I find these very attractive.

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Ut_ron

Re: I find these very attractive.

Post by Ut_ron »

datster wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:17 pm
mauichef wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:55 pm I agree. I want to get into iron pans very much but I am baulking at the $250 + price tag. Ironic when I spend way more than that on any given knife.
Especially when I know i will use the pan far more that any one knife I own.
I'm going to start off with a DeBuyer and see if a hole opens up in front of me later ;)
We have a lot of cast iron we have collected over the years and it is great. But, we decided to try carbon steel for the lighter advantage and faster heat control. We travel past the Lodge factory a couple times a year so it only made sense our first would be a Lodge Carbon Steel pan. We absolutely loved it, then we bought a Debuyer. Oh my! Makes me feel that J-knife entry all over again, then the J-nat stone entry, now pans! What next? The ones here are stunning and yeah, I'm balking at the price, but maybe .................
Do you like the Debuyer better than the lodge? I am just started looking around so Was interested in your thoughts.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
datster

Post by datster »

Ut_ron wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:56 pm
mauichef wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:55 pm I agree. I want to get into iron pans very much but I am baulking at the $250 + price tag. Ironic when I spend way more than that on any given knife.
I'm going to start off with a DeBuyer and see if a hole opens up in front of me later ;)
We have a lot of cast iron we have collected over the years and it is great. But, we decided to try carbon steel for the lighter advantage and faster heat control. We travel past the Lodge factory a couple times a year so it only made sense our first would be a Lodge Carbon Steel pan. We absolutely loved it, then we bought a Debuyer. Oh my! Makes me feel that J-knife entry all over again, then the J-nat stone entry, now pans! What next? The ones here are stunning and yeah, I'm balking at the price, but maybe .................
Do you like the Debuyer better than the lodge? I am just started looking around so Was interested in your thoughts.
They cook really close, funny thing is, I like the Debuyer better, my wife likes the Lodge. The Debuyer has a much nicer finish overall.
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

LOL you guys are a lot of help.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Which DeBuyer did you get..a Carbon or a Mineral B?
datster

Post by datster »

mauichef wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:48 pm
Mineral B, is a little weird to season but once it is, it's real nice
eyewanders

Post by eyewanders »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:41 am Mr. I need to reduce my inventory (that's me) loves these: https://blanccreatives.com/allitems
Those are lovely. Look remarkably similar in construction and aesthetic to Bluskillet - a husband/wife team in Ballard in Seattle that have been making continuously sold-out waiting-list cookery like this for some years now. I've tried a few times to get one but always strike out. They're remarkable.

https://bluskilletironware.com
---Kevin
old onion

Post by old onion »

datster wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:55 pm
How so? I mean,I have two deBuyers Minerals.One I have found to take seasoning quite well,this new one I just got is giving me a hard time. I like my deBuyers and Matfers but I keep checking out those nice handmade jobs.Someday.....
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

old onion wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:17 am
datster wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:55 pm

How so? I mean,I have two deBuyers Minerals.One I have found to take seasoning quite well,this new one I just got is giving me a hard time. I like my deBuyers and Matfers but I keep checking out those nice handmade jobs.Someday.....
I had trouble seasoning big my matfer. Once I started making pancakes with a little spray canola oil the seasoning stuck.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

eyewanders wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:41 am
ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:41 am Mr. I need to reduce my inventory (that's me) loves these: https://blanccreatives.com/allitems
Those are lovely. Look remarkably similar in construction and aesthetic to Bluskillet - a husband/wife team in Ballard in Seattle that have been making continuously sold-out waiting-list cookery like this for some years now. I've tried a few times to get one but always strike out. They're remarkable.

Those are fantastic looking. I have to control myself. Otherwise I can foresee a “skillets to go” in my future. :)
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
old onion

Post by old onion »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:33 am

Those are fantastic looking. I have to control myself. Otherwise I can foresee a “skillets to go” in my future. :)
No doubt.There is just something about having something with personality built into it by someone's skillful hands.
old onion

Post by old onion »

Bensbites wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:00 am
old onion wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:17 am
datster wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:55 pm Mineral B, is a little weird to season but once it is, it's real nice
I had trouble seasoning big my matfer. Once I started making pancakes with a little spray canola oil the seasoning stuck.
Might have to try that on this one.I usually season with peanut oil like I did my woks and have also tried Avacado oil,flaxseed oil,olive oil and canola.Canola and peanut oil,I've had the most luck with.VERY,VERY THIN coats is what works,anything more is gummy.
slobound

Post by slobound »

You guys are killing me with this thread! I am supposed to be saving for knives!!!
-- Garrick
old onion

Post by old onion »

slobound wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:30 am You guys are killing me with this thread! I am supposed to be saving for knives!!!
Well then slo,I'd say you have a problem because if you don't hurry up,there might not be anymore left. :lol:
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Both Blanc and Blue look so sweet.
Christmas is coming and if I don't ask Santa for something sharp................ :mrgreen:
slobound

Post by slobound »

old onion wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:27 pm
slobound wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:30 am You guys are killing me with this thread! I am supposed to be saving for knives!!!
Well then slo,I'd say you have a problem because if you don't hurry up,there might not be anymore left. :lol:
:lol: Enablers! All of you... :lol:
-- Garrick
eyewanders

Post by eyewanders »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:33 am

Word is they perform every bit as good as or better than they look as well. :) Hope to win a lottery one of these times, though most months I just forget entirely or don't have the funds.

I cook on stainless these days - settled into as a favorite. I've two cast irons remaining, and two nice enameled dutch oven pieces, but everything else is old Faberware or Revere Ware I've inherited or picked up over the years. It has to be something like the type of work from the two ironworks in this thread to tempt me otherwise anymore, for a huge net gain. :)
---Kevin
eyewanders

Post by eyewanders »

mauichef wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:34 pm Both Blanc and Blue look so sweet.
Christmas is coming and if I don't ask Santa for something sharp................ :mrgreen:
I'm dreaming of a blanc (or blue) Christmassssss... just like the ones I've only wished I'd knowwwww...
---Kevin
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

Well I mostly just lurk here, BUT I bought a Blanc Creatives 11 inch skillet a while back and love it! My wife and I have cast iron, enameled cast iron, stainless, and carbon steel pans. I bought this because we wanted something that worked great and was hand crafted like our knives. This fits the bill and is beautifully done. I look forward to getting additional pieces eventually. The Blanc Creatives skillet is out on the stovetop and is our "go to" skillet.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Shiba asked me to try a few of his new skillets and I said yes so one is coming home with me and the other 2 will hit the site.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Dkroe3

Post by Dkroe3 »

These pans are awesome, wish I had some of my own!