Matsubara Ginsan Damascus

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ButlerHoosierChef

Matsubara Ginsan Damascus

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

Anyone have any opinion on these? Thanks in advance!
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Re: Matsubara Ginsan Damascus

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

We just got them in so nobody owns one yet. I tried to knock off the handle on one to do a custom and I f@#$@#$ broke it. Apparently they use good glue.

He’s made big strides on the Damascus that he’s making. Last year when we got them they had gaps and these look much better. It’s nice and tall which I personally like very much. I haven’t cut with one yet.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Thin Man

Post by Thin Man »

Interesting profile. Looks like a Murray Carter.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

I like how the damascus pattern is different on each side
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Matsubara makes very interesting and distinctive knives that are a change of pace from many other Japanese hand-crafted knives. I reviewed several of them here.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6900

Ginsan is also a great steel. The best of the stainless steels in my view. Sharpens easily and gets a keen edge. Doesn't hold it as long as R2 and may not be best for pros, but it's great for home users. I just picked up the Kanehiro ginsan and it's stellar.
Jeffry B
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

I was studying on it and pulled the trigger. Guess I will find out when delivered on Monday.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Here’s a link known to the knife. Neat looking knife.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/magidagy21.html
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:45 am We just got them in so nobody owns one yet. I tried to knock off the handle on one to do a custom and I f@#$@#$ broke it. Apparently they use good glue.

He’s made big strides on the Damascus that he’s making. Last year when we got them they had gaps and these look much better. It’s nice and tall which I personally like very much. I haven’t cut with one yet.

That really sucks. I have admit though I’d like to have been a fly on the wall and watch your reaction Mark. I would have said enough bad words to get one way ticket to H@#@%.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Matsubara is one of those brands I've looked at many times but have yet to try. There are so many knives I want to get my hands on right now but have had to much chaos in my life this Spring and early Summer to try and get my hands on many. Have gotten some real nice offers from a few to do some swaps and I hope to start taking some of them up on them real soon!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
delmar

Post by delmar »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:45 am We just got them in so nobody owns one yet. I tried to knock off the handle on one to do a custom and I f@#$@#$ broke it. Apparently they use good glue.

This is good to hear. The one I got last year had some rough spots in the cladding. Everything else was NICE and it pained me to return it (props as always to Mark for standing by the product he sells). I am now tempted again... FYI - Not sure how the new batch is looking, but the one I had was thick (4.0+ mm) at the spine above heel.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Wow this looks like one of those "We should do a pass a round knife"

I enjoyed the first one we had and just havent had any experience with ginsan.

Anyone interested in a Jbart type pass a round on this one?
easilver

Post by easilver »

Bob Z wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:27 pm Anyone interested in a Jbart type pass a round on this one?
I am!
Ed in L.A.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Looking at the profile of the ginsan and the Matsubara Ed hosted on a passaround, these two knives should be very close in performance. I thought about a passaround but dropped the idea after looking at the profiles. I am still interested in this knife, though, because I want a 210 that can rock, chop and push and I love ginsan steel. This one would fit the bill.

Bob, ginsan feels and cuts much like shirogami. Maybe not quite as keen but darn close.
Jeffry B
easilver

Post by easilver »

Jeffry--the tip looks a little lower on this one, which was my only hesitation on the B#2 210.

Bob--I have the sukenari ginsan and it is a superb steel when it is heat-treated well. I've heard it can feel "gummy" when done poorly at lower hardness.
Ed in L.A.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Do you have the parts? I have access to a welder. I am asking for personal use, not to flip it. I am posting here for the sake of transparency of this ever made it into my hands.
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

I actually do have one, they're a little beefier than im used to but it performs ok. Great food seperation, handy profile. I sent it to ken to thin a bit and its a great cutter now.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

How much does yours weigh, raleigh? The 210 just listed doesn't seem beefy based on the choil shot.
Jeffry B
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

Finally got mine in. Love the looks but my copy was a lil lacking in the handle dept. No big deal for me since I make handles ( for every knife I own :) )

Looks like it wasn't installed all the way in or they missed finishing the "machi" grinding.

Then the glue was messy to say the least.

F&F was acceptable only slightly missed one side on the choil. Again, easy fix for me. After a new handle I will be happy with it.

Mark? Did you try freezing the epoxy first? Worked for me before and after the Takeda announcement I'm really going to save these rosewood handles.

Pics:

raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

jbart65 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:22 am How much does yours weigh, raleigh? The 210 just listed doesn't seem beefy based on the choil shot.
Unfortunately I don't have a scale handy. It was a bit thick behind the edge, needed some love initially. I sent it to Ken and he made it shine, but I had to lose some of that demascus finish.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Anyone else try or buy this? Thinking about picking one up or hosting a pass around.
Jeffry B