EDC suggestions

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Horizonson

Re: EDC suggestions

Post by Horizonson »

Rock on! 😄👍
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

Stay safe, and enjoy the new knives.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I'm a Spyderco fan. I want a knife I can open quickly. I like the Military knives but you might want something smaller - like the PM2 or Mannix. Not a fan of s30v and like the harder 4%+ steels. I often carry a K2 in s10v.

I'm an avid pro dog fan but there are times when defense comes first. A small blade would not be my first choice or a spray can. Things happen in an instant. It is far too easy to miss a target (like a pair of eyes) with a spray and far too easy to get your hand torn up or worse with a blade. Teeth are fast. Fixed blades are a bit faster to deploy but even so if you take too long getting it out of the sheath, you are toast. If you are on a bike fending off a dog or wild animal, odds are you will fall off your bike. . My personal favorite is a strong bicycle pump or stick or longer tool (wrench, etc) More arm reach and better chance of a hit. You don't want your hands in the middle of a dogfight. Also be aware of laws regarding carrying large blades and guns. Dogs are attracted to the clicking sound of a coasting bike. Keep peddling.

If you are walking a dog (I've had two - each 125+ pounds) one of your best defenses is a long leash. Use it like a whip with a knife for backup. Few dogs will want to take you onand the leash is also defensive. . I've stopped several dog fights this way.

Remember dogs etc have strong jaws. My 125 pound malamute could EASILY chew through a forearm. Going through a leg of lamb sounded like a cue ball hitting a rack.

Not perfect answers. Expect injuries.

---
Ken
ceast

Post by ceast »

ken123 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:30 pm I'm a Spyderco fan. I want a knife I can open quickly. I like the Military knives but you might want something smaller - like the PM2 or Mannix. Not a fan of s30v and like the harder 4%+ steels. I often carry a K2 in s10v.

I'm an avid pro dog fan but there are times when defense comes first. A small blade would not be my first choice or a spray can. Things happen in an instant. It is far too easy to miss a target (like a pair of eyes) with a spray and far too easy to get your hand torn up or worse with a blade. Teeth are fast. Fixed blades are a bit faster to deploy but even so if you take too long getting it out of the sheath, you are toast. If you are on a bike fending off a dog or wild animal, odds are you will fall off your bike. . My personal favorite is a strong bicycle pump or stick or longer tool (wrench, etc) More arm reach and better chance of a hit. You don't want your hands in the middle of a dogfight. Also be aware of laws regarding carrying large blades and guns. Dogs are attracted to the clicking sound of a coasting bike. Keep peddling.

If you are walking a dog (I've had two - each 125+ pounds) one of your best defenses is a long leash. Use it like a whip with a knife for backup. Few dogs will want to take you onand the leash is also defensive. . I've stopped several dog fights this way.

Remember dogs etc have strong jaws. My 125 pound malamute could EASILY chew through a forearm. Going through a leg of lamb sounded like a cue ball hitting a rack.

Not perfect answers. Expect injuries.

---
Ken
Thanks Ken, I ended up with a Chaparral frn for a small edc and a PM2 in 20cv for something larger. I'm gonna keep one with me on sketchy rides for absolute last resort, but clearly my spray, bike itself and frame pump are my best defense. If it's a really large and aggressive dog, I'm kinda screwed no matter what, but that, like getting hit by a car is an accepted risk.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Not an expert but learn how to use a knife or you become hamburger. Dont assume that a sharp knife is a panacea. Also don't assume all dogs are bad. They sense your intentions almost immediately.

Ken.
Jason H

Post by Jason H »

I own a variety of Benchmades and Spydercos and really like them both, but the Osborne 940 is my favorite. I have the aluminum scales and am very tempted by the carbon scaled version with s90v but am hesitant as the s30v slides on my 1k stones like glass. With EDC's I fall into the utilitarian category, I don't want a piece of jewelry or something so expensive that I am worried about using or losing it. With that in mind I have found two beauties: Ontario Rat which has a flipper action and centering better than many knives at 5-10 times the price. For a knife not used for hard use, I love the Opinel no. 8 carbon which is an utterly absurd amount of knife for $15. It's the laser of pocket knives.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I would never rely on a knife I carry in a pocket to be used as a weapon - hold on a minute while I get my knife out. I carry mostly a Chris Reeve Mnandi or a Buck Whittaker (laugh, but they are great little knives with a serrated part that is great for cutting rope and such). A pocket blade is a tool - not a defensive thing. Riding bike I have a multi tool that does most stuff - my bike would be the only defense against a dog. And I second the Opinel carbon #8 - my favorite picnic knife - cut your cheese and bread with it. I have one in my desk drawer at work
eyewanders

Post by eyewanders »

ceast wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:00 pm I actually tried a Leek early on. It's really nice, just not for me. Not a fan of assisted opening and the tip was just so needle like I was concerned about breaking it. I loved the 940 Osborne, but it's way over budget.
I've so many folding knives bought over the past decade that it's silly. I carried a Leek most often for a number of years, mostly for it's fine tip which i found came in super handy for everyday tasks. Assist didn't bug me much but i too don't generally prefer them. I also went on a Ganzo buying spree about 3 years back (a contentious topic we don't need to get into haha) and they're littered around the house and garage. For what they are, they're great - for me namely, just having a knife stashed in various places I may want/need.

