Knives and watches

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
salemj

Re: Knives and watches

Post by salemj »

t3chi3 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:47 amIMG_0834.jpg
Man, I'm a sucker for a classic IWC like that. Probably my dream watch brand...if I had bigger wrists! Nice collection.

If I get tenure, I'll probably buy my first automatic (my primary research was in Basel, Switzerland for 14 months and I looked in watch windows every day at lunch, so it seems appropriate). This thread is giving me some new inspiration...no money and no justification to go there just yet, though. I will take some pics soon of my two (very mundane) watches, however, as I like them well enough and they serve me well.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
salemj

Post by salemj »

OK, I couldn't help myself. I dove right in with my basic fare, even with no natural light and a handheld camera...

Basic Seiko. I replaced the metal band with a cheap off-brand leather strap. The band, watch face, and brushed-stainless bezel seemed to go with the very dark tones and brushed finish on the Nubatama well.

Wenger Swiss Army. Great watch. This has been with me on lots of travels, underwater, and high on mountains. I've never had a single issue with it and it keeps great time. The stainless case and partially worn bezel numbers matched well with my stainless Konosuke ginsan with worn stamped kanji.

I know almost nothing about this watch. It is an inherited item from a previous generation beyond my parents. The pictures don't do it justice: it has rosegold inlay, both sides are carved (with different images), and the face is actually quite nice. Regardless, the tone and "age" matched perfectly with my Bloodroot, even if the pictures don't quite live up to the match in person.

~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
snipes

Post by snipes »

Thanks for sharing salem. That's quite the drool worthy collection of knives you have there. I see you are a chronograph guy. I've recently come to the decision that I'd like to add a chrono to my collection as a next watch. I've gone back and forth over it for years and came to the conclusion I'd take advantage of the extra complications as I prefer extra functionality in my watches. That's one of the reasons why I'm strongly in the date complication camp. As an aside my preferred way to time many of my meals is by the bezel on my diver watch.

My first expensive watch was a Swiss Army. I bought it the summer after my freshman year in college with my pool cleaning $$. I paid the then princely sum of $300 for it. Great watch and one I wore daily from age 19 to 34 before retiring it for the Seamaster I shared earlier in this thread. I then gifted it to my son. That Seiko is a fine looking watch as well.

I'm going to try and get some more up today. I have an IWC as well that I'll share...
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

salemj wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:13 am
t3chi3 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:47 amIMG_0834.jpg
Man, I'm a sucker for a classic IWC like that. Probably my dream watch brand...if I had bigger wrists! Nice collection.

If I get tenure, I'll probably buy my first automatic (my primary research was in Basel, Switzerland for 14 months and I looked in watch windows every day at lunch, so it seems appropriate). This thread is giving me some new inspiration...no money and no justification to go there just yet, though. I will take some pics soon of my two (very mundane) watches, however, as I like them well enough and they serve me well.
I also love IWC stuff - have both a mark XIV and XV spitfires and a couple of their moon phase watches (the moon phases were my dads - have a blue and white faced models). But my old breitling has been on my wrist for 20 years - that and Jen's Cartier tank are the daily drivers.
salemj

Post by salemj »

snipes wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:36 am Thanks for sharing salem. That's quite the drool worthy collection of knives you have there. I see you are a chronograph guy. I've recently come to the decision that I'd like to add a chrono to my collection as a next watch. I've gone back and forth over it for years and came to the conclusion I'd take advantage of the extra complications as I prefer extra functionality in my watches. That's one of the reasons why I'm strongly in the date complication camp. As an aside my preferred way to time many of my meals is by the bezel on my diver watch.

My first expensive watch was a Swiss Army. I bought it the summer after my freshman year in college with my pool cleaning $$. I paid the then princely sum of $300 for it. Great watch and one I wore daily from age 19 to 34 before retiring it for the Seamaster I shared earlier in this thread. I then gifted it to my son. That Seiko is a fine looking watch as well.

