I find these very attractive.

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

I find these very attractive.

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Mr. I need to reduce my inventory (that's me) loves these: https://blanccreatives.com/allitems
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
slobound

Re: I find these very attractive.

Post by slobound »

These are sweeeeet!
-- Garrick
timos

Post by timos »

they do look good, and it sounds like a neat company to boot.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Didn’t I see shibata posting some on IG? Knife pan combo deal?
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

forgive the poor-talk, but what is it about them that raises their price so much? :shock:
That being said, yes, these should certainly cook as well as some jknives cut.. but still
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Altadan wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:02 pm forgive the poor-talk, but what is it about them that raises their price so much? :shock:
That being said, yes, these should certainly cook as well as some jknives cut.. but still
Hand made. You can get a Matfer for a fraction of the price, they are able to reduce costs because they do it in bulk.

I like the idea of supporting Craftsman and local economies so when I can, I do. Pans are a lifetime investment, so I have no problem buying something that means a little more to me.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

+1 they're making each one of these by hand and hammering them into shape. I'm really excited to see blacksmithing coming back as a vocation/ craft and people making things using old skills that were just about gone and forgotten 20 years ago.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Kalaeb wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:07 pm
Altadan wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:02 pm forgive the poor-talk, but what is it about them that raises their price so much? :shock:
Hand made. You can get a Matfer for a fraction of the price, they are able to reduce costs because they do it in bulk.

I like the idea of supporting Craftsman and local economies so when I can, I do. Pans are a lifetime investment, so I have no problem buying something that means a little more to me.
Huh :)
A friend of mine came in and saw the page open on my screen. He said, "I can't imagine a world in which I would pay 250$ for a pan... but maybe you could, right?"
I told him I could imagine the world (though I'm not there), but that the people who do, do it for just the reasons you brought above. Almost verbatim, actually.

Yes, you're right. The handy work that goes into each item is what raises the price, no doubt. One certainly has to want to support the craft to pay that price.
Attractive indeed.
So, Mark, are we going to see CKTG branch out even further?
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

When I can, I would probably buy one. I love my newquist forge pan and I need (want) a really large one. I would rather have a 15 in but I think the 13 in would work.
cjmeik

Post by cjmeik »

Have one. LOVE IT! They were great to deal with too.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:40 pm +1 they're making each one of these by hand and hammering them into shape. I'm really excited to see blacksmithing coming back as a vocation/ craft and people making things using old skills that were just about gone and forgotten 20 years ago.

Seems like you're getting your wish Mark. I hear the price of anvils (used) has skyrocketed over the last few years.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I'm guessing they don't wholesale but I sent them an email. I might have to hide them in the shop so I don't get yelled at. :)
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
dAviD

Post by dAviD »

Bensbites wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:02 pm Didn’t I see shibata posting some on IG? Knife pan combo deal?
?!?!.

I saw the pans he was working on but I never really followed up to see if it was possible to get one or if it even went further than him just trying to work it out.

I've always used cadt iron and home which is cheap and easy to come by but lately I've had my eyes on trying out a lighter carbon steel pan. I wonder if the hammered texture helps with non-stick properties or if it would actually hurt.....
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

dAviD wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:16 pm
Bensbites wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:02 pm Didn’t I see shibata posting some on IG? Knife pan combo deal?
?!?!.

I saw the pans he was working on but I never really followed up to see if it was possible to get one or if it even went further than him just trying to work it out.

I've always used cadt iron and home which is cheap and easy to come by but lately I've had my eyes on trying out a lighter carbon steel pan. I wonder if the hammered texture helps with non-stick properties or if it would actually hurt.....
Posted today

Something like a matfer carbon steel skillet from many different retailers (such as amazon) would be $30-60 and a great entry point. I think they are pressed rolled steel and super smooth.
pecanbery

Post by pecanbery »

Nothing wrong with spending a bit extra on pans. I've got a few cast iron skillets/pans from these guys (http://www.solidteknics.com/solid-products2/) and the difference in quality definitely makes it worth the extra $$$.
Runner_up

Post by Runner_up »

These are beautiful. I love the look of the large roasting pan.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Shiba's pan doesn't hold the same appeal for me personally. It's made with a big press and doesn't have the handmade character that I like so much with the others. I don't know. Maybe I'm being a snob.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:44 am Shiba's pan doesn't hold the same appeal for me personally. It's made with a big press and doesn't have the handmade character that I like so much with the others. I don't know. Maybe I'm being a snob.
I agree and don't think you are being a snoob. It's slightly humorous ( mind you not wrong) that any knife nut would find spending more on a pan of higher quality ridiculous, being the amount of money we spend on knives.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Cutuu wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:55 am
ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:44 am Shiba's pan doesn't hold the same appeal for me personally. It's made with a big press and doesn't have the handmade character that I like so much with the others. I don't know. Maybe I'm being a snob.
I agree and don't think you are being a snoob. It's slightly humorous ( mind you not wrong) that any knife nut would find spending more on a pan of higher quality ridiculous, being the amount of money we spend on knives.
I agree. I want to get into iron pans very much but I am baulking at the $250 + price tag. Ironic when I spend way more than that on any given knife.
Especially when I know i will use the pan far more that any one knife I own.
I'm going to start off with a DeBuyer and see if a hole opens up in front of me later ;)
datster

Post by datster »

mauichef wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:55 pm I agree. I want to get into iron pans very much but I am baulking at the $250 + price tag. Ironic when I spend way more than that on any given knife.
Especially when I know i will use the pan far more that any one knife I own.
I'm going to start off with a DeBuyer and see if a hole opens up in front of me later ;)
We have a lot of cast iron we have collected over the years and it is great. But, we decided to try carbon steel for the lighter advantage and faster heat control. We travel past the Lodge factory a couple times a year so it only made sense our first would be a Lodge Carbon Steel pan. We absolutely loved it, then we bought a Debuyer. Oh my! Makes me feel that J-knife entry all over again, then the J-nat stone entry, now pans! What next? The ones here are stunning and yeah, I'm balking at the price, but maybe .................