Ordering direct from T-F

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Bluenoser87

Ordering direct from T-F

Post by Bluenoser87 »

I’m starting to think a bit about picking up a fujiwara. I’m curious to hear about the experience from anyone who’s ordered direct. How is import/duty handled if shipped to the US? Any other costs or anything I’m missing? I understand fit and finish can be a bit of a crapshoot.

Alternatively, someone may be able to pick one up in Tokyo for me in person in the near future, but that’s a little more complicated...
inzite

Re: Ordering direct from T-F

Post by inzite »

in person by someone who knows how to pick is best choice.
J david

Post by J david »

Fit and finish, grind, over all quality (bends, twists, etc.) are a crapshoot when ordering direct. Best to order through a trusted vendor with a good return policy. Sadly, CKTG, is no longer a vendor due to excessive customer complaints (as I understand it, Mark made everyone happy, but chose to no longer carry the line).

It is tempting to order direct, but the general wisdom is to have a trusted vendor sort it out for you. They can be very rewarding or be tremendously disappointing depending on what you end up with. I have had the good fortune to end up with a couple of good ones.
ashy2classy

Post by ashy2classy »

I'm a bad example because I started a bitch fest on another forum because my most recent order was bent but was told it was normal. Returned for a refund but was mad it was sent in the first place.

However, I received 5 good knives from them before this so it's not all bad. My advice, if you're gonna go for a pricier model (e.g. Maboroshi or Denka) definitely ask for pictures of every angle to see if things look good. Not a full proof plan but it's better than assuming everything is correct. Premiums from other vendors are really high so I have a hard time going that route, but it's the best option if you want good customer service and easier returns should you need them.

Free shipping and no duties from TF so that's a plus.

Good luck!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I ordered two Nashiji Gyutos direct and was happy with both but that was also back in '14, seemed to be fewer complaints back then. It did save me $300 between the two knives as opposed to buying from a vendor.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
salemj

Post by salemj »

I ordered direct. It was a very nice experience but the resultant knife was not quite to spec. While he provided pictures, weight, etc., I was pretty darn clear in the type of knife, style, and weight that I wanted, and the reality was that he spent extra time by hand on the knife and it still ended up quite a ways from what I requested and with a slight overgrind that I could not have seen in the pictures. At that point, I didn't know how to ask for a different knife without really offending him, and that is something I care about personally.

Import duties were negligible given the savings.

Point is, I could have probably asked for a different knife based on the pictures, yada yada, so I wouldn't say it was bad service or anything. In fact, the package I received was exquisitely wrapped in gift paper, included a very personal note, and a nice towel, etc. It was clearly a knife he was proud of, even if it was so obvious to me that it wasn't quite what I asked for.

So, what I WOULD say is that T-F just doesn't have an eye for certain things, and no matter what you ask for, unless it is something he is used to paying attention to, I wouldn't expect him to correctly interpret your request as a complete package. (For example, despite spending lots of time and attention to detail on the blade road and being clearly proud of the customization, I received a knife with handle scales that were wildly rough and unfinished at the bolster that simply would never have been missed by someone who has an eye for finishing detail or quality inspection.) My experience is that he makes some wicked, wonderful blades, and that the best way to find these blades is in a local shop or used, from a trustworthy seller. Even then, I have tried blades in shops where I immediately identified an overgrind, and the seller immediately agreed with me and suggested that they could try to sharpen it or correct it to make the sale—and that was after these knives were already hand-picked by their Japan suppliers to be the best of the bunch. There are just so many variables with his knives. Otherwise, he seems to make blades thick or thin, heavy or light, based on his steel stock, so unless the knife just happens to turn out to spec, it is best to choose a totally different one rather than to ask him to tweak it (which is easy to do in store, and a bit more awkward to do over email).

So, if you're sensitive to detail, I'd avoid buying sight unseen. However, if you are less detail oriented and are just looking for sheer performance, I think ordering direct and asking for a few custom details will ensure that your knife is at least personally screened by T-F, which means it won't have "major" issues.

I spent a good deal of time working on my knife myself. It is a magnificent knife, really. But it will never be the knife I actually wanted from him. I tried selling it recently and there were no bites, which surprised me only a little. The truth is, he makes a great knife when things come together properly, and a unique one at that. He remains a maker of repute to me, but I think he has become a little less esteemed given the competition these days. It is just often the case that for things to come together properly, someone else has to step in and polish things off a little bit, whether it be a supplier in Japan, or the second supplier in North America, or the home user, and that doesn't help his reputation when so many other makers continue to refine their products more and more every year.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

inzite wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:19 pm in person by someone who knows how to pick is best choice.
Probably the best bet I guess.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I read through some of the older threads discussing this too. Seems like pretty wildly different opinions and experiences. I just noticed Bernal carries these in San Francisco. I’m reasonably close by so maybe I’ll go check a few out in person before pulling the trigger on anything. There certainly seems to be a big premium on these at US retailers...
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:18 am ...There certainly seems to be a big premium on these at US retailers...
Yes there is which was enough for me to take a chance by ordering direct. I got two knives for less than the price of one from a US retailer.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Corradobrit

Post by Corradobrit »

The 240 Maboroshi from Bernal isn't that much more expensive than direct. About $85 difference. The photos appear to show there has been work on the blades so that should give the buyer more confidence that the F&F and grind are a little more optimized.
That said I've bought 5 knives direct from TF in Japan (2 Nashiji 210, a 120 Maboroshi Ku Petty, a 210 Denka with Yo Ebony handle and 'tou cou' marks and a 180 Denka). I requested numerous photos of possible candidates along with detailed specs of each blade. I've been happy with all the knives I received and even the 210 Denka which was reprofiled to be thinner behind the edge by TF himself was better than I anticipated. The edge, being so fine, was a little toothy at the beginning, probably because the sharpening is done on a water wheel rather than flat stones, but with some time on the stones has been stable. Its perfectly balanced and significantly lighter (~40-50g) than all the other 210's i was offered. This one's a keeper.
Packaging was exceptional, the personalized note a nice touch (something JKI provides) and certainly adds to the customer experience.
Lufty13