Of all the many I've carried I keep coming back to my Kershaw Skyline.... stout geometry with a hollow grind, and a very decent tip considering for the blade shape. Super easy to deploy and the scaled handle is just perfect for me personally. I mostly just carry the first one I see each day, but in the past two years, the Skyline (I have a purdy lil damascus version) has spent the most time in my pocket by a huge margin. The Ontario Rat II has spent some time in there as well, but I don't like the deploy or geometry as much overall. This thread got me to think about all of them for a moment and I guess by default, the Skyline quietly became my favorite... mostly for the price, size, performance combo. It's not a cheap knife, but not an expensive one either so I don't worry about it. It holds a great edge that I've not taken to a stone in a long while - just strop it and all is good.
---Kevin
smcmaui

Post by smcmaui »

I have the Benchmade CLA auto 3.4 and I like it a lot, for non auto the Benchmade 940-2 93.4) with G10 is nice and light, also the Spyderco PM-2 is a great but closer to 4"
alanhuth

Post by alanhuth »

I bought a lot of folders, looking for my perfect EDC, and when I found it, I stopped buying. The one that filled the bill for me is the Spyderco Sage 2. Now I have 3. It is an homage to Chris Reeve style with titanium slides, frame lock. I really like 3 things about it: 1) the deep pocket wire clip is the best. 2) You can open it, deploy it, and close it easily with the same hand. and 3) it's very rugged without being heavy. S30V, flat grind, were table stakes. People seem to like them, or maybe it's just scarcity, but the first one I bought was $160; now they are $200+.
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

JackWorld wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:56 am Hi Kevin! I have many Ganzos, they all have great quality. I think rerally there are many cheaps and low quality knives in China, but I recommend you to try Ganzo. I think you`ll be satisfied with price -quality ratio. If you need a link where I usually buy their knives
Edited by Mark so he doesn't get the link credit.
That’s where you “usually buy” them, or that’s where you “sell” them?!? 🤔
--- Steve
old onion

Post by old onion »

One of my Spyderco Natives is always on me along with a traditional slip joint.
IMG_0253 (2).JPG
thetoe

Post by thetoe »

SHPOS by halff face.

mauichef

Post by mauichef »

I want to buy a nice EDC for my wife for Christmas. Any recommendations? She is well into knives so a good one is in order.
This would be for practical uses and not defense ;-)
Thanks guys!
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

mauichef wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:31 pm I want to buy a nice EDC for my wife for Christmas. Any recommendations? She is well into knives so a good one is in order.
This would be for practical uses and not defense ;-)
Thanks guys!
Ray,

What's your price range? Any preferences for steel, blade length, weight, opening mechanism, scale material, lock type, etc? I bought my wife a Spyderco Ladybug 3 and she likes it but she's not very picky.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Cigarguy

Post by Cigarguy »

I've got about 20 different pocket knives in various sizes and steels. For EDC my favourite by far is the Sypderco Manix or the Spyderco Delica. Love the Delica. Just a nice size for carrying yet practical enough for everyday usage. I'm a general contractor so I "try" not to abuse it too much but sometimes I'm just too lazy to go get my Olfa knife. Mine has VG10 steel which is perfect for what I use it for as VG10 is a good compromise of edge retention, ease of sharpening, not too expensive, not too brittle, and low maintenance. Over the last 4 years years this have been my EDC. Over that time I've been swapping out many other knives and have always returned to the Delica. The Manix with S30V steel is a close second but is a little wide for my liking.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Spyderco Manix, I have it in S30V. I have a bunch of EDCs but its my favorite. DMT diamond stones and spyderco ultra fine whip that S30V into shape very fast and the edge lasts a long time.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
gladius

Post by gladius »

Check out a folder in D2 semi-stainless tool steel: affordable yet provides good everyday performance and is easy to keep sharp...

https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/stor ... pe=priceAs
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Love my Spydy PM2.
Attachments
20150309_183710.jpg
20150309_185434.jpg
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
delmar

Post by delmar »

Para 2 is my favorite. Good size - small enough it doesnt bug me on my belt or in pocket, but large enough blade to be quite utilitarian. Cut up some tri tip up in the desert with it last week. Like butta'