Komagiri AKA wide gyuto

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Bensbites

Komagiri AKA wide gyuto

Post by Bensbites »

After one of these “wide gyuto” or Komagiris showed up in the “show me your new knife” thread, I am seeing more and more of Instagram and the web in general. At 75 mm high, I wonder if this might be the next trend like tall nakiris.

I find myself intrigued, but I doubt it will outperform some of my more special knives/cleavers. Either way, I want to learn more.

Mark, would you stock these?
lsboogy

Re: Komagiri AKA wide gyuto

Post by lsboogy »

Ben - I think they are kind of like bell bottoms - cool in their day. I bought what I would consider a Komagiri at Tsujiki in Chuo many years ago. Don't remember the maker, but it was a club - big 210 that weighed about 350 grams (3/4 lb) - stopped using it years ago because it was a workout even prepping for a family dinner. Have not seen them for years, but try it - might be a good thing for your kit. I'm trying to settle on three or 4 knives max for daily use, all very light ones.
Bensbites

Re: Komagiri AKA wide gyuto

Post by Bensbites »

lsboogy wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:03 am Ben - I think they are kind of like bell bottoms - cool in their day. I bought what I would consider a Komagiri at Tsujiki in Chuo many years ago. Don't remember the maker, but it was a club - big 210 that weighed about 350 grams (3/4 lb) - stopped using it years ago because it was a workout even prepping for a family dinner. Have not seen them for years, but try it - might be a good thing for your kit. I'm trying to settle on three or 4 knives max for daily use, all very light ones.
Let me know if you want to move it along.