How NOT to ship a knife!

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
mauichef

How NOT to ship a knife!

Post by mauichef »

Following on from my recent shipping adventures......and for anyone about to sell or buy a knife on a forum.

How NOT to ship a knife!...Here is how the knife that arrived today was shipped. Amazing it survived after its inter island jaunt.

Padded envelope. No box. Just one layer of bubble wrap. No insurance. Basic parcel post shipping.
Jammed so far into the saya I had to prize it out.

Awesome knife though :D

Kit Craft

Re: How NOT to ship a knife!

Post by Kit Craft »

Ray, I have had knives come direct from Japan that were in the standard knife box with one layer of bubble wrap and in an ems envelope. It has made me cringe but I have been lucky so far. At the same time I have had very well packed knives show up in very, very crushed and I thought to myself how glad I was that the knife was packaged well!

Anyway, glad that knife showed up okay. Sorry to hear about the other getting lost though.
salemj

Post by salemj »

That's just disrespectful to the product, period. I've learned that less can be more in terms of packaging (the idea is to absorb all energy, not transfer it, so overpacking/stuff can be really bad), but this kind of BS is just insane.

I guess you're reserving shots of the knife for the "Show us" page??? Haha.

Ray, you're on a roll. I'm curious what the overall vision is for your collection. I feel like you always have one, but you seem to be much more actively pursuing a particular goal these last several months...:)
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

salemj wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:05 pm That's just disrespectful to the product, period. I've learned that less can be more in terms of packaging (the idea is to absorb all energy, not transfer it, so overpacking/stuff can be really bad), but this kind of BS is just insane.

Ray, you're on a roll. I'm curious what the overall vision is for your collection. I feel like you always have one, but you seem to be much more actively pursuing a particular goal these last several months...:)
Joe. That is the exact word that came to my mind. Disrespectful.

Yes I will shoot some pics tomorrow.

I have to think about the vision thing for a bit!
Maybe from your vantage point you can see one. But I'm not consciously aware of a vision per se, as much as my tastes becoming more focussed and refined.
I would love to hear what you are seeing develop from your vantage point :)
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Kit Craft wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:57 pm Ray, I have had knives come direct from Japan that were in the standard knife box with one layer of bubble wrap and in an ems envelope. It has made me cringe but I have been lucky so far. At the same time I have had very well packed knives show up in very, very crushed and I thought to myself how glad I was that the knife was packaged well!

Anyway, glad that knife showed up okay. Sorry to hear about the other getting lost though.
Thanks buddy!
It was lucky. But as you said, It's not always down to the packing.
Just received a few cook books and some food from Amazon that were put in a thin walled box with no packing at all. The very heavy books crushed my cans of Heinz Baked Beans :(
Those bastards!!!!! Now what will I have for breakfast with my eggs, kidneys, sausage, bacon and fried bread?????
The books didn't look so good either :roll:
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Nothing people do seems to surprise me anymore.....
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Geeeez, ridiculous. Pm me who you got it from so I'm aware, if I were to deal with him/her ;)
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

Agreed: Sellers like that should be outed. As bad as getting stones in nothing more than a shoebox. Disrespect for the buyer is exactly what I said when I got burned. Well, until I got my $$ back. I felt no remorse whatsoever for the seller.
Runner_up

Post by Runner_up »

It is what it is, and at least the knife is ok. But I wouldn't be thrilled to receive a knife shipped like that.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Runner_up wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:28 pm It is what it is, and at least the knife is ok. But I wouldn't be thrilled to receive a knife shipped like that.
Heartily agree.
It was a bummer but it was not A BUMMER!
The seller was very sorry. I was very happy to receive his beautiful offering.
All good in the 'hood!
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

It wasn't us! hahahahaha
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I remember getting a 311 mm Takeda sujihiki. The tip was broken off and STICKING OUT OF THE BOX! Fortunately it didn't cut the postman - or me. I became a 307 mm after redoing the tip.

Sometimes the packaging amazes me ...

---
Ken
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

salemj wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:05 pm

Here you go buddy!
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

mauichef wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:39 pm
salemj wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:05 pm

Here you go buddy!
What the heck! I would if been so pissed if that one got messed up! Ironically, I just received my Kato that was picked with alot of care slightly tipped :(
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Cutuu wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:43 pm What the heck! I would if been so pissed if that one got messed up! Ironically, I just received my Kato that was picked with alot of care slightly tipped :(
Ramon...that sucks :x
So sorry bro'!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I've received a few knives between buys and pass arounds with the tip sticking through the package. :?
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

This is a good thread. Its just basic common sense to package whatever you sell to the best of your ability, take a little extra time, just a minute or two more makes difference. THEN, insure the damn thing. Packages that are insured seem to reach their destiny in a much higher percentage than uninsured. And insured atleast has a claim to fall back on if something goes missing or is damaged.

I feel little hypocritical because I sent Ray some stones and the 3k wasn’t fully dried out. He received the stones and handled it with grace but the box was trashed. So, I told him if the Stone was trashed I’d refund him the money. Luckily Ken offered some guidance and it turned out ok but I would have made it right. My point? Stand behind what you sell, your name and reputation is worth the effort.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”