What can I get for $50?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Gregory27

What can I get for $50?

Post by Gregory27 »

So I'm ordering a knife for a coworker, and its enough to hit free shipping, which, of course, means that I should get something for myself. That being said, I want to keep it at $50, or less. So... knife? Stone? Other? I almost don't even care, I just want a cheap fix. If nothing else, I might just throw another higo folder on there, as I actually use mine a lot.
dAviD

Re: What can I get for $50?

Post by dAviD »

I'd look over the closeout section.
This is $45!
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/toprgy27.html
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

If it were me,in no particular order:

Shapton on pro 1k.
Dauvoa gyuto or bunka
Hummm. There has to be more.
Qapla'

Post by Qapla' »

Gregory27 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:56 pm So I'm ordering a knife for a coworker, and its enough to hit free shipping, which, of course, means that I should get something for myself. That being said, I want to keep it at $50, or less. So... knife? Stone? Other? I almost don't even care, I just want a cheap fix. If nothing else, I might just throw another higo folder on there, as I actually use mine a lot.
Well, what sorts of knives or stones don't you have? A Tojiro Hairline Santoku would fit your budget, as would the Fujiwara petty knives (either flavor), or for that matter significant swaths of the Okeya lines (even their fancier steels, like a ginsan ko-deba) and most all of the Daovua items.

I have the Okeya Kogatana (it's what inspired me to look more into carbon-steel knives), and the Spring-Loaded Stone Holder. (It works for Atoma plates too, not just stones.) I like them both.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

Gregory27

Post by Gregory27 »

dAviD wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:29 pm I'd look over the closeout section.
This is $45!
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/toprgy27.html
I like it! However, I think my wife would almost certainly notice that one suddenly appearing. I have enough knives in various places that I'm reasonably sure that she wouldn't realize if I get another one (this may not be entirely above board) but that machete might be an exception.
Gregory27

Post by Gregory27 »

Qapla' wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:34 pm
Gregory27 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:56 pm So I'm ordering a knife for a coworker, and its enough to hit free shipping, which, of course, means that I should get something for myself. That being said, I want to keep it at $50, or less. So... knife? Stone? Other? I almost don't even care, I just want a cheap fix. If nothing else, I might just throw another higo folder on there, as I actually use mine a lot.
Well, what sorts of knives or stones don't you have? A Tojiro Hairline Santoku would fit your budget, as would the Fujiwara petty knives (either flavor), or for that matter significant swaths of the Okeya lines (even their fancier steels, like a ginsan ko-deba) and most all of the Daovua items.

I have the Okeya Kogatana (it's what inspired me to look more into carbon-steel knives), and the Spring-Loaded Stone Holder. (It works for Atoma plates too, not just stones.) I like them both.
I have a hairline nakiri (currently out on loan, however), a Fujiwara petty is worth considering, I have a couple of Okeya knives, including the kogatana (he's a fun little guy), and I like the Daovua thought. That might be worth looking at. Stone-wise, I have a good selection of lower grit stones, with limited options at higher grits, but I'm not sure there's much in the higher grit range that I can get for $50.
Gregory27

Post by Gregory27 »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:58 pm 15 peelers!

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kuripe3pcset.html
And we have a winner!
enjay

Post by enjay »

Throw this into the digital basket:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/shkotsh.html
Sean-in-AK

Post by Sean-in-AK »

Oh man there are a ton of goodies you could get for 50$

Great 5k stone
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/suri50grst.html

The strop kit is also really handy for touching up and maintaining knives.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/haamstkit.html

If you are an avid fisherman, the Japanese fish scaler and pin bone tweezers are fantastic products. I have gifted a couple scalers and my friends absolutely love them for snapper and salmon! Bother can be found in the kitchen tools section.

Browse around, I’m sure you will find something that catches your eye!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
HectorFuego

Post by HectorFuego »

Tojiro color series knives are all on clearance. Just bought a honesuke and a 120mm petty for $43.

The honesuke was $25 and is a gift for my son. I already had one from a year or two ago, and for the price it's fantastic. Easy to sharpen and holds the edge well. One of my favorite knives. I haven't broken down a whole chicken yet, but for trimming fat and silver skin off of raw protein it's sublime. Factory edge is not that great though, so be prepared to sharpen it. Best of all, it's kind of a beater of a knife so you don't have to worry about messing up the edge or damaging the thing.

Hector
snipes

Post by snipes »

To quote the great 2 Live Crew "Every 'ting you want. Everything? Every 'ting".

Sorry couldn't resist. It was like a softball waiting to be knocked out the park. Boom!
Gregory27

Post by Gregory27 »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:26 am Daovua 2pc Seconds Set. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/da2pcseset.html
I came really close to pulling the trigger on this, but it was gone once I got to it. So it came down to a Daovua gyuto or the Rika 5k. I went with the Rika. I have a Shapton 5k in my travel kit, but wouldn't mind that same grit in a softer stone. Thanks for the ideas all!
CacahuateSommelier

Post by CacahuateSommelier »

snipes wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:34 pm To quote the great 2 Live Crew "Every 'ting you want. Everything? Every 'ting".

Sorry couldn't resist. It was like a softball waiting to be knocked out the park. Boom!
That part is actually a quote from full metal jacket

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg8gNFHlifg

2LiveCrew just sampled it

"Yo, this Marquis, baby, are you down with it?"
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

HectorFuego wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:23 am Tojiro color series knives are all on clearance. Just bought a honesuke and a 120mm petty for $43.

The honesuke was $25 and is a gift for my son. I already had one from a year or two ago, and for the price it's fantastic. Easy to sharpen and holds the edge well. One of my favorite knives. I haven't broken down a whole chicken yet, but for trimming fat and silver skin off of raw protein it's sublime. Factory edge is not that great though, so be prepared to sharpen it. Best of all, it's kind of a beater of a knife so you don't have to worry about messing up the edge or damaging the thing.

Hector
I second this. I give these (have purchased 6 or 7) to my nieces and nephew, and some others as a very good introduction to good knives. Better than any low end German knife, and I think as good or better than a Fibrox knife - they seem to take a better edge than the Fibrox stuff (brother has a Fibrox - his two older kids have the Tojiro's and the kids knives are always much better taken care of and sharper than my brothers). I find them to be great cheap knives and I might get a few more before they are gone. Plus they have a much better (IMHO) profile than the Fibrox - maybe get one for my brother as well.
Gregory27

Post by Gregory27 »

I'm loving that I went with the Rika 5k. I just touched up a Murata Buho santoku on it, and finished on loaded balsa and then bare leather and officially had my first successful hanging hair test. Probably scored a 3.

I'm liking this stone. A lot.
harrisonh1

Post by harrisonh1 »

th Tojiro MVS are a great entry level and absolutely kill victorinox at that price point