What is Honyaki?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
salemj

Re: Western w2 Honyaki gyuto

Post by salemj »

mauichef wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:02 am Oh my! Sounds really cool Sean. Looking forward to seeing it.
Love the western handle option.

I'm stoked Carter is now doing W2.

Interesting that you are calling it Honyaki.
I know honyaki need to be differentially hardened, which these are.
But some people think they need to be hammered into shape not cut from a bar stock. Even though that bar is "technically" forged.
There seems to be some confusion over the use of the terms honyaki and zen-ko when describing these blades.
What say you Carter? Is it a honyaki or a zen-ko?
This is new to me! The only debates I ever remember involve the confusion over "honyaki" as a term for monosteel (not-differentially treated, such as Suisin Inox Honyaki), versus ones that are. That debate has been clarified time and time again, and is of substance.

That debate was easy to clarify because it was limited to heat-treatment. If "honyaki" somehow refers to a type of knife rather than a type of heat-treatment, then things get complicated. But if it refers to a type of heat-treatment and NOT to a type of knife, then I don't understand how anything except for the heat-treatment is of relevance in its definition. Put another way, in this case, the type of steel used as to do with the type of honyaki, not whether or not it is a honyaki, as would the type of forging.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
mauichef

What is Honyaki?

Post by mauichef »

I have moved my comment and those that followed to this new thread for further discussion...or not ;)

Sorry if it is starting off a bit messy but it was difficult to split the thread in a meaningful and time related way.
old onion

Re: What is Honyaki?

Post by old onion »

Carter

Post by Carter »

Some break it down further, ie. would you consider a stock removal blade to be honyaki, if it were carbon monosteel differentially heat treated and quenched in oil or water, or does it have to be a forged blade. My blades are stock removal, but the rest of the HT process is along the lines of the definition on honyaki, but I am not comfortable presenting my knives as honyaki. I refer to them as a monosteel carbon blade that has been differentially heat treated. I do know that they are harder to make than the non differentially heated monosteel 52100 that I have been making.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Carter,

What can you tell us about the steel blanks you start from, are they cold rolled steel, cross rolled plate, forged blanks, etc? I think that the question of forged or not forged needs to be refined just a little as to the starting properties of the steel. I don't mean to criticize your process or products I'm just looking to understand what your offering.
Carter

Post by Carter »

I buy my steel from New Jersey Steel Baron "Aldo", I think it would be classed as cold rolled. I get it in 48" bars at differing thicknesses and widths.

Below is a photo I sent to a customer showing the layout of the knife profile on the bar of steel.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

old onion wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:23 pm This:
http://www.knivesandstones.com/honyaki/
That is a description and not a definition. It does not address if a stock removal blade can be a Honyaki only that the knives they sell are forged.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

This is just me, but I don't use western terms for Japanese knives and I don't use Japanese terms for western knives.

When I buy a knife from a western maker I consider it a chef knife, and gyuto from a Japanese maker. Similarly, when I buy a differential hardened knife from a Japanese maker I call it a Honyaki, when it comes from a western maker its differential hardened.

At the end of the day, it does not affect how it cuts.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

I agree Jeff I haven't seen a definition of Honyaki that specifies material properties prior to heat treatment. Differentially heat treating can produce the desired mechanical strength and hardness properties of either a forged or stock removal blade. The differences I see are grain refinement, breaking up of inclusions and distribution of impurities (inclusions, etc). A forged structure should have impurities refined and distributed and should yield a material with higher fracture toughness regardless of strength level (my 30,000 foot level of knowledge).
Carter

Post by Carter »

I forgot to mention, and maybe it is a little late at this point, because we seem to have adopted a somewhat loose definition of honyaki. I spoke with Ray on Friday about this and he mentioned that for the old timers true honyaki was made from tamahagane steel, so from their standpoint, there would be no shirogami/aogami honyaki. I feel that it is safe to assume current Japanese bladesmiths have moved passed that and are comfortable indicating that a blade is a honyaki from shirogami. Point being, there are always different interpretations of what constitutes a traditional item.

