A POLISHING WHETSTONE... LIKE NO OTHER

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
BRAZILIAN WHETSTONES

A POLISHING WHETSTONE... LIKE NO OTHER

Post by BRAZILIAN WHETSTONES »

Folks,

I believe this is a unique whetstone.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/te5c1k9qr246s ... .jpeg?dl=0

It is a polishing one. It makes the blade glitter.

It had two different features; 1) it is translucent! I think the perfect word to describe it would be "diaphanous". 2) it is very soft, its hardness in the Mohs scale is 2.0.

Being a soft whetstone, it didn't make the blade sharpen! The opposite happens when you sharp with this whetstone: your knife will become... dull.

So, I make a change: instead of using this stone AT THE END of the process of sharpening, like all polishing others, il use it... AT THE BEGINNING. You could spend some 20-25 minutes sharpening with this stone. And your blade will become very glittering. Dull and glittering!

Then, you will go to the ordinary process of sharpening: sharpening stones, low honing stones, high honing stones, polishing... and so on. And your knife will become both sharpen and very glittering

Here you have a video of it in my hands.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xhz9wanba26wn ... 3.mkv?dl=0
Drewski

Re: A POLISHING WHETSTONE... LIKE NO OTHER

Post by Drewski »

BRAZILIAN WHETSTONES wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:27 am

So, I make a change: instead of using this stone AT THE END of the process of sharpening, like all polishing others, il use it... AT THE BEGINNING. You could spend some 20-25 minutes sharpening with this stone. And your blade will become very glittering. Dull and glittering!

Then, you will go to the ordinary process of sharpening: sharpening stones, low honing stones, high honing stones, polishing... and so on. And your knife will become both sharpen and very glittering
Very interesting! Can you show us pictures of how the blade looks after using this glittering stone, and also how the blade looks after using the glittering stone and then a full progression of other stones? Just wondering what exactly a glittering edge looks like. Thanks!
BRAZILIAN WHETSTONES

Drewski,

I think that "the best advertising" of my whetstones... Are my personal knives!

Can you give me your email? I can send you some video of my personal knives.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

BRAZILIAN WHETSTONES wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:47 am Drewski,

I think that "the best advertising" of my whetstones... Are my personal knives!

Can you give me your email? I can send you some video of my personal knives.
I dont want to speak for all of us, but I think more than one person would like to see what type of finish your stones are producing.
BRAZILIAN WHETSTONES

Hi

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o540csng5fa48 ... R.mkv?dl=0

This is my personal knives holder. I pick up four of my knives (Misono UX Dimples, Kohetsu Bunka, Sukenari Nakiri ZDP189 and Konosuke Kiritsuke).

I cut a sheet of paper with each one of these knives.

Take a look
dAviD

Post by dAviD »

I'm assuming the glitter is some kind of unique scratch pattern or polish. I'll be interested in the feedback from the Chicago show, nothing is better than hands on from some of the guys who post on here on a regular basis and can give comparison to something similar.
BRAZILIAN WHETSTONES

I used "glittering" meaning "shining", "brightening".

Should I use another one?
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

Shine, shiny, and shining are probably the best way to put it.
BRAZILIAN WHETSTONES

Thank you.

I will use the correct form in the next posts!
shevitz

Post by shevitz »

The polishing stone looks like gypsum.
Gregory27

Post by Gregory27 »

BRAZILIAN WHETSTONES wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:47 am Hi

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o540csng5fa48 ... R.mkv?dl=0

This is my personal knives holder. I pick up four of my knives (Misono UX Dimples, Kohetsu Bunka, Sukenari Nakiri ZDP189 and Konosuke Kiritsuke).

I cut a sheet of paper with each one of these knives.

Take a look
I like that block. Custom made to match the counter?

I can't wait until my kids are old enough that I don't have to have EVERYTHING up on magnetic strips, out of their reach. It'll really give me more room for knives.
BRAZILIAN WHETSTONES

Gregory,

I'm glad you like it.

The block, indeed, is an "11 layers sandwich" of wood. And two more layers of stone (outside). The 11 layers of wood are united with two huge screws inside... Very simple.

The project of the block is extremely simple: there are five slots to knives in any layer. The first layer has knives in the slots 1, 3 and 5; the second layer, 2 and 4; And so on!

As you can see, there are only two "patterns". And all the block is a repetition of this two patterns.

For sure, there are different colors of wood.

But you can do all with just one wood. I suggest you "zebra wood". A gorgeous standard.

I suggest Mark to mass produce this. It's simple, it's easy, it's functional, it's practical... And it's cheap! If you don't put the stone of the outside, it's just wood.

I was lucky that my carpenter is an extremely gift man!

Anyway, to take a 1.3 cm layer of wood and make the 0.3 room for the knife... it's hard. If you want a "even more simple" idea: In my block, each "layer" has 1.3 cm. You can split this layer in two, one of 1.0 cm... and the second one, of 0.3. cm And you cut just the 0.3 layer to make the room for the knives. By doing so, you just need to cut the 0.3 layer altogether, from the inside to the outside. And you attach each 0.3 layer to its 1.0 layer... So, instead of 11 layers, you will get 22. Then, screw all them together... and sanding it in the end... and that's it"

My previous block was simple. Send me your email, I will send you the pictures of my previous, it is simpler, easy to assemble.

Thanks for this message.

Best regards
skypickle

Post by skypickle »

About that beautiful knife holder. If you just sandwich layers of wood (1 cm, .3 cm, 1 cm, .3 cm,1 cm) and hold them together w 2 screws, i wonder if the wood layers will warp and separate. especially since the knives will go back into the holder moist, damp or even w a few drops of water. Is there any glue used?