This is a shun killer

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
CacahuateSommelier

This is a shun killer

Post by CacahuateSommelier »

This knife seems to cross off all the mass produced knife (shun, miyabi) check marks but appears to be lighter and have better grinds.... way to go Mark! And that $.... a shun killer!
C2CB84D7-206E-4140-BB33-5584C9ED2673.png
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/oevggy21.html
Last edited by CacahuateSommelier on Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seattle_Ben

Re: This is a shun killer

Post by Seattle_Ben »

I've been looking at this to give to my mom. It's a handsome fellow.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

There are a lot of nice knives out there you could call a Shun killer but it's not going to happen. The Shun is too ingrained into the general public now. It's the best knife that most are aware of next to Euro stuff and can easily get at the nearest BB&B.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
CacahuateSommelier

Jeff B wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:51 pm There are a lot of nice knives out there you could call a Shun killer but it's not going to happen. The Shun is too ingrained into the general public now. It's the best knife that most are aware of next to Euro stuff and can easily get at the nearest BB&B.
I’m not saying it’s gonna put the brand out of business.... because we know Kershaw is not going out of business LOL

I’m saying that for someone looking to transition from Shun this is an awesome knife to consider… It’s the same steel they are familiar wit & with the flashy looks but upgraded to everything you should expect from a true Japanese knife

Hard to find a shun that doesn’t have a ton of belly and nice thin grinds
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Korin has been around for a long time and has never made it a point to try to get anyone's stuff out of business. To do that, a knife maker/blacksmith would have to go into mass production. We (most of those on this site) buy handmade items that cannot and should not be produced on a mass scale. Kind of like most people buy a Honda for $40K (kid in my office did just that this week) and for the same money I can have a Lotus.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

CacahuateSommelier wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:21 pm This knife seems to cross off all the mass produced knife (shun, miyabi) check marks but appears to be lighter and have better grinds.... way to go Mark! And that $.... a shun killer!

C2CB84D7-206E-4140-BB33-5584C9ED2673.png

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/oevggy21.html
Yeah it should be a big selling knife going forward. I got some westerns too.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
mdl130

Post by mdl130 »

There are so many knives on this site that could be considered "shun killers". Mark has done a great job at bringing in good knifes at this price point and below that are much better than Shun. Off the top of my head: Kanehide PS60, Takamura VG10 hammered, various Sakai damascus hammered, Takamura Chromax, Kohetsu SLD or Matsutani.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Nice to see that Shun hate is still alive and well on this forum :(
It seems like some kind of badge. Because there its no logic or factual basis to back up this focussed hate.
Plus...why are they Shun killers. Not Miyabi killers or whatever???
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

mauichef wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:33 pm Nice to see that Shun hate is still alive and well on this forum :(
I can't say that I'm a Shun hater. I just think there are as good or better knives to be had at a much better deal. I think Shun is over priced for a mass produced product.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
fuzion

Post by fuzion »

Because shuns are so popular it's not that difficult to find one that's heavily discounted. If you can find ones at half the MSRP, they aren't too bad for the price.
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

I'm not fond of Shun. I'm unimpressed with the feel in hand, admittedly a subjective thing; I feel like there is a prioritization of aesthetic over function, also somewhat subjective; and part of that design ethos makes choices I don't like, namely the bolster/wa handle, entirely subjective; on top of all that, I generally shun, pun intended, anything as popular as Shun and especially anything pushed by major retailers.

That said I do not hate Shun, I'm just not moved by 'em.

That said again, the very reasons I don't like them is probably their greatest strength in the market. Since what exactly makes a knife special is kinda esoteric, many discerning consumers are looking for something widely regarded as being high in quality. The precludes looking too hard for an alternative. This is probably the biggest reason there will not be a Shun killer, you would have to supplant the market position, not just match the intrinsic qualities of their cutlery.

Moreover, there have been dozens of would be Shun killers. One the first such knives I remember was the Goko damascus laser. That was a lot of knife for the money. Being able to compete on quality, aesthetics, and price with Shun is not that impressive an accomplishment which I think is a tribute to the underlying quality of JKs in general and CKTG's success in bringing them to market (PM me for the address to send my check, Mark ;))

...but that's just, like, my opinion. Man.
CacahuateSommelier

mauichef wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:33 pm Nice to see that Shun hate is still alive and well on this forum :(
It seems like some kind of badge. Because there its no logic or factual basis to back up this focussed hate.
Plus...why are they Shun killers. Not Miyabi killers or whatever???
No hate..... they are the leader in the category.....like caymus or silver oak are to high end california Cabernets .....they are a good goal/ reference point to aim at in transitioning customers IMHO.... as a person who has owned over $4k in different shun & miyabi products I can honestly say I don’t hate them.... I actually don’t thing my Classic 6” serrated, Saji 3.5” paring, Fuji 6” chef, Fuji 10”, birchwood 190mm chef are going to ever leave my block
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I truly dislike the Shun single bevel knives because they are such poor factory grinds, but overall I don't mind Shuns. They catch far more hell than they deserve.

For the general marketplace, I'll take one over a Cutco or Global any day :)

---
Ken
CacahuateSommelier

ken123 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:12 pm I truly dislike the Shun single bevel knives because they are such poor factory grinds, but overall I don't mind Shuns. They catch far more hell than they deserve.

---
Ken
I completely understand/agree with the global & cutco hate
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

We have a lot of Shun haters here. I like mine - use them when I need NSF markings on a knife and sometimes because I want to. I feel like I am at my AMG owners club and disclosing I own a fox body mustang and having a couple people laugh (been there - my mustang lacks traction but runs mid 13's at 128-131mph - figure out what that means).
Shuns are knives sold to the masses who think Sur la Table or Williams Sonoma are the shiz - we live in a world where we all have AMG knives. A shun is still the best mass produced knive out there IMHO - I chipped the only miyabi I ever owned - gave it to my sister. We need to be cognizant that most of us own very high end hand made knives - we own the AMGs - most of the masses own a Honda and a few own vettes - I would guess shun sells more knives in a week than Mark does in 5 years - different market. Used properly, they are decent knives - I'll never get rid of mine
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ken123 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:12 pm I truly dislike the Shun single bevel knives because they are such poor factory grinds, but overall I don't mind Shuns. They catch far more hell than they deserve.

---
Ken
I'll +1 that all day...I mean night...or whatever. :)
wphill

Post by wphill »

From all this enthusiasm vg 10 is the winner. Been here long enough that this steel has had a stigma attached.....mass production ala global. Yet, some top smiths continue to use this steel. Us knife nuts do have a penchant for snobbery. I only wish I had more funds at my disposal to be a bigger and better one.
snipes

Post by snipes »

Personally I'm more than happy to step in to someone's kitchen, help prepare a meal and find a block full of Shuns. They are usually relatively sharp. Much better than being handed a 6" serrated Chicago Cutlery chef knife or a Wustof that would struggle cutting semi hard butter. The Somm's analogy to Silver Oak and Caymus is a good one.
jobone

Post by jobone »

Looks like a knife I will recommend to friends.

I would be sleeping on the couch for a month if I ditched my wife’s shun ;-(
Rufus Leaking

Post by Rufus Leaking »

The better the product, the less need to advertise, and vice-versa. No matter how many people I repeat this caveat to, it never seems to register. It’s as if there is perceived safety in numbers. Follow the crowd. Right off that cliff....