I appreciate Matt's comment above and largely agree with his thought process. I am not comfortable saying one of my blades is honyaki, but I do call it a gyuto...maybe I should change to chef knife. As he states, the knife doesn't know the difference and it cuts no differently.....which brings up another topic for discussion....what is the difference between a forged knife and a stock removal blade. I do understand that in the hands of a master, there may be better grain refinement (as Jack says) with forging....but that also considers very careful forge temp control and refined (no pun) heat treating...the average guy isn't going to reach those levels. I have also spent enough time researching and refining heat treatment of stock removal blades, that a very high level of grain refinement can be had....most of my 52100 treatment comes from techniques developed by Ed Fowler and Rex Walters. Just as an fyi...my 52100 and W2 blades are in and out of the knife kiln 7 times, it is a complex recipe.

Now for where I am a stickler: There is no such thing as a vodka martini, and there sure as hell isn't an apple martini.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Carter wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:02 pm I forgot to mention, and maybe it is a little late at this point, because we seem to have adopted a somewhat loose definition of honyaki. I spoke with Ray on Friday about this and he mentioned that for the old timers true honyaki was made from tamahagane steel, so from their standpoint, there would be no shirogami/aogami honyaki. I feel that it is safe to assume current Japanese bladesmiths have moved passed that and are comfortable indicating that a blade is a honyaki from shirogami. Point being, there are always different interpretations of what constitutes a traditional item.

I appreciate Matt's comment above and largely agree with his thought process. I am not comfortable saying one of my blades is honyaki, but I do call it a gyuto...maybe I should change to chef knife. As he states, the knife doesn't know the difference and it cuts no differently.....which brings up another topic for discussion....what is the difference between a forged knife and a stock removal blade. I do understand that in the hands of a master, there may be better grain refinement (as Jack says) with forging....but that also considers very careful forge temp control and refined (no pun) heat treating...the average guy isn't going to reach those levels. I have also spent enough time researching and refining heat treatment of stock removal blades, that a very high level of grain refinement can be had....most of my 52100 treatment comes from techniques developed by Ed Fowler and Rex Walters. Just as an fyi...my 52100 and W2 blades are in and out of the knife kiln 7 times, it is a complex recipe.

Now for where I am a stickler: There is no such thing as a vodka martini, and there sure as hell isn't an apple martini.
I'm glad to see you write this, especially the last line (haha). Seriously, though: the whole tamahagane steel thing is exactly what provoked my simple "razor" response: unless we're talking about something so strict that it also limits other aspects of the knife – which practice tells us is really not the case – this is seems like the issue is pretty cut and dry.

I can see why the use of the term WOULD be significant for your work, Carter, at a larger scale, in the same way that the use of the word "hammer" might be: some customers are really shopping based on knowledge of vocabulary more than knowledge of process. This is splitting hairs with "differentially treated" and "honyaki," of course, since it is rare for someone to know one and not the other. But those people still exist. The forging is more complicated: people still seem confused as to whether the use of a hammer means a knife is forged, or whether it merely requires a "forge" to be forged (i.e., heat-treatment by a knife expert going for knife attributes, rather than heat treatment in a factory prior to actually shaping and grinding the knife and going for particular types of tempering rather than just a raw "HRC").

I remain one of those people who is extremely uncomfortable with the idea that a "hammer forged" knife is superior to a "stock removal" one; I'm particularly annoyed given that the forging of a knife requires no real folding, only stretching in a variety of directions, some of which do not relate to its intended use. How this can produce a certain kind of reliable or consistent grain structure that survives later heat-treatment in such a way that it is predictably and consistently superior to all other forms of metallurgic manufacturing of "rolled" or prefabricated steel (which is also usually pressurized in manufacture) is beyond my basic understanding of physics (but it also seems to be beyond anyone with advanced knowledge of the process to be able to explain it or guarantee it using any specific explanation that refers to knife-making specifically rather than just abstract explanations that refer to the process of forging more generally). We all know that hitachi steels come in pre-manufactured billets which are merely inserted and hammered thin, not folded, when making san mai blades; it is hard to imagine these billets would be treated differently when making a honyaki version, since the folding of tamahagane is done as a separate part of making the steel, and not as part of making the knife. If the steel is never really stretched and folded, it is hard to imagine how its elements can be satisfactorily redistributed, especially when starting with already very refined alloys. I'm ready to be educated and to change my mind, but all of this virtually always reads like someone describing the benefits of kneeding dough for ten minutes, but then applying it to a no-kneed recipe in which the bread is merely folded and shaped at the end. To be clear: this isn't a knock to the science or to metallurgists. It is more the kind of frustration you get when one person reads something scientific, related to specific constrains, variables, and comparisons, and then sees it applied to any or all similar uses of the process which do not fit the original description. Either I am grossly misunderstanding the metallurgy and the "scale" of impurities (entirely possible!), or those aspects of forging just don't really apply all that effectively to the core steel of hammered blades.

