Konosuke MM Info Please?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
salemj

Re: Konosuke MM Info Please?

Post by salemj »

enjay wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:10 pm Is the Ginsan noticeably shorter (in height) or are the photos just misleading?
They have varied. The Ginsan are closer to 48mm x 230; the B2 started taller than this, but several more recent issues seem to now have the same pattern as the Ginsan (closer to 48mm), at least if the custom handle option pages are accurate.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Marc4pt0

Post by Marc4pt0 »

My carbon clocked in at 49.5, on the ol calipers
salemj

Post by salemj »

Marc4pt0 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:19 pm My carbon clocked in at 49.5, on the ol calipers
Ah. Interesting. That is about the height of my carbon. So maybe they are still taller in general, although I also am confident that I've read 1-2 reports of recent carbon purchases where the buyer was a little annoyed that they were shorter. Perhaps it is something Mark needs to weigh in on.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

I’m not at all annoyed about it, but my B2 is exactly 48mm
salemj

Post by salemj »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:52 pm I’m not at all annoyed about it, but my B2 is exactly 48mm
There ya go. That is inline with the Ginsan. So I guess it is hard to know.
~J

Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

It could all just be normal variation of handmade knives, who knows. At any rate, my MM is at the same level of quality and performance as my recent Fuji. My Fuji is right on 50mm height but the 2mm difference sounds like more than it really is. Like Marc’s traces, my copies are pretty close.

I’m currently lusting after a Fuji 270, but i think that romance will end fast if 270 MMs ever show up.

Here are my traces and comparisons for reference if anyone’s interested.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7432
OgerBash

Post by OgerBash »

I'll second the hope of a 270 MM. I'll be grabbing one as soon as they come in if Mark get them to make them.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Marc4pt0 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:51 pm Here's a drawing showing the outline of three very similar knives.

B2 Fujiyama
B1 Damascus Fujiyama
MM B2

All are 240's by title.

I think you'll be surprised how close these are
Are these forged, then the profile Die Cut? That’s how I would do it for reproducibility. I don’t know, I am just asking.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Marc4pt0 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:51 pm Here's a drawing showing the outline of three very similar knives.

B2 Fujiyama
B1 Damascus Fujiyama
MM B2

All are 240's by title.

I think you'll be surprised how close these are
How is the grind comparisons and especially the distal taper comparisons. The new fujis have a pretty thin tip, definitely whispy. I was curious about the mm tip and distal taper.
Marc4pt0

Post by Marc4pt0 »

I'll take a pic, but I can say I did compare them. By eye they look identical. But by FEEL the MM is a touch thicker. So I just convexed behind the edge on the MM and it cuts beautifully. Just as good.
bosco

Post by bosco »

Ok folks l... I entered paralysis by analysis

Ginsan or b2 please please please help

Post by 5698k »

I keep sayin B2.
Marc4pt0

Post by Marc4pt0 »

B2 buddy. But I haven't used the ginsan.
bosco

Post by bosco »

Done deal. Mark will be shipping my Fuji and mm both in b2
Marc4pt0

Post by Marc4pt0 »

Good choices!
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

bosco wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:53 pm Done deal. Mark will be shipping my Fuji and mm both in b2
I would of went ginsan, but I like variety. I'm sure it will be sweet. Like a double scoop of ice cream instead of one.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Marc4pt0 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:24 pm I'll take a pic, but I can say I did compare them. By eye they look identical. But by FEEL the MM is a touch thicker....
I have the MM pass around knife and a new Fuji B2 from the latest batch and I can say too that by the eye the profile of the two do look identical. The MM does look thicker at the spine and feels heavier/more stout just in hand. I weighed them though and the MM was only 6g heavier(181g vs 187g).
Just eying the grinds the MM looks thicker at the spine but thinner behind the edge than the Fuji.
At the end of the pass around I will post pictures and measurement of both these knives in comparison. It's hard to describe at this moment without actual hands on use but initial impressions, these two knives look very much the same yet definitely feel very different in hand. The grinds are different but I expect excellent performance from each.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
salemj

Post by salemj »

I don’t have a new FM yet, but based on the old Fujiyamas, I feel like the MM has a higher thinner grind at the tip and more back weight above the heel. Both of these features make it feel a lot different than the more continuous shinogi line thickness that extends through the old Fujiyama. It also means the MM has better release on shallower things at the heel, and slightly worse release with wet ingredients closer to the tip. Those are just some current speculations. Honestly, I think these differences are probably WAY more subtle when compared to the new FM models.
~J

Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:40 am
Marc4pt0 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:24 pm I'll take a pic, but I can say I did compare them. By eye they look identical. But by FEEL the MM is a touch thicker....
I have the MM pass around knife and a new Fuji B2 from the latest batch and I can say too that by the eye the profile of the two do look identical. The MM does look thicker at the spine and feels heavier/more stout just in hand. I weighed them though and the MM was only 6g heavier(181g vs 187g).
Just eying the grinds the MM looks thicker at the spine but thinner behind the edge than the Fuji.
At the end of the pass around I will post pictures and measurement of both these knives in comparison. It's hard to describe at this moment without actual hands on use but initial impressions, these two knives look very much the same yet definitely feel very different in hand. The grinds are different but I expect excellent performance from each.
That matches my impression of these two knives. Very very similar. For me a big part of the difference in feel is the choil and neck area. Other than that I don’t notice much difference between the two.
faverodefavero

Post by faverodefavero »

So Konosuke has a new blacksmith besides Tanaka (father and son) doing traditional SanMae (as in iron cladded and carbon steel core, water quenched) now? That's nice...