Post by Lufty13 »

I ordered a Denka a couple of weeks ago. The ordering experience was wonderful, everything was smooth and personable. When the blade was ready to be shipped I was sent photos of it and it looked gorgeous. I ordered without a handle and am having it shipped directly to a custom handle maker. I can't comment on the blade itself, but the process has been very easy and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival.
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Lufty13 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:08 pm I ordered a Denka a couple of weeks ago. The ordering experience was wonderful, everything was smooth and personable. When the blade was ready to be shipped I was sent photos of it and it looked gorgeous. I ordered without a handle and am having it shipped directly to a custom handle maker. I can't comment on the blade itself, but the process has been very easy and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival.
Yeah I saw the pics in the new knife thread. Looks pretty solid!

I was kind of watching the nashiji jbart had for sale in the classifieds but I think I’m after a Maboroshi. The Denkas look nice but that big jump in price is a bit hard to justify for me...
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

I ended up picking up a Kono MM instead. Not the same thing I know. Details do bother me, probably a lot more than they should, so it seems like the Kono is a better fit. If I find myself in SF (or Japan for that matter) I’ll definitely find an excuse to check them out. For now, I think I’ll shelve this idea.
Lufty13

Post by Lufty13 »

I don't think you can go wrong with a Kono, regardless. Enjoy your new knife.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

A little off topic, but this thread did inspire me to action. A while back I signed up for email alerts on a Gesshin Heiji thinking I would fully consider the purchase when they came back in stock. When they did recently stock I did a little homework. I don’t think anyone else in the US sells Nakaya Heiji knives under the Heiji name, but the shop does sell direct. They’re back ordered, but I should have my Heiji gyuto in about five months. Unlike TF, I don’t think anyone speaks much English at Heiji, but they were very pleasant to work with regardless and I look forward to seeing what they send me. If I like the gyuto I might order a short yanagiba from them, too. It will be fun using it beside my Shigefusa knowing they are somewhat related, even though I ordered the semi-stainless and not the carbon that Heiji and Shigefusa have carried on from Iwasaki.
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

I did end up going to check these out at Bernal. It’s a nice little shop. I get all the comments about T-F knives now though. There’s definitely some wonkiness to them, wavy grinds, abrupt changes in the edge profile, etc. Regardless of how wonderful the steel is, they seem way too expensive and unfinished. Not bad necessarily, just nothing obviously special aside from the heat treat to warrant the price I guess. Just not my thing. On to the next thing to obsess over I guess...
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:15 pm I did end up going to check these out at Bernal. It’s a nice little shop. I get all the comments about T-F knives now though. There’s definitely some wonkiness to them, wavy grinds, abrupt changes in the edge profile, etc. Regardless of how wonderful the steel is, they seem way too expensive and unfinished. Not bad necessarily, just nothing obviously special aside from the heat treat to warrant the price I guess. Just not my thing. On to the next thing to obsess over I guess...
If you ever get out to Livermore let me know as I have a T-F 240 Nashiji Gyuto and a 150 Nashiji Petty that you can try. The Gyuto is a very heavy knife but the petty is perfect and I also have the 150 Kono GS and the 150 Toyama pettys for comparison.
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

jacko9 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:47 pm
If you ever get out to Livermore let me know as I have a T-F 240 Nashiji Gyuto and a 150 Nashiji Petty that you can try. The Gyuto is a very heavy knife but the petty is perfect and I also have the 150 Kono GS and the 150 Toyama pettys for comparison.
Thanks for the offer. I don’t find myself out that way very often but I’ll definitely keep that in mind if I do. Thanks!
gladius

Post by gladius »

Usually knives known to be inconsistent with distributors are that way buying direct and are a gamble. I had a 210mm TF that felt unfinished: wavy grind, a bit thick and not quite up to par with the rest. The others: 240mm gyuto, nakiri, 150mm petty and 210mm Denka gyuto are all excellent examples.
Lepus wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:44 pm A little off topic, but this thread did inspire me to action. A while back I signed up for email alerts on a Gesshin Heiji thinking I would fully consider the purchase when they came back in stock. When they did recently stock I did a little homework. I don’t think anyone else in the US sells Nakaya Heiji knives under the Heiji name, but the shop does sell direct. They’re back ordered, but I should have my Heiji gyuto in about five months. Unlike TF, I don’t think anyone speaks much English at Heiji, but they were very pleasant to work with regardless and I look forward to seeing what they send me. If I like the gyuto I might order a short yanagiba from them, too. It will be fun using it beside my Shigefusa knowing they are somewhat related, even though I ordered the semi-stainless and not the carbon that Heiji and Shigefusa have carried on from Iwasaki.
Hejii is very consistent and a powerful knife, typical of Sanjo makers. I think you might like them. I've got a carbon 233mm gyuto (Japan) and a semi-stainless 215mm sujihiki (JKI) that are a great combo with good performance and great food separation and release. The two steels are very similar in feel on the stones and get equally sharp relatively easy. They both are minimally reactive too. The 210mm suji is a very handy knife for all tasks (think line knife) - today I slain a watermelon.

faverodefavero

Post by faverodefavero »

Don't recommend Teruyasu Fujiwara unless you're willing to keep e-mailing them every three days reminding them exactly how you want your custom knife. They really don't do well on anything but forging and heat treatment (geometry, profile and fit & finish are all generally terrible).
faverodefavero

Post by faverodefavero »

Nakaya Heiji is great.