just get them both to try out and sell the one you don't like.
This is my philosophy also, my problem is I seem to "forget" to sell the second one, LOL!

I'm not on Mark's payroll either, but sometimes my wallet fells like he might be on mine ..... Bwahahaha!
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

I’ve used both of his 240’s and I liked the AS version much better. I don’t know what it was about my time with the R2 ktip 240, but I didn’t like it. I think the AS performs much better. Most lasery knife I’ve used yet. Get it!!
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Uh, there is a Shibata R2 gyuto without the kiritsuke tip. It predates the AS.

www.chefknivestogo.com/shckex24gy.html
OgerBash

Post by OgerBash »

Is it ever coming back in stock? I've been waiting to buy a kashima for awhile.
Lepus wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:22 am Uh, there is a Shibata R2 gyuto without the kiritsuke tip. It predates the AS.

Lepus

Post by Lepus »

How long have you been waiting? Shiibata has been pretty good about supplying enough knives, but I could see that one slipping through the cracks.
OgerBash

Post by OgerBash »

I believe I put myself on the email list the beginning of January. I might have missed the alert.

I've been checking the page regularly since April for sure. I think I'll go try adding myself to the mail list again. Maybe I didn't add it correctly or did the wrong knife as I was adding a couple with list items to spend my tax refund on.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

The R2 is fully stainless, has somewhat better edge retention and is flatter. But if you prefer a more traditional profile, go with the AS version. Profile and steel will be similar Masakage, but the Shibata is thinner. A true laser, the best cutter I've ever used. I am hesitant to use it to cut crusty steak, but it will cut anything else just fine with good technique.
Jeffry B
delmar

Post by delmar »

For everything but rocking, the R2 Ktip is an exceptional knife. Damn thin but has decent release. Great profile for chopping and pulling. If push cutting, be mindful of that tip. Took a bit of an adjustment.

I honestly rock mine from time to time, but the pile has to be low and I have to pay close attention.
JoshuaSonOfNun

Post by JoshuaSonOfNun »

Lepus wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:22 am Uh, there is a Shibata R2 gyuto without the kiritsuke tip. It predates the AS.

Wow, looks very much like the Masamoto in profile!
delmar

Post by delmar »

and quite thin for a clad knife.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

I've only been into JK's for about four years and have about 15 knives in my stash, of which maybe 10? are gyutos. I got the knife that Lepus is referring to just over a year ago, when they first came out. As delmar says it is very thin mine is 2.05mm above the heel. Also Shibata's treatment of R2 is just superb - it takes a fantastic edge and keeps it for a long time.

I'm no knife skills guru, but it is the knife I compare all my other gyutos to and it still performs better than all my others. Can't comment on the Shibata AS though, because I haven't used one yet although I would expect it to really impressive as well.

There are extensive reviews of the Kashima here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2144
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Forgot about that one!
appleward91

Post by appleward91 »

OgerBash wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:02 am Is it ever coming back in stock? I've been waiting to buy a kashima for awhile.

My friend just told me literally today that he was looking go sell his 220mm Kashima custom handle at normal handle price(thats what he got it at). So if interested let me know.
OgerBash

Post by OgerBash »

Thanks for the offer. I need a bigger size. So I've been waiting on the 250mm to come back in stock.
appleward91 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:36 pm
OgerBash wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:02 am Is it ever coming back in stock? I've been waiting to buy a kashima for awhile.

My friend just told me literally today that he was looking go sell his 220mm Kashima custom handle at normal handle price(thats what he got it at). So if interested let me know.