The short of it is that I still think we have a lot to learn about this aspect of knife making before it is properly "de-romanticized" such that we can appreciate excellent products for what they are, separate from unsubstantiated connotations. For now, there is way too strong of a "selection bias," since the vast majority of top Japanese smiths hammer-forge their knives. But I do think with the rise of certain others, including many excellent North American makers, but also including the continued use and appreciation of "stamped" Japanese knives in kitchens everywhere which receive the hardest abuse of all, we may enter a phase when the idea of hammer forging is less of a necessity in terms of claiming the ultimate refinement of a knife "core steel," specifically.

None of this is to berate a preference for hammer-forging: I celebrate that as a preference. It is only when it is used as an unsubstantiated stand-in for "superior to" that I become frustrated. Sadly, this little thread has me feeling the same way about the term "honyaki": if it doesn't stand for "differentially treated," but instead stands for some weird amalgamation of qualities which has no consistent basis in verbal use, and is actually no better or worse than a knife that is "differentially treated" but is used as if it always already refers to some "superior" version of a certain process, then I'll question its use for any contemporary knife, period.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Carter

Post by Carter »

Kalaeb wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:45 pm Forge v. Stock: http://www.cashenblades.com/images/arti ... wdown.html
Thanks for sharing with the group. I have to admit that every time I read Kevin's website and posts, I have to re-read several times and still am not sure that I digest it. I have been able to garner some nuggets that are helpful with my processes and I appreciate his willingness to share his knowledge. Similar to studying Ed Fowler's work, I think their writings about what is possible with various steels and forging/HT techniques is not readily achievable by the average hammer banger (myself included one day perhaps). They are some of the rare individuals that have the aptitude and interest to understand the intricacies of metallurgy at a high level and also have the patience to experiment and notate the results exhaustively and then refine the process. As a novice, I am grateful that I can read about their findings and techniques.

My take away from Fowler is that good results can be had with stock removal with proper heat treatment of the bar of steel, however, a properly forged large piece of the same type steel that had gone through a massive reduction (think a large ball bearing) has the potential to have a more uniform and refined grain structure. If one were to by a bar of 52100, similar to what I use for stock removal and heated it in a forge and hammered it, you could say it was forged, but the results would be more similar to stock removal than forging the ball bearing down to a blade.

All interesting info in this thread.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Ray, first of all thanks for creating this thread allowing further discussion, I think it interests a lot knife nuts, both die hards and novice.

I feel a little responsible for loosely using term Honyaki in my original post and it probably incurred a little bit of undue worrying for Carter for which I apologize for. That being said, I’ve known Carter for less than a week and really like the guy. He called and we chatted for a bit and he had me laughing and feeling like I was talking to an old friend immediately.

I’m glad to let the rest of you debate how far you wanna take it when it comes to the term Honyaki. It’s probably a discussion that needs to be had. I’ll be a spectator though, happy to watch.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

Kalaeb wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:45 pm Forge v. Stock: http://www.cashenblades.com/images/arti ... wdown.html
Thanks for that link. I’m going to have to re-read it several times, but the nerd in me is really enjoying it.
--- Steve
timos

Post by timos »

This topic came up for me a year or so ago and since then I stopped referring to anything I make with Japanese terminology. I also like Matt's POV and am going along with that route. I actually started learning about kitchen cutlery here though, so my mind is still thinking with Japanese terms and I do interchange chef knife with gyuto pretty often still. At this point I think I am just going to give each design a funky name and let others classify them. As for forging vs stock removal, well I tend to like this article very much: http://www.cashenblades.com/images/arti ... wdown.html
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

pd7077 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:45 am
Thanks for that link. I’m going to have to re-read it several times, but the nerd in me is really enjoying it.
No doubt, there is alot to digest. If I recall (may be way off), Larrin Thomas also did one that I have been looking for. Maybe he will join Devin in Chicago and can put in a few words.
timos

Post by timos »

wooops, totally missed that you already posted that link! wow, mondays...
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Well...at least the Martini debate has been settled! :D
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Jeff B wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:45 pm Well...at least the Martini debate has been settled! :D
Roger that!

Think Tim may have been into the martinis last night......