Mazaki Watanabe comparison

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Bluenoser87

Mazaki Watanabe comparison

Post by Bluenoser87 »

I have a Mazaki 240 (the formerly Yahiko one) from here. I’ve been eyeing a Watanabe Pro 240 as my next acquisition. Anyone have or used both and can offer some direct comparison comments? I gather the steel and hardness and whatnot are different, but they look pretty similar to me otherwise based on specs. Mazaki/Watanabe/Toyama all seem to be recommended as workhorses and I'm just curious in what way the Mazaki and Wat in particular differ in use/feel/etc.
gladius

Re: Mazaki Watanabe comparison

Post by gladius »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:34 pm I have a Mazaki 240 (the formerly Yahiko one) from here. I’ve been eyeing a Watanabe Pro 240 as my next acquisition. Anyone have or used both and can offer some direct comparison comments? I gather the steel and hardness and whatnot are different, but they look pretty similar to me otherwise based on specs. Mazaki/Watanabe/Toyama all seem to be recommended as workhorses and I'm just curious in what way the Mazaki and Wat in particular differ in use/feel/etc.
---
You may find this of interest: viewtopic.php?p=64143#p64143
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Yeah I saw that one. That’s an interesting comparison and what I’m after. I’m curious where a Mazaki would fit in to that. I guess a Kato is sort of in the same category but given the price and how unobtainable they are I’m not sure it’s worth considering for me. Basically I’m just curious if it’s even worth looking at a Watanabe given I already have a workhorse in the Mazaki. This sort of comparison tends to get all wrapped up in vendor loyalties but I thought I’d ask anyway :)
J david

Post by J david »

I have a Yahiko Mazaki as well. It is thinner than both the Toyama and the Wat. I prefer the latter for a workhorse though I really like the Mazaki for a thinner choice with descent release.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

My Mazaki is thicker than my toyamas. The toyamas cut a smoother through dense veggies. My Mazaki has better food release than my toyamas. My Mazaki is the jns version. I prefer it over the yahiko version. I think they r both definitely workhorses, but also different enough you could own both.
Anewknife

Post by Anewknife »

I have a 240 Mazaki jns and a Watanabe 240 ku. The wat is heavier and feels more solid. I prefer the wat for longer prep as the edge stays longer after beating on the board.
Pirendeus

Post by Pirendeus »

I'm not saying that the Mazaki is weak, but my 240 watanabe is just a beast.
gladius

Post by gladius »

I have a JNS Mazaki 240, not a new style and though it is smaller compared to the Watanabe it feels nimbler and is an overall better cutter. I have been curious how a new style Mazaki might compare to the older model.
wphill

Post by wphill »

What about food release is a parameter for comparison?
I have a petty mazaki....the wow is there. From December 2017. Not a clue if that is old or new.
As a white needs more touching up to keep edge keen, probably more than the wat blue steel.
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

I ended up ordering a Toyama, for what it’s worth
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:00 am I ended up ordering a Toyama, for what it’s worth
You won't regret that decision man.
ashy2classy

Post by ashy2classy »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:00 am I ended up ordering a Toyama, for what it’s worth
Good decision. You would have been good with Watanabe as well. I have both in 240 and both are really fun to use. The Toyama is a bit beefier (20g heavier), but both are good with whatever rough and tumble you throw at them. Even though they're so similar, I want to keep both.
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

ashy2classy wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:08 am
Good decision. You would have been good with Watanabe as well. I have both in 240 and both are really fun to use. The Toyama is a bit beefier (20g heavier), but both are good with whatever rough and tumble you throw at them. Even though they're so similar, I want to keep both.
The weight difference is kind of what I was looking for. My Mazaki is 220g so something a little heavier should be fun to try. Doesn’t sound like there’s a wrong option here though.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

The Toyama is a great choice. I've grown rather fond of Aogami steel.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Willison_Knives

Post by Willison_Knives »

I just got the watanabe 240 KU
From what I gather its actually the same knife as the pro, but it doesn't have the ku ground off so its a tad bit thicker at the spine. He does a great job with heat treat and getting thin behind the edge. Haven't had issues with chipping. Its a workhorse through and through with very little taper in the spine. Thats the only thing I personally would do different. A bit of taper toward the tip would have made it perfect all around IMO. That being said, it doesn't have issues with horizontal cuts through onion and doesn't edge in carrot, it just doesn't fly though. The pro being a little thinner would probably make a bit of a difference, but the KU helps with food release as well.
Thats all I can say though for I don't have any experience with the former.
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
enjay

Post by enjay »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:34 pm The Toyama is a great choice. I've grown rather fond of Aogami steel.
Yes but did he teach Watanabe or what?

I kid.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

If the Watanabe gyuto is anything like his Pro Nakiri it must be a beast of a knife!
Fully on my want list.
ashy2classy

Post by ashy2classy »

I thought the KU series was wide-beveled?
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Toyama arrived today. I haven’t had a chance to use it yet, but it’s quite a bit less workhorsey than I was expecting. It comes in at 206g which is quite a bit less than the 250g JNS lists. Not a big deal, but not quite what I was expecting. My Mazaki is 220g so if I want to try something heavier I guess I need to buy another knife...
ashy2classy

Post by ashy2classy »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:14 pm Toyama arrived today. I haven’t had a chance to use it yet, but it’s quite a bit less workhorsey than I was expecting. It comes in at 206g which is quite a bit less than the 250g JNS lists. Not a big deal, but not quite what I was expecting. My Mazaki is 220g so if I want to try something heavier I guess I need to buy another knife...
Wow, that's crazy light. It must be thin! What are the dimensions of the blade?