Konosuke YS question

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Chefspence

Konosuke YS question

Post by Chefspence »

Is this by Yoshikane? It looks simular to the Yahiko nashiji, but with hammering marks. Any thoughts from you guys?
ButlerHoosierChef

Re: Konosuke YS question

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

I went over to Tosho and it says it is made by Yoshikane which I thought to be very interesting. Just was waiting for someone to bring it up before me!
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Chefspence wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:24 pm Is this by Yoshikane? It looks simular to the Yahiko nashiji, but with hammering marks. Any thoughts from you guys?
Is there any way to tell from looking at the kanji? Theres a picture of it here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6953
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

They r not going to come out and say it directly, (at least I don't think so), but all signs point to them being made by them. I would just assume they r, at this point and buy them or don't buy them based on that assumption. There are alot of pics and specs to work with and also KONO rep to consider.
Organized

Post by Organized »

I’m wondering if the Y stands for the famous Tsuneo Yoshida that retired several years ago. A swan song performance perhaps?
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Organized wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:45 pm I’m wondering if the Y stands for the famous Tsuneo Yoshida that retired several years ago. A swan song performance perhaps?
Y stands for Yoshikane. He's in the Sanjo area. Wish I could tell you more than that. Maybe others could?
gladius

Post by gladius »

Drewski wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:01 pm
Organized wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:45 pm I’m wondering if the Y stands for the famous Tsuneo Yoshida that retired several years ago. A swan song performance perhaps?
Y stands for Yoshikane. He's in the Sanjo area. Wish I could tell you more than that. Maybe others could?

Yoshikane is the name of the Yoshida family business.
Organized

Post by Organized »

Yes, and I’ve read that the letters indicate the smiths and sharpeners behind the lines not the brand line or anything like that.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Looks just like the other Yoshikane offerings on cktg, profile wise
ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

I agree Spence. Profile is like the Yahikos grind just reimagined in a different semi stainless steel like HD2.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Seems like there's a lot of different "Yoshikane" knives out there that range from inexpensive to not. Wish I had more information about the his knives.
Organized

Post by Organized »

Without a doubt the best knives under the Yoshikane brand were made before Yoshida San retired in 2013 and also were made by him. Today they’re still fine for what they are, bang for the buck sorta thing. But today we see a much different level of craftsmanship. The old Damascus v2 and wh2 knives were pretty amazing.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Organized wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:36 pm Without a doubt the best knives under the Yoshikane brand were made before Yoshida San retired in 2013 and also were made by him. Today they’re still fine for what they are, bang for the buck sorta thing. But today we see a much different level of craftsmanship. The old Damascus v2 and wh2 knives were pretty amazing.
Up until recently, he was moonlighting at a friend's shop down the street. Judging from my last delivery he's not working there anymore.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Organized

Post by Organized »

Well, knives don’t turn into gold because Yoshida placed his hands on them. His magnum opus remains.
That’s an interesting tidbit of information.