I'm going to try and get some more up today. I have an IWC as well that I'll share...
Thanks for the comments, snipes. It was only after I took the photos that I realized I used my most expensive knives...not sure if that means they have the most character or what, but it definitely wasn't on purpose other than thinking of what would pair well with the watches in terms of color and finish. I was definitely a chronograph guy, but if I buy an automatic, I'll probably not go that direction (they get thick and heavy at that point, and my wrists are too small for such watches, especially when I want to use a piano). As for using the rotating bezel: I do exactly the same thing, especially when I'm in someone else's kitchen (and therefore away from my own oven or microwave timer). I always liked the look of the chronograph, but they work less well for keeping track of something you're not paying direct attention to at a quick glance than a massive bezel, which is probably why diver's watches privilege those bezels in the first place!
~J

t3chi3

Post by t3chi3 »

Regarding the IWC. I got it as a gift 13 years ago and I actually put it on eBay and was shocked to get offers over $3500, which is more than my wife paid. In the end I didn't have the heart to sell it but I now know these watches are a great investment.

Nice watches yourself. The pocket watch in my photo is also an Elgin and has a moving train carved into the rear. It was the retirement gift to my great grandfather, who worked on the Grand Central railroad as a conductor all of his life.

[/quote]

I also love IWC stuff - have both a mark XIV and XV spitfires and a couple of their moon phase watches (the moon phases were my dads - have a blue and white faced models). But my old breitling has been on my wrist for 20 years - that and Jen's Cartier tank are the daily drivers.
[/quote]
t3chi3

Post by t3chi3 »

salemj wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:05 am
snipes wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:36 am Thanks for sharing salem. That's quite the drool worthy collection of knives you have there. I see you are a chronograph guy. I've recently come to the decision that I'd like to add a chrono to my collection as a next watch. I've gone back and forth over it for years and came to the conclusion I'd take advantage of the extra complications as I prefer extra functionality in my watches. That's one of the reasons why I'm strongly in the date complication camp. As an aside my preferred way to time many of my meals is by the bezel on my diver watch.

Thanks for the comments, snipes. It was only after I took the photos that I realized I used my most expensive knives...not sure if that means they have the most character or what, but it definitely wasn't on purpose other than thinking of what would pair well with the watches in terms of color and finish. I was definitely a chronograph guy, but if I buy an automatic, I'll probably not go that direction (they get thick and heavy at that point, and my wrists are too small for such watches, especially when I want to use a piano). As for using the rotating bezel: I do exactly the same thing, especially when I'm in someone else's kitchen (and therefore away from my own oven or microwave timer). I always liked the look of the chronograph, but they work less well for keeping track of something you're not paying direct attention to at a quick glance than a massive bezel, which is probably why diver's watches privilege those bezels in the first place!
My wrists also aren't large and I really feel that IWC when I wear it, which is rare since I "borrowed" my wife's Rolex. The Rolex is light as a feather on my wrist.
snipes

Post by snipes »

Here is my current love, the IWC Portuguese 7 Day. I was trying to take advantage of the ambient light coming in through the window, but it wasn't cooperating. She's absolutely stunning in person. The blue hands and indices along with the champagne dial are mesmerizing in the sunlight. Just a perfectly balanced watch. Went with the 210 T-F Maboroshi with a custom Carter handle to pair with the tan crocodile strap.

mauichef

Post by mauichef »

snipes wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:58 pm Here is my current love, the IWC Portuguese 7 Day. I was trying to take advantage of the ambient light coming in through the window, but it wasn't cooperating. She's absolutely stunning in person. The blue hands and indices along with the champagne dial are mesmerizing in the sunlight. Just a perfectly balanced watch. Went with the 210 T-F Maboroshi with a custom Carter handle to pair with the tan crocodile strap.
Damn Brad...that is a beauty...both of them!
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

salemj wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:24 am OK, I couldn't help myself. I dove right in with my basic fare, even with no natural light and a handheld camera...

Basic Seiko. I replaced the metal band with a cheap off-brand leather strap. The band, watch face, and brushed-stainless bezel seemed to go with the very dark tones and brushed finish on the Nubatama well.

Wenger Swiss Army. Great watch. This has been with me on lots of travels, underwater, and high on mountains. I've never had a single issue with it and it keeps great time. The stainless case and partially worn bezel numbers matched well with my stainless Konosuke ginsan with worn stamped kanji.

I know almost nothing about this watch. It is an inherited item from a previous generation beyond my parents. The pictures don't do it justice: it has rosegold inlay, both sides are carved (with different images), and the face is actually quite nice. Regardless, the tone and "age" matched perfectly with my Bloodroot, even if the pictures don't quite live up to the match in person.

Nicely done, great pics and write up!
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
salemj

Post by salemj »

^^^Thanks!! I appreciate it!
snipes wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:58 pm Here is my current love, the IWC Portuguese 7 Day. I was trying to take advantage of the ambient light coming in through the window, but it wasn't cooperating. She's absolutely stunning in person. The blue hands and indices along with the champagne dial are mesmerizing in the sunlight. Just a perfectly balanced watch. Went with the 210 T-F Maboroshi with a custom Carter handle to pair with the tan crocodile strap.
Very nice. I have to admit my eyes were first drawn to the knife, not the watch! I don't know if it is a lighting effect or what, but the knife looks like it has a strong "grey" patina or something, which is just not possible! It is mesmerizing.

The watch, too, is a beauty. It has that particular IWC balance that I find so attractive: it isn't about a particular or overly distinct "style" so much as it is about how it all comes together in a kind of calm harmony with just a touch of haughty self-assuredness (oh so Swiss at heart!).
~J

MrChen

Post by MrChen »

Interesting thread. Knife and watch collectors do have something in common.
Talking about work horses, not many watches can beat a Panerai. Sea diving, sky diving, the Canadian cold and the Mexico hot... he’s been my buddy!
Talking about work horses, Kato gyutos holds a great edge and balances. The old old nata with a little wood hammer can go through camp woods like there isn’t a tomorrow.

Enjoy.
29967FD5-D65C-4132-AA40-E67231776205.jpeg
snipes

Post by snipes »

MrChen wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:10 pm Interesting thread. Knife and watch collectors do have something in common.
Talking about work horses, not many watches can beat a Panerai. Sea diving, sky diving, the Canadian cold and the Mexico hot... he’s been my buddy!
Talking about work horses, Kato gyutos holds a great edge and balances. The old old nata with a little wood hammer can go through camp woods like there isn’t a tomorrow.

Enjoy.

I've been meaning to respond to your post. First of all, nice Panerai. I have several friends who are very fond of theirs. I have to say what i can't stop thinking about is your comment about a Kato woods knife. Am I understanding your post correctly that one of the blades in the picture is stout enough to be used to process (baton) wood for camping? I'd LOVE to hear more about that. I have a Barkriver that I use for similar tasks.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

MrChen wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:10 pm Interesting thread. Knife and watch collectors do have something in common.

Enjoy.

Nice!!
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
MrChen

Post by MrChen »

snipes wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:25 am

Enjoy.

I've been meaning to respond to your post. First of all, nice Panerai. I have several friends who are very fond of theirs. I have to say what i can't stop thinking about is your comment about a Kato woods knife. Am I understanding your post correctly that one of the blades in the picture is stout enough to be used to process (baton) wood for camping? I'd LOVE to hear more about that. I have a Barkriver that I use for similar tasks.
It’s technically a hatchet. It’s deceptive in its knife “form”
Please don’t think of it as a knife. Extreamly heavy.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Pulled out my Doi 240 for dinner, love this knife. Paired up with a Hamilton Khaki.

ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I love this thread. :)

I almost bought a Breitling about a decade ago when I was on vacation. I love their aviation branding schtick.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:00 am I love this thread. :)

I almost bought a Breitling about a decade ago when I was on vacation. I love their aviation branding schtick.
Being in aerospace, I were breitlings for the most part. Usually a blue SuperOcean or my green faced colt. Get one - tough little critters, they hold their value, and they are cheaper to clean than many (about $500 versus $1200 for my IWC moon phase jobs).
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Mcdowell time Del Ray, Choice Cuts strap, Alex Horn/Muteki integral chef.
Runner_up

Post by Runner_up »

Tanaka blue Gyutos and Rolex GMT-Master reference